Hard to shift when cold - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
jbanks25
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52824
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST Street Ed.

FF Reputation: 1 jbanks25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hard to shift when cold

I just got a 2006 ZX4 ST and the last 2 mornings it's been down in the single digets and when I have gotten into the car it has been hard to get out of gear, then put it in another gear to go. (I usually park in 1st, but need to change from 1st to R to leave my driveway). Now there is an obvious solution to this problem (Park in R), but I'd rather know if this is a common problem, and something I can get addressed under the 3/36 warranty. Please let me know. Thanks.

Going down the road the car shifts fine, it is just the initial 2 or 3 shifts that are immpossible without exerting some serious force.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Weldman0730
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52834
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 22 Weldman0730 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dont know much about transmissions and im assuming your talking about a standard(manual) transmission/transaxle, but I would look and make sure i have enough oil in the transmission/transaxle, there should be a plug in the front of the transaxle on the drivers side, I think, but im not 100% sure, that the oil level should be filled up to that plug(the plug unscrews with an allen wrench). Check your owners manual to be sure. If it is hard to shift, try not to put too much force on the shifter, the support base for the stock shifter is weak, I broke mine pretty quick and i didnt have a problem with the shifting, once you break that it makes it hard to shift too and you could get stranded if it totally breaks.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
GaryS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32600
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3, 1990 Mazda Miata (

FF Reputation: 4 GaryS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks25 View Post
I just got a 2006 ZX4 ST and the last 2 mornings it's been down in the single digets and when I have gotten into the car it has been hard to get out of gear, then put it in another gear to go. (I usually park in 1st, but need to change from 1st to R to leave my driveway). Now there is an obvious solution to this problem (Park in R), but I'd rather know if this is a common problem, and something I can get addressed under the 3/36 warranty. Please let me know. Thanks.

Going down the road the car shifts fine, it is just the initial 2 or 3 shifts that are immpossible without exerting some serious force.
The oil in the transmission gets cold too.

Put the car in neutral and let it idle for a short time. That will warm the transmission lube and make for easier shifting. If I don't do that in the mornings it will will be really hard to shift into reverse. Thinner transmission oil will help but may be too thin for summer temperatures.

Cold weather is a bitch isn't it.?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

Points 3,633, Level 37
Points: 3,633, Level: 37 Points: 3,633, Level: 37 Points: 3,633, Level: 37
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine does the same thing, i wouldnt worry about it
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
jbanks25
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52824
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST Street Ed.

FF Reputation: 1 jbanks25 Good Standing Member
I guess I'll just have to start it and let it idle for a bit while I scrape my windows. :) Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
remusrm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1250
What I Drive: 09 MS3

FF Reputation: 1 remusrm Good Standing Member
Quote:

is just ford... mine does it too... and is not even that cold, around 35-60 it does it too

BUT NOW I GOT A MS3!!!
294hp/356tq he he:-)
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
focusnurse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51952
What I Drive: 2005 Blazing Orange ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focusnurse Good Standing Member
She's tight ... what's wrong with that ...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,689, Level 86
Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86 Points: 18,689, Level: 86
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 50 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Try running a better quality transmission fluid. I'm running Amsoil ATF and have been for 3 years now in my MTX75 5 speed. The last week or so it has been below 0*F, lows near -20. It was finally getting a little stiff but nothing that was real tough to manage. Also the shift cables are usually more of a problem than the tranny itself.

But I think you are talking about an automatic transmission. In which case you can run the same oil I am. New filter and new fluid can make a world of difference.
But yes, any time you let the car sit and idle to warm up place it in Neutral and apply the parking brake. The fluid will circulate and warm, making it easier to shift when you leave.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
LikwidZX5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34180
What I Drive: 2006 ST w/ SAP2

Points 1,960, Level 26
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 LikwidZX5 Good Standing Member
i've had the same problem the last few days when its been that cold, it goes away after the car has warmed up.

MW/SR/D23/ST Crew
Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Timmah!
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36324
What I Drive: 2k7 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 Timmah! Good Standing Member
Quote:

It's normal. I live in North Dakota, and we had a few days where it was well below zero, and it can become difficult to shift. Just let your car warm up for a minute or two in the morning before taking off, and take it easy until your car gets to normal operating temperature.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.