"reflash?" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
skattruggles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8417
What I Drive: 2004 zx3 2.3L pzev PITCH BLACK

FF Reputation: 1 skattruggles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
"reflash?"

I heard that it would void the warranty if I were to get the computer reprogrammed, or "flashed" as i believe it is called? Is this the case, because I have a friend that'll do it for me for free. Please help me to understand...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
aero_student
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1979
What I Drive: '03 Focus ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 aero_student Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
no way your friend can do it. the only people out there that can are SCT. nobody else has the hardware and software.

as far as the warranty thing, that depends on the dealer.
MarcyMotorsport:CAI, balanced 11.6:1 motor with ranger crank, cosworth flywheel, tumble flap delete, supertec valve springs, crane cams, clutch master stg I clutch, protoype MarcyMotorsport 2.5" exhaust, FC throttlebody, Quaife, svt bumpers and brakes, full energy bushings, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
skattruggles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8417
What I Drive: 2004 zx3 2.3L pzev PITCH BLACK

FF Reputation: 1 skattruggles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Huh. Well, I guess I'll hafta talk to this guy again. He was 100% confident that he would be able to do it. I guess I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
What would reflashing the computer do?
Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
Old 07-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
aero_student
Focus Fanatic

If you have the right hardware and software, ie SCT, you can tune the car.
MarcyMotorsport:CAI, balanced 11.6:1 motor with ranger crank, cosworth flywheel, tumble flap delete, supertec valve springs, crane cams, clutch master stg I clutch, protoype MarcyMotorsport 2.5" exhaust, FC throttlebody, Quaife, svt bumpers and brakes, full energy bushings, etc.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by aero_student
If you have the right hardware and software, ie SCT, you can tune the car.
hey aero, just for curiosity, the reflash should be done by someone with experience with tuning right???? If so, wouldn't it make sense to get the cam gears and the ecu done at the same time or am i way off on this one
Old 07-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #7
aero_student
Focus Fanatic

they can be done separately. the cam gears are a mechannical form of tuning that cannot be done through the computer and are separate ideas. the computer tuning is more about your a/f ratio and things like that.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:05 AM   #8
MarlboroMan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100
What I Drive: 06 Frontier KC 2X4 6-spd

FF Reputation: 1 MarlboroMan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by aero_student
they can be done separately. the cam gears are a mechannical form of tuning that cannot be done through the computer and are separate ideas. the computer tuning is more about your a/f ratio and things like that.
But it all plays into the same tune... what is holding back marcy at the moment... (from getting more power from the cam timing) is the lack of the ecu flash, when he can start playing with that... then expect to see some real serious gains from the cam timing... also the cams them selves.... as well as the valve springs... (being able to go above redline... and produce more power doing it)... stock out of the box, the computer is programed to provide the best performance possible, while still being echnomical, and reliable... (pzev is probably more on the econimical side though)... but it all works together...
#### FS Cat Back Exhaust ####
#######################
In a world that is crazy it is insane not to be.
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,marlboroman.png
Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 AM   #9
Red Baron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1194
What I Drive: '02 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Red Baron Good Standing Member
How much would it normally cost to get it done. And where would I go? My car is basically all stock, would it really be worth doing? (I'll probably only be getting exhaust and intake in the future if anything)
Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #10
aero_student
Focus Fanatic

I totally agree that it all works together. I was just saying that they can be done separately. SCT is what is holding everyone back right now. We are pretty much at the limit of what can be done without tuning. The new valvesprings are going to make a big difference in how the car behaves up top. The stage 1 cams were good for something like 15whp, I can only imagine what a big difference tuning will make.

red baron, if youa re referring to the reflash, nobody can do it, if you wre talking about the cam gear tuning it is worth it. you really should do the intake first though, the difference will be massive.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.