HELP: Rear right Turn Signal not working! NOT BULB! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
QdrivesaZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54018
What I Drive: 2006 Grey ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 QdrivesaZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
HELP: Rear right Turn Signal not working! NOT BULB!

I drive a 2003 ZX3 and 2 days ago the front right signal started to blink very rapidly. The rear right turn signal doesn't work at all. The running lights in the back still work just fine at night and during the day, but no turn signal on rear right tail light. I can't figure out what the problem is. The ones on the left work just fine (brake light and turn signal on left). ALso since this started the "battery" symbol is coming off and on on the dashborad randomly. So watever the issue is it's preventing the battery form properly charging. Driving home from work today my stereo turned off...the windows/wipers were noticeably slow...the turn signals even slowed down...n the locks stopped working. Once ip arked my car at home it wouldn't immediately restart. The power to the windows/locks/stereo returned...so obviously the battery is low charge (i just bought the battery in dec.) Please help.

Im not sure about the break lights because i haven't had the opportunity to check it with someone standing behind me. The problem seemingly came out of no where i was taking my normal route to work. I did not hit a pot hole or anything but next thing i knew i had super fast blinking right turn...i assumed the bulb was out, but that does not seem to be the case.

I got rear-ended a couple of weeks ago. Very light damage---i was dead stopped on high way and guy rolled into me (maybe doign 25 mph or less?)...could that have caused this issue? Maybe some wiring got loose? ANy ideas?

If i can get the car to run im taking it to the ford dealership to get an estimate for insurance. So i'll ask them whats up there also.

Thanks in advance.

-Q

Hello 2006 Grey ZX3! 10/18/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
whitefox
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54401
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony CC 2dr coupe SES 5spd

Points 1,952, Level 26
Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 35 whitefox Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A few things come to mind as to what to check. First off, did you replace the bulb? If the brake/turn side of the bulb is shorted (broken filament and reattached itself to ground or the running light filament). This could also cause the battery problem, shorting to ground would cause battery drain. The next thing I would check is the wiring harness in the hatch. The hatches are notorious for getting wire insulation for getting rubbed off or cracked causing it to short to ground and cause problems. If you did not change the bulb, change it (small investment). If the bulb does not fix it, start tracing wires in the hatch. Look for any place that the insulation has worn off or is damaged.
2008 Focus Ebony Clearcoat 2dr SES 5spd
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,102, Level 97
Points: 27,102, Level: 97 Points: 27,102, Level: 97 Points: 27,102, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It sounds like your turn signal wire is grounded/shorted somewhere in the circuit. The wiring harness is not that difficult to trace down. Check the color and stripe on the wire near the bulb connector, and if your car was built like mine the wiring harness runs down the left (driver's) side of the vehicle. Fold the back seat up to be sure, and you should see it. I'd then pull the left side rear interior trim- which comes out from the back.

We have some other FF's who have access to more descriptive wiring diagrams than I do, so maybe they can help you figure out how to test the wiring from the front. You'll need an electrical tester, and some knowledge of how it checks continuity or resistance to test this. I'd first test for power at the connector, and pull on the wires going into the connector to see if one was loose as most wiring problems are not the wiring, but the connector.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
QdrivesaZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54018
What I Drive: 2006 Grey ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 QdrivesaZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thanks for the info. It ended up being the alternator...and now that car is been totaled and gone :( but good news is insurance gave me more then i paid for it 1.5 years (30k miles) ago for it! I upgraded to an 2006 ZX3 SES...

Hello 2006 Grey ZX3! 10/18/2009

Bookmarks & Social Networks