Focus power stage 1 turbo kit --Dyno inside-- - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Focus power stage 1 turbo kit --Dyno inside--

Tom at focus power installed his stage 1 turbo kit on a stock focus, its only other mod were adjustable cam gears.

The differences between this kit and toms "big" kit are, no intercooler or intercooler piping and a different turbocharger. The turbo with this kit won't make as much power as the turbo in his "big" kit.

The kit is non intercooled, makes 8 psi and as you can see below makes very nice power on 93 octane fuel.

Cost is $ 2,795.00 for the kit, tuning will also be needed. Toms sells his MIC kit with a calibrated MAF, 42 lb/hr injectors and a custom burned chip, the MIC is $ 850.

You could also source the MAF and injectors yourself and have say, an SCT chip tuned for your car. There are a few choices out there for tuning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Ok, stupid question: What happens in the absence of the intercooler? That makes me think that the engine/turbo would be prone to overheating, but at the same time I don't believe Tom would release a kit without one if it would cause issues. Bit of help?

It does look like a nice setup if you want the FI but don't want to go as hardcore as the full kit, a nice in between I guess is its target? Cool development at any rate.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
so close to 200 hp... for realatively cheap....

now if only Tom would make a kit for the SPI.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
punkdrummer18286
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9310
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 punkdrummer18286 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So how much of a hp and tq gain is there? Also, how much would it add to a 2004 SVTF.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
for the SVT you would have to get a differnt kit, this one is for the standard zetec.

as for gains, the stock zetec motor is rated at 130hp at the crank, this kit puts down 196 to the wheels. that is quite a nice improvment, though i dont remember the calulation of crank HP to wheel HP to give you an exact number.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
hitthewall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8181
FF Reputation: 1 hitthewall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil PZEV
Ok, stupid question: What happens in the absence of the intercooler? That makes me think that the engine/turbo would be prone to overheating, but at the same time I don't believe Tom would release a kit without one if it would cause issues. Bit of help?
your engine temp will be fine if you plan on running up to 8 psi. any more than that, and youll def. blow your engine. thats why most turbo kits will come with an intercooler, so you can push more psi.

RIP 03 ZX5

----98 EK hatchback----
b18c, Omni Power titanium valves, springs, and retainers, AEBS intake manifold, Spoon 70mm TB, J's Racing Carbon Intake, HKS adjustable Cam gears, Spoon Exhaust manifold, Spoon lightened flywheel + organic clutch kit, Spoon Bseries baffle oil pan, Honda HAMP oil filter, Mugen valve cover, spoon resivoir covers, PJDM carbon radiator shroud, PJDM triple point strut bar, TOP FUEL b+c pillar bar, PJDM X bar, Omni Power coilovers, Omni Power LCA's, spoon lower tie bar, Full Race traction bars, Spoon SW388's with 205/45/15 bfgoodrich Gforce Sport's, CTR headlights with retrofit HID's, CTR front and rear bumpers, JDM thin side moldings, spoon carbon duckbill wing spoon carbon front lip.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Intercooling in most modern turbo kits is usually needed when exceeding 10 psi, at least with the focus.

This kit is designed to be a low cost alternative to something like the vortech.

Also don't be so hung up on the #'s, at least the whp #'s, its the wtq #'s that are important, that is what makes the car accelerate, its what you feel.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:48 AM   #8
drewzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1213
What I Drive: silver 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 drewzx3 Good Standing Member
very nice
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I have the SVT STG1 kit finished as well just working the bugs out of the tuning

This kit is a 8/9PSI kit MAX unless you add an intercooler and the kit is 100% upgradeable to my full kit , This kit is made for the people that dont want to add high octane fuel but 93 IS A MUST 6/7 PSI and 91 fuel works great with a loss of about 10/15 HP/TQ

The cam gears were installed and dyno tuned but only netted 2.3 HP gain

This kit DOES NOT need a boost controller ,The above dyno was with only the external waste gate controlling the boost with a boost controler a little more mid range could be had

This kit DOES NOT need a BOV but a flange could be added at no charge if you feel the sound is needed

This kit DOES need tuning and tuning DOES NOT come in the 2795.00 cost of the kit

Hope this helps

Thanks focaltech for posting this

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
sasquatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 713
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 sasquatch Good Standing Member