SVT cylinder head on a standard zetec block - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #41
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No nothing in the Zetec head is interchangeable with anything in the SVT head , cams wont interchange

Only the intake side of the SVT head flows better the Exh side flows the same as the Zetec head , little to none of the added power the SVT has comes from the better flow it comes from the higher compression , bigger cams , SVT Header , header alone is 15hp

Your wasting your time , surface your head , add cams and cam gears and SVT header , SVT injectors/MAF and let it go

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #42
bennyfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50465
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Zx3

FF Reputation: 6 bennyfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
[Edit] I posted in the wrong forum pay no attention to this.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Your wasting your time , surface your head , add cams and cam gears and SVT header , SVT injectors/MAF and let it go

Tom
How much do I need to skim from the head?
How much difference do the injectors and MAF make?
I have the rest.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #44
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Bumping this back, have a couple of questions hope some pros can help me. With a regular zetec head and 9:1 pistons I was getting 180-185 all across. Changed to an SVT head shaving first .050 off and with a zetec HG, how much compression should I have? PSI is within 10% from each other but is just too low and I believe valves are staying open. How much should it be? 180-190?
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #45
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Your trying to equate cranking compression from static compression and that is going to be hard to do because changing the cam timing changes the cranking compression

Have you adjusted the cam gears on a dyno ? whats your cranking compression? Why did you go to a SVT head if you had a good Zetec head they dont make more power because the Exh side is basically the same between the 2 heads

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #46
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
With or without VCT?

Without - all depends on if you have the cams timed correct or not. I can vary anywhere from 170 to 220 depending on my cam timing.

With VCT - it'll seem low. IIRC in the 120 range.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #47
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Your trying to equate cranking compression from static compression and that is going to be hard to do because changing the cam timing changes the cranking compression

Have you adjusted the cam gears on a dyno ? whats your cranking compression? Why did you go to a SVT head if you had a good Zetec head they dont make more power because the Exh side is basically the same between the 2 heads

Tom
Was trying to equate cranking compression, cam gears set to 0 (same as zetec) VCT delete, getting 145psi right now when expecting around 190-200 maybe more. Reason for the swap was the custom intake, using SVT lower base and porting was so open the seals fitted inside the runner so went with what should have a better intake flow and bigger valves...busting my balls now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
With or without VCT?

Without - all depends on if you have the cams timed correct or not. I can vary anywhere from 170 to 220 depending on my cam timing.

With VCT - it'll seem low. IIRC in the 120 range.

If I had 210 I will be happy! That's what I was hoping for. How much your head is shaved and what degree in the cams?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #48
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Have you adjusted the cam gears on a dyno yet if not then by adjusting them closer to what they should be set to will increase your cranking compression

Take out a plug , install a compression tester , start with the intake gear , get a base compression , then move the intake cam gear 2 deg at a time till the compression stops going up then go back one , then do the same to the Exh this will get you very close to where the gears should be for getting to a dyno , there is no " 0 " setting because there is no pin in the cams and you have the VCT Elim which has a built in adv which you have to allow for , I would also take a good look at your gear Int gear and see if it out of round from the VCT Elim ,

Not busting you ball just curious why you went to all the trouble and cost to go to another head that wont make better HP worth the cost or trouble to make the change

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #49
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Head is shaved 0.045".
Cams, ... ... I can't recall exactly. I set them a different way that I never found on any Focus or zetec site. See if I can remember here.

I went by lift @ TDC --> http://www.catcams.com/products/camshafts/datasheet.aspx?ENGINE_id=163&CAMSETUP_id=543
Or at least used that as a baseline.

I downloaded a picture of a degree wheel and printed it to a CD. Used one of those sticky CD label things.
--Good degree wheel picture --> http://www.xs650.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1438&pictureid=14776
Made a little pointer out of a wire.
Used a cam bolt and couple washers to hold the CD in place.
Rotated the cam and watched my dial caliper until I got about to where the Cat specs were.

Or something similar to that.

Then I had a baseline to adjust the cam gears.

Trying to use the cam bar and one of the cam gears at full advance/retard and bringing it back to zero just never worked for me. Or at least no as well as degreeing the cam did.

And when I had the parts out I made this --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259167 (which you've probably found)

basically, I didn't use any of the cam tools.
Also, i find TDC by forcing #2 to BDC. If the cams aren't in the head, the valves are closed. So I used air pressure. Works great.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #50
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Have you adjusted the cam gears on a dyno yet if not then by adjusting them closer to what they should be set to will increase your cranking compression

Take out a plug , install a compression tester , start with the intake gear , get a base compression , then move the intake cam gear 2 deg at a time till the compression stops going up then go back one , then do the same to the Exh this will get you very close to where the gears should be for getting to a dyno , there is no " 0 " setting because there is no pin in the cams and you have the VCT Elim which has a built in adv which you have to allow for , I would also take a good look at your gear Int gear and see if it out of round from the VCT Elim ,

Not busting you ball just curious why you went to all the trouble and cost to go to another head that wont make better HP worth the cost or trouble to make the change

Tom
That sounds good. No no busting myself the balls for changing heads, should had stayed with what power I had.

Bookmarks & Social Networks