2.0 duratec build suggestions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2.0 duratec build suggestions

So I just picked up a 2.3 duratec with relatively low miles on it, and i'll be doing a 5 speed swap here in the next month or 2 as well. I wasn't planning on running into the 2.3 but now that i've got one my plans have changed a little bit. So now my plans are to take the 2.3 and the 5 speed and just bolt them together and swap them in as 1, that will give me a little more low end torque while i'm still NA and make it a little better on the autocross course, also both the engine and tranny would have like 140K less miles on it than what I currently have in the car.

So with that said I plan on yanking out my current 2.0 and auto tranny, and do away with the auto tranny of course. and build up the 2.0 as a more mild turbo build. I'd like to see 600+ HP but not on this first build. My overall goal is somewhere in the 300-400HP range with some low end torque and a quick reving turbo with little to no lag.

This is my initial plans for it, let me know what you guys think and if you think i'll get what i'm looking for out of this setup. Not listing any brand names just what I would want it to be, haven't actually decided what brands i'm going to go with yet.

2.0 duratec

Bottom End
H-beam Rods
9:1 compression pistons
ARP head studs

Top End
new valves and upgraded valve springs
turbo cams

GT28 turbo w/15-18psi
intercooler (not sure exactly what size yet)
GFB Deceptor Pro BOV
38mm wastegaste (not sure exactly what psi will be set yet)
2.5" exhaust w/ cherrybomb glasspack (so basically straight pipe)

40+lbs/hr fuel injectors
Knockoff cosi intake manifold or aluminum ranger manifold

along with a few other little things I already have bolted on, stuff that won't affect HP by more than 2-5

Let me know what you guys think, if I can achieve what i'm looking for with that or if its too much or too little

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
koke'sfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69779
What I Drive: 05 silver st

FF Reputation: 1 koke'sfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
So you are gonna build the 2.0? Why not build the 2.3? I have my stock long block making 350 to the wheels but with a large turbo that Is a little laggi but I want to build it to be more confident (scared my engine blows lol) and about the cams iirc the stock cams are the best suited cams for turbo duratecs, good luck with the build :)
team duratec #94
D23 crew #9.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by koke'sfocus View Post
So you are gonna build the 2.0? Why not build the 2.3? I have my stock long block making 350 to the wheels but with a large turbo that Is a little laggi but I want to build it to be more confident (scared my engine blows lol) and about the cams iirc the stock cams are the best suited cams for turbo duratecs, good luck with the build :)
This^^^^^^^^ Start out w/ a 23.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Oh I still plan on building the 2.3 as well but i'm going to build that one up much more than the 2.0 so i'd like to get a small turbo for the 2.0 to ride in the meantime while I get everything I want for the 2.3 build.

After thinking about it i'll probably just get a full rebuild kit for it and put some H-beam rods in it and stick with stock 10:1 compression, probably put all ARP hardware in it with a GT28 turbo around 15psi or so and call it a day. Still putting the intercooler and other turbo stuff on since i'll be able to use alot of it later with the 2.3 and i'll be turbo from that point on.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I see you have a 240sx= I'd LS that. Hooker makes a kit for that car.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

haha yeah, I just picked it up maybe 3 months ago for $300 so its still a work in progress right now but I actually just saw a 240sx at autocross this past weekend that had an LS swap, it was awesome haha but its going to be a drift car so I'm gonna keep it as cheap as possible and kinda keep it in the same manufacturer so I sold the scrappy looking KA24E that was in it and i'm rebuilding a KA24DE for it now and converting to coil on plug ignition and gonna run a T3/T4 turbo and i'm building a megasquirt ECU to run it. You can make upwards of 500HP on the stock KA but I plan on running about 15psi and it should put me at about 370-380HP and 350-360ft/lbs on that car.

Thats actually my main priority at the moment since the next project for the focus is a 5-speed swap, 2.3 swap, 5 lug mazda conversion and mazda rear disc brake conversion all at the same time, mainly because of unknown's about the spline's and lengths of the mazda cv axles and what its going to take to get cv axles with the 25 inboard splines for the MTX-75 but the 36 (I believe) outboard splines for the mazda hubs. Also it just makes more sense to do the engine swap, tranny swap, and lug conversions all at the same time so you're not taking it apart a million times. I already have the 2.3 and i'll be getting the MTX-75 probably next week or the week after but I still am trying to track down a 05-07 mazda 3 to pull the rear calipers and trailing arms off of.

But the 240 is my main priority right now so I can have something to drive back and forth to work when I put the focus down in a couple months to have all that done to it. I figured after I do that i'll have the 2.0 out so I can rebuild it and run a small turbo and put it back in, then i'll have the 2.3 out again so I can actually build it up alot more and i'll have a little more fun in the 2.0 with the turbo while I build up the 2.3.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Ebird
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100512
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Ebird Good Standing Member
I'm pretty new at anything dealing with swaps, so do you mind if I ask what you think you're going to spend on this swap? I'm thinking about either a 2.0 to 2.0 or 2.0 to 2.3 swap with an auto to manual as well and I just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Not sure where to look, so if you have suggestions of another thread I should check out, please let me know.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
There's an Engine/Transmission Swap section to look at, and at least one zetec to duratec project in the Showroom section to look at.

How big a change determines the complexity, and a donor car to get everything needed from is the easiest for the larger projects.

Replacement is relatively simple, differences can result in more complexity than you expect.

S.R. #275
Old 03-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

As far as money goes swapping to the 2.3 is much more expensive, most junkyards want around 800 or more for a used 2.3. A 2.0 could be found all day for around 300-400. So as far as engine swaps unless you run across a 2.3 for a good deal like I did your going to spend close to 1k on the engine to go to the 2.3. doing the engine swap shouldnt be difficult since you already have it set up for the duratec, it should be a quick swap.

As far as the auto to manual tranny swap, you need an MTX-75 for a duratec. You can use the internals of ANY MTX-75 but the one you bolt to the engine has to be for a duratec. Most junkyards want around 400 or so for a used MTX-75. You will also need the manual pedal assembly, shifter and shifter linkages. You need to make sure the linkages come out of YOUR YEAR car if you don't want any extra problems. As well as a slave cylinder and all the lines and any other little pieces. Some sensors need to be changed as well.

And of course any of this will need to be tuned, you shouldn't have to change ECU's or wiring harnesses or any of that.

If I was JUST doing a swap and not building up the engine and everything as well, and if I didn't find such a great deal on most of the parts, I would probably spend about $1200 for the 2.3 swap and another probably $1000 on the manual swap. Granted I do everything myself so that is saving thousands of dollars in labor costs. Its not cheap if your not going to do it yourself.

I'm probably going to spend close to $5000 building up the 2.3 not including any of the turbo parts, The manual swap is probably only going to cost me around $400 since I found a great deal on a tranny, but I also am doing a 5 lug mazda conversion at the same time because i'll have to switch CV axles to work with the mazda hubs and that conversion is probably going to cost me around $500-$700 not including new wheels.

You gotta pay to play haha
Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Ebird
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100512
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Ebird Good Standing Member
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the input. Good luck on your build!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->