saw this intake manifold have a question about it - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
tuvok
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102442
What I Drive: 2010,Grey,SES

FF Reputation: 2 tuvok Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
saw this intake manifold have a question about it

Hey people got a Question for ya
I spotted this intake manifold on e-bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-FOCUS-DU...-/280710317695it says it will fit the 2010 Focus with modification im curious as to what would need to be modified to make this work. the price seems a lot better then the near 900.00 on the FSWerks site. if I can get the same benefit with this VS the FSWerks site I can live without the manifold saying powered by cosworth on it. im just wondering if anyone here has picked one of these up and if so
what did you have to modify to make it work not to mention what kind of Gains did you see ? Im not doing this today by any means im mearly kicking around Future upgrade ideas , right now my Focus will be a cat back exhaust to go with my new K&N typhoon intake then im looking into a performance exhaust header but at some point I would like to delete the plastic Intake on the engine Now. Thanks for any and all info on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thats the cossie copy cat one & I hear it works great. It needs a little clean up work, but nothing major. Of course you'd need supporting mods to go w/ it.= a 23 head, cams, header & a tune. Yea, that i/m looks awesome, but you'd lose some drivablity on a 20. So besides looks, I'd be asking= What are you looking for hp/torque wise?
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
tuvok
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102442
What I Drive: 2010,Grey,SES

FF Reputation: 2 tuvok Good Standing Member
This is my DD im not looking for CRAZY gains but id definetly like a little more pick me up...lol So Far my only Engine Mod is the K&N typhoon Intake I still have the Lunch box on the Car right now , so that's my next Goal DELETE the Lunch box !!!
I could of picked up my exhaust Last week But I decided I wanted a Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD Head Unit along with everything id need to get it installed. That upgrade happens as soon as the e-brake bypass gets here and it's on the way then ill get it installed.
like I said im just kicking around future upgrade ideas I don't think ill be doing the 2.3 Head anytime soon as I cant afford to have the Car down long enough to get it installed.
Im a auto mechanic so installing it myself wouldn't be the issue . Just Down time that's the only real issue. im really just looking to upgrade my 2.0 to make the car a little more Fun to drive. My Thoughts are The K&N typhoon intake ( installed now )
The Intake Manifold Mentioned in my original Post. a Performance Exhaust Header ,
and A Cat Back 2.5 Inch exhaust MABEY Stage 1 cams but beyond that I don't have any other Engine performance plans being the Car is a Automatic.
I also plan to upgrade my suspension but I already know what im going to do there , it's just a matter of Money im a Married man with 2 kids so Most of my money is already spoken for ..lol
it takes me time to get the cash stashed for my FUN
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
That manifold is of use mainly on a BUILT engine for high RPM gains as Felix mentioned, or as part of a custom Turbo setup.

$ for gains, look into Focus Power for tuning (Tom). there's a Vendor section on here you can check out.

More power/driveability improvement than other mods., and includes tuning the trans. for automatics (you can chose preferences).

Cheers

S.R. #275
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126730
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 2 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
The stock manifold is actually pretty decent for what it is and not bad as you would think on a 2.0 (only has 1 set of flaps). It is also pretty light, which is a plus. I would seek mods elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhatch View Post
The stock manifold is actually pretty decent for what it is and not bad as you would think on a 2.0 (only has 1 set of flaps). It is also pretty light, which is a plus. I would seek mods elsewhere.
This^^^^^^^^^^ + to add the 23 i/m also has two different lengths of runners= longer runners for low end torque & shorter runners for hi end, but then you'd a 23 head, which flows better then the 20. So to the OP, a 23 head w/ i/m is a great upgrade. A lot better then a cossie or similar i/m. Thats like putting a single plane manifold on a stock motor= its a loser all the way around. If anything add a set of mild cams & a tune. Get a header too, or at least a '05-'07 23 st exh. manifold. You should be able to knock out a 23 head install in a few hrs.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Phestezio Good Standing Member
I planned on doing a write up on what exactly needs to be done to that manifold for it to work properly, it does not come ready to bolt on by any means and actually needs a decent bit of work. I just haven't had time to take all the pictures and do a good write up on it yet. If you don't plan on doing a 2.3 or a turbo build or a big NA build I wouldn't put it on for the torque loss. Especially if the manifold is all your going to do it will hurt you more than help you.

Other than that it is a great manifold for the money if you plan on building up a engine, the $500 in savings compared to the cosi is well worth it, and if your pretty mechanically inclined then the work that needs to be done to it isn't that bad. This manifold has been tossed around in the forum for info about it for a long time but there really isn't much solid info as far as what needs to be done to it before install. I plan on changing that, maybe get the write up stickied to the How-to section for future reference
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Phestezio Good Standing Member
I just realized you had a 2010 so you are drive by wire, a few more holes would have to be plugged on that manifold to make it work properly, you might want to look at the Weapon-R intake manifold that is marketed for mazda 3's. They are drive by wire and that manifold is already set up for it, the only thing i'm not 100% on is if the throttle body bolts line up but it looks like they should.

You could also look at the Ford Ranger manifold, it is identical to the focus manifold minus the tumble flaps.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126730
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 2 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
This^^^^^^^^^^ + to add the 23 i/m also has two different lengths of runners= longer runners for low end torque & shorter runners for hi end, but then you'd a 23 head, which flows better then the 20. So to the OP, a 23 head w/ i/m is a great upgrade. A lot better then a cossie or similar i/m. Thats like putting a single plane manifold on a stock motor= its a loser all the way around. If anything add a set of mild cams & a tune. Get a header too, or at least a '05-'07 23 st exh. manifold. You should be able to knock out a 23 head install in a few hrs.
This might have to be on my list of mods to do in the future, I know the 2.0 head has a cfm of 255 and the 2.3 a cfm of like 293 or more (iirc); so that is definitely a huge jump in flow, especially in top end since I like to wind out the motor. Although both of those numbers are quite impressive imo.

Last edited by yellowhatch; 03-13-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
The knock off Cosi intake for the money and for what needs to be done to it is a super deal if your willing to spend 1-3 Hrs to do the clean up and maybe tapping some holes for plugs and bolts

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks