Rear Shocks Still Perfect at 78,000miles - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rear Shocks Still Perfect at 78,000miles

I decided to do a little preventive maintenance on my 2001 ZTS. Timing belt, etc, prepatory for a cross-country trip this winter. I removed both rear shock absorbers expecting to find them having flabbiness and general decrepitude at 78,000 miles. Instead, I found them to both be in perfect working order with good gas charge and plenty of damping left. In fact, they bench tested as good as the new ones I replaced them with. They'd have gone to 100,000 miles with zero problem.

What wasn't good were the two lower shock mounting bolts. They were very badly rusted and in dire need of replacing. It took impact tools to get them out. Interestingly, the new replacement bolts from Ford are of an improved shoulder-bolt-style design with no washer, a beefier flange head, and were GALVANIZED! (Way to go Ford!) Also, I encountered a fair amount of rust in the shock tower that I cleaned out, then sprayed with cold galvanizing compound (good for salty environments) and rust-proofed the area with 3M's "888" rustproofing compound.

Moral of the story: Shocks these days seem to last a lot longer then they used to. At least mine did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 44 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
thats great man, most of us ant as lucky, i think i replaced mine with around 80,000 and they were shot and then my roush replacements only lasted 20,000. but more power to ya if they are in great shape!

where abouts in WNY are you? i grew up near rochester.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thats pretty cool. Good thing you found those bolts before they permanently rust-welded themselves in. haha
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Robotaz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67570
What I Drive: '13 Mustang V6 vert

FF Reputation: 4 Robotaz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you can push down on the corner of your car and watch to see if your shocks are bad. It shouldn't require taking them off the car. My Mazda MX3 has 210,000 miles on it and the factory struts/shocks are fine. I would be very pissed off if mine were trashed my 80K.

'13 Mustang V6 vert, grabber blue
Mods: Tint
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
you can push down on the corner of your car and watch to see if your shocks are bad. It shouldn't require taking them off the car. My Mazda MX3 has 210,000 miles on it and the factory struts/shocks are fine. I would be very pissed off if mine were trashed my 80K.

The old bounce test doesn't work well with gas charged shocks. The seals/valving are so much better now as well. It was a decent indicator when shocks had only fluid in them.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Robotaz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67570
What I Drive: '13 Mustang V6 vert

FF Reputation: 4 Robotaz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
The old bounce test doesn't work well with gas charged shocks. The seals/valving are so much better now as well. It was a decent indicator when shocks had only fluid in them.
It seems like bounce and overshoot would be the same regardless, but I'll take your word for it.

'13 Mustang V6 vert, grabber blue
Mods: Tint
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
The gas, although not its intended design/function, can provide some dampening at low levels of compression and rebound. Hand bouncing it is about the lowest/least work a damper will do, besides sitting still.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
rear shock absorbers, shock absorbers, suspension