Exposed wires on Coil Pack Wire Harness (SVT) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Mystic544
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17917
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Mystic544 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Exposed wires on Coil Pack Wire Harness (SVT)

So, Iíve been having some hesitation / sputter issues on my 2003 SVT Focus for a while, see:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194828

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206663

Ran a CEL check this morning and had these codes: P0304, B0808, P056C
Can't seen to find the post with all the codes listed on it???

Iíve replaced the fuel filter, coil pack, plug wires and spark plugs. Had a professional injector cleaning service (friend at BMW took care of that) and I have also taken apart and cleaned, the best that I could - the throttle body, MAF, IAC (guessing it is the round silver thing below the TB), and all the wire connections I could get at. Surprising how dirty that stuff gets!

After some discussion on what my SVT has been doing, most agreed it was probably an issue in the ignition system. So today I started taking wire connections apart to look for any break/tears or loose connections. Well...found a couple of exposed wires on the coil pack wire harness:

Hard to get the camera to focus in on the small breaks in the wire casing, but I think you can see the issue...

Now - What can I do to fix / replace?
Can one buy just that connector part out of the harness pack?
Is that the ($66CND) pigtail from ford some were talking about - and if so, does it have a part number or something I can reference the part guy with?

I sure as h*ll don't want to have to buy a whole new wire harness package - would probably cost a ton and be a bitch to install
I have a SVT - but If I found a junkyard Focus that I could snip off that connector & wire piece, would it matter what model Focus I found it on???

In the mean time I took a needle and dabbed some silicon on the exposed areas to try and at least contain the issue a little bit. Doubt it will solve the problem but hopefully will keep it from getting worse while I try to find a part to fix it with...

1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
All focus's use the same pigtail, so yes you could go to a JY and snip one off and use it. Also the Mustangs with a 4.6 use the same pigtail.

Somewhere on the site there is a how to fix the pigtail and a part number, but the stupid search function seem to be on the fritz and I can't find it.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
alz focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67546
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 5 alz focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
3U2Z14S411TNA
part number for new pigtail.

Have the same issue. Not sure about getting one from a jy since it will be just as old as the one on my car. BTW, there is no tension on my wire harness and it is still has exposed wires.
2006 Freestyle SEL AWD
Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Mystic544
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you for the part number
Now just need to the least expensive place to purchase it at

"stupid search function seem to be on the fritz" Ahhhh - that's why I can't search for the CEL Codes or the thread you taked about...

As a side note - the silicone I put around the exposed areas SEEM to have actually cleared up about 95% of the hesitation / sputter issue and No CEL light yet (just went to the gym and bank - 6 miles of driving). Just went back out into the garge to put some more on, figure if a little helped - more should add some extra security.

1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
greddy339
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63304
What I Drive: 2k ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 9 greddy339 Good Standing Member
make sure to solder the new pigtail in! a lot of people like to use butt connectors or electrical caps...
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
> make sure to solder the new pigtail in!

X2

As far as I'm concerned, all splcies should be soldered, but particularly ones like these which are more exposed to the weather and where a voltage drop can drmatically affect things.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
greddy339
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63304
What I Drive: 2k ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 9 greddy339 Good Standing Member
i remember there was this hack shop in california..that put lambo doors on a vette..well they butt connected and crimped the wire extensions that go through the door panel..needless to say the owner was pissed! in about 2 months the wires came apart from the butt connector and all his electrical locks, power windows..ect stopped working..
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
greygoose8732
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65707
What I Drive: 01' Liquid Grey S2, 03' Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 greygoose8732 Good Standing Member
If this harness doesn't fix your problem. Read this and try the second by pass of the DPFE. I changed by DPFE sensor after experiencing very similar problems. Changed mine Sunday afternoon and car hasn't been hesitating or sputtering since!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
DPFE is associated with EGR system and is not on SVT model. The connector will fix your problem. The problem is the factory wire harness is not long enough, and wires get pulled as engine moves on it's mounts. Inspect a junkyard item closely, as they are too short on the regular Focus too. The pigtail from Ford is about 8" long which allows you to add a couple inches to the harness when you put it in. I would definitely solder the leads and do one at a time as the new wires are not color coded. The 3U2Z-14S411-TNA is also in the catalogs as a WPT517, one is a Ford number, and the other is a Motorcraft number. my dealer had an easier time finding the WPT number for whatever reason.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Mystic544
Focus Enthusiast

Wink

Update - I got the pigtail installed last week and it did help - but not enough to clear up the issue.... still some obvious hesitations
So, last night I was reading some other posts about successful mods and re-read the info on spark plug gaps after new plugs, coil packs and wires have been installed...all suggesting bumping the plug gap out to .06. I had done this before finding the exposed wires on the coil pack harness and had returned it back to stock. So I figured - why not give it another try, now that the wire issue was "repaired"...And guess what - things smoothed out a TON
The drive today was better then it had been in a long time.
Still a minor hesitation here and there but power and drivability were much improved!
At this point I'm going to give it a few days to see if there are any changes, need to fill her up and see what kind of MPG's she gets and keep an eye on how the engine is running. I am tired of messing with this and believe it is probably as good as its going to get without falling into a random solution or maybe a performance tune...fingers crossed!

Tim
1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org

Bookmarks & Social Networks