anyone out there tuned w/o a j&s - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
boostedsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68495
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT 5-Door

Points 747, Level 14
Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 boostedsvtf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
anyone out there tuned w/o a j&s

I know its not wise but I really don't wanna shell out over 500 bucks for it. anyone out there done it sucessfully.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Pzev04boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17658
What I Drive: 04 focus zts

FF Reputation: 4 Pzev04boy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsvtf View Post
I know its not wise but I really don't wanna shell out over 500 bucks for it. anyone out there done it sucessfully.
Yes. but at lower boost & power levels with a consertvative tune.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,694, Level 98
Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
sure, any dyno shop can do it for you.

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
I am tuning without any knock control (sensor turned off due to jibberish) and its going well, just have to keep tabs on it until I get the cold weather spark addition worked out.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207523

A lot of people are skeptical about this but I assure you it is working great for me and the 4 other Focus owners that have tried it to my knowledge (including 1 SVT)

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
bmylez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, it's definitely doable seeing that some cars don't even have knock sensors. The thing I like about the J&S is I don't have to do anything...it does it all for me .
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 10-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Points 10,941, Level 69
Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
The J&S doesn't quite do EVERYTHING for you. The J&S is better than nothing, but you can definitely hear knock before the J&S will detect it.

I'm the SVT owner/tuner illinipo mentioned. I started off using both a datalogged J&S and the "listening to the knock sensor" method, and wound up selling the J&S because I deemed it an unnecessary expense.

With that said, I still understand why guys like Tom insist their customers use a J&S. Datalogging knock is a necessity for remote tuning a boosted SVTF, and AFAIK the J&S is still the only way to do that.

Here's a thread about my tuning/datalogging setup... http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207339
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I've had my S/C tuned without since I've had it for nearly 60K miles although I have a pretty conservative tune. I know it's not technically the safest way of doing thing and if I had higher a boost application like 10psi+ with a turbo or Procharger I would def have one.

Are you talking being tuned N/A without J/S? If so it's perfectly safe.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,376, Level 100
Points: 51,376, Level: 100 Points: 51,376, Level: 100 Points: 51,376, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Ill say it again, I have been playing with the J&S vs listening to it and have found some issues that are not the same car to car , I am not through playing with this method but do not at this time trust it enough to do boost with it just yet , Keep in mind that what you hear is AFTER the sensivity adjustment through the ECU that has proven to be incorrectly set on the SVT and if you have a ZX3 that the KS isnt working on then that alone tells you there is already issues with the readings the KS is sending the ECU and what your hearing , if the sensivity is wrong then what your hearing is wrong as well , to low of timing can be as bad as to much timing

There is other ways I am backing up is the timing I am taking out from what I hear +/- HP/TQ , I can remove timing from what I hear and I loose power and if you have knock and take out the right amount of timing there should be no power loss and there is

Im just saying this hasent fully been tested and from what I am seeing so far there is no way I would trust this over a J&S at this time , I feel the issue with the Focus is the sensivity adjustment (all 4 cyl have there own sensivity/gain setting) and most out there dont have the ability to adjust this setting , This setting needs to be correctly set before any readings ,logs , listening to should be done

And no you cant hear it faster then the J&S can respond to it , you have to have knock to get a response from the J&S once it hears it its gone either that or you can think faster then the next time the piston can come to the top of the cyl and altho you are a smart guy your not that fast , you would hear the same even if your KS was working properly , you have to have knock to activate the knock sensor

The BIG downfall to the listening for knock tuning is ? Are you going to ride around all day every day every tank of tuel every time you make boost to see if you have got bad gas , info from sensors that can cause knock at any time , and a large number of other things that will cause knock NO your not , BUT the J&S will do this for you , take out a safe amount of timing and let you know it is doing it SAFELY

I understand you dont have the funds for a 500.00 J&S , do you have 1500-2000 for a new engine ?

My o2

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
MOVED to "Forced Induction Chat"
^^^Since I'm assuming, it's for this:
SPA turbo kit still in progress
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Keep in mind that what you hear is AFTER the sensivity adjustment through the ECU that has proven to be incorrectly set on the SVT and if you have a ZX3 that the KS isnt working on then that alone tells you there is already issues with the readings the KS is sending the ECU and what your hearing , if the sensivity is wrong then what your hearing is wrong as well , to low of timing can be as bad as to much timing
The way I have it hooked up is before the ECU. I'm listening directly to the sensor before adjustments. So thats not correct at least in my case.

Quote:
The BIG downfall to the listening for knock tuning is ? Are you going to ride around all day every day every tank of tuel every time you make boost to see if you have got bad gas , info from sensors that can cause knock at any time , and a large number of other things that will cause knock NO your not , BUT the J&S will do this for you , take out a safe amount of timing and let you know it is doing it SAFELY
Yes you do have to take a listen after every fill up to check for bad gas, but it takes me 3 seconds to push the aux button and turn up the volume on my stereo. I'm ok with that. Also it recently got colder so I had to check the ACT timing adder, and sure enough I had some very light knock so I just pulled the adder back a bit and now there is no knock at all... In MY SITUATION not necessarily everyone's, having to do these little things once in a while is a lot better and easier than dealing with an overactive knock sensor or having no knock sensor at all.

Quote:
And no you cant hear it faster then the J&S can respond to it , you have to have knock to get a response from the J&S once it hears it its gone either that or you can think faster then the next time the piston can come to the top of the cyl and altho you are a smart guy your not that fast , you would hear the same even if your KS was working properly , you have to have knock to activate the knock sensor
I don't think Matt was trying to say he is faster at responding. What he was saying is he can hear knock before the J&S registers that there is knock. For instance, he can hear knock at say, 23 degrees, but the J&S wont pick it up until 24 degrees. Of course we wont be faster than electronics at responding to it, but at least in his case he could detect it before the electronics could.

Quote:
There is other ways I am backing up is the timing I am taking out from what I hear +/- HP/TQ , I can remove timing from what I hear and I loose power and if you have knock and take out the right amount of timing there should be no power loss and there is

Yes there are downfalls to the listening method, I don't deny that. If you are willing to work with these downfalls then it works quite well. This method is not for everyone. I am using it because I have a mechanical issue that is causing my knock sensor to go crazy (lots of valve lash, and my buckets supplier has been less than prompt...) Personally I dont care about the HP/TQ changes, if my engine is knocking I will pull timing until it doesnt.

Overall, Tom makes a lot of good points here and like we have both said this method is not for everyone.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.