Am I getting ripped off? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
YELLOW BIRD
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2015
What I Drive: '05 Toyo Matrix Black Sand Pearl --used to drive '03 ZX5 eggyolk yellow

FF Reputation: 1 YELLOW BIRD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Am I getting ripped off?

I want to lower my zx5 so I went to local shop and they quoted $550.00 just for springs. They said I would need 4 wheel alignment at $100.00 and probably a camber kit (I think that's what he called it) for an additional $200.00 -- So, he's talking $850.00 plus tax
Is that too much? How come I see name brand springs for around $150 ? Is it really that labor intensive to put them on? And would the approx 1.6 inches really make that much of a difference in the look and ride of the car for that amount of money?

Soooo sorry if these are all dumb questions but I'm still in shock about the quoted cost

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
WOW $550 for springs is ridiculous and the camber kit could be had for less than $100. Replacing springs is not that hard to do especially with a lift and could easily be done in 1 hour. Also as far as i know a camber kit would not be needed unless you are going lower than 2 inches.
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
YELLOW BIRD
Focus Addict

What I Drive: '05 Toyo Matrix Black Sand Pearl --used to drive '03 ZX5 eggyolk yellow

see...I don't no much about cars but I thought 550 was a lot of money for springs...so for 1 hour he would charge about $400 -- guess I won't be getting it done there -- thanks for the info..
Old 08-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Silver03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
I was quoted $400 for a complete drop, dont know if they wanted to cut the springs or if they were included, but $850 out the door is alot.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 08-03-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
pharcyde253
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5402
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 pharcyde253 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I paid 160 for my new pro kits, 300(?) for my eibach dampers, put them on with a friend who knew what he was doing in the drive way and couldnt be happier. Dont pay that amount!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
FocusHatch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10021
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusHatch Good Standing Member
$550 is way too much. When I had my mustang I bought a set of Eibach sportlines (2 inch drop) for $125 and $200 for labor. With the Focus I bought the whole kit...springs and dampers for $375 shipped and my father and I put them on in a couple of hours in the driveway with a few tools and a couple of jacks. I wouldnt pay more than $400 and I still think that is way too much. The rears are easy b/c you dont have to compress them...If you dont feel comfortable compressing springs I would do the rears and have a shop do the front. That could save some money. Hope this helps?!?!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
YELLOW BIRD
Focus Addict

thanks for the info guys...maybe cuz I'm a girl they figure jack the price up...oh well, I guess I won't be lowering it anytime soon cuz I can't do it myself...I'll keep pricing around tho
Old 08-04-2004, 06:25 AM   #8
frogg5872
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
got my teins for $100 (2 in. drop), camber (4 wheel) for 140 and the dampners for $300. $540.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #9
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
yeah, definitely keep looking if you aren't comfortable doing that yourself. I can't think of any springs (was it just them or springs and shocks?) worth $500? And you shouldn't need a camber kit if you're lowering less than 2" anyways... I also thought the Eibach cambe rkit could be had for arouns $30 which is so much less than 200!?!

I hate when shops jack prices because they think the person standing in front of them is stupid... it's such a bad way to earn customers!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
YELLOW BIRD
Focus Addict

just springs and installation..I almost choked on my own spit when I heard his price...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.