First HPDE Event! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #21
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

Points 24,017, Level 94
Points: 24,017, Level: 94 Points: 24,017, Level: 94 Points: 24,017, Level: 94
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
WeeAsp should change his handle to "WiseAsp" (er, uh, that does not sound as good as I was hoping... LOL)

Anyway, he is correct about easing into racing. While I made the "mistake" about carving up a perfectly good car to become a dedicated racer, I did ease in over a 2 1/2 year period. I think I put about 1600 miles on track in my first 2 years just doing HPDE and Time Trials with my daily driver. For the second year, I did install a bolt in autopower 4 pt roll bar for the safety of having a 5 pt harness, and proper roll over protection.

In year 1 had one "close call" spinning off the infield on the pocono east course, I busted up some cosmetic stuff, and fog lamp. I had to pull out the lower radiator support, but I did not drop any fluids, and I drove her home. (I repaired a small crack in the bumper cover, ans replaced about $200 of fog lamp and trim pieces etc.

In year 2 I was not so lucky on the day I launched #4 rod out the bottom of the block. That required a tow home (free from a fellow competitor) and a used motor and some replacement parts etc. Doing all the work on my driveway with a borrowed cherry picker cost me about $1250 total.

Just last weekend when I was at the glen, I saw someone loose it a few feet behind me going down into the boot. I just saw a blur of color bouncing off the armco in my mirrors. When we got back to the paddock, his car was toast. The front was hit pretty hard. It needed typical sheetmetal work and a new radiator, but the hit to the rear suspension tore out part of his unibody where the lateral arm attaches. He was on track for exactly 3 laps that day. (the day before I got a little out of shape on that same turn myself but reeled her in before it got ugly.)

IT does get expensive, and it is hard to unload a race cars and used parts if/when it comes time to call it quits for whatever reason. But it seems I'm hooked, and my retirement plans now include aquiring a taste for dog food.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50146
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Co0p3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well guys, I am in no way to want to jump right into racing what so ever, i do know its a hobby and I dont want to go broke doing it, but I want a second cheap car that can be driven in the winter and drove at the track. My SVT Has new wheels, and has just been completely painted, it kills me driving it down a back road lol :)! That being said, I feel so horrid and out of place driving this CRX around town and to work. I should of went with my gut and got another cheap SVT. But i was stupid and jumped on a deal, I want something that resembles my personal car and is very controllable on the track like my SVT was, this stupid CRX has a mind of its own, and if i take it to the track i think it will just hurt my chances of ever getting better. WeeASP I messaged you about your focus. Please get back with me or call me man.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #23
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Just last weekend when I was at the glen, I saw someone loose it a few feet behind me going down into the boot. I just saw a blur of color bouncing off the armco in my mirrors. When we got back to the paddock, his car was toast. The front was hit pretty hard. It needed typical sheetmetal work and a new radiator, but the hit to the rear suspension tore out part of his unibody where the lateral arm attaches. He was on track for exactly 3 laps that day. (the day before I got a little out of shape on that same turn myself but reeled her in before it got ugly.)
That's another thing to add insult to injury. Many tracks, including Watkins Glen, at HPDE events hold the participants responsible for damage done to the track infrastructure during an incident.

So, picture this. You are flying down into the boot when the left rear tire blows. You snap sideways, leave the track and introduce yourself to the ARMCO. From there, you come across the track, skip across the grass and come to a rest. Without question, it is a BIG hit. Front end squished, front clip torn off and the sheet metal is creased on the driver's side from fender to bumper. The car is a total loss.

But there's more...you take out a total of 15 feet of barrier.

Let's review the butcher's bill:

Cost of the car - $5000
Tow bill home - $600
Cost of track dry - $300
Cost of ARMCO Replacement - $1500 ($100 per foot the last time I asked)

Total - $7400 give or take

That's an expensive weekend. I use this example for myself and with students whenever I hear or say "It'll never happen to me".

I replied to the PM Cooper...

Sincerely, One "WiseAsp"

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #24
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50146
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Co0p3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Let me know about the car wise :) lol. And i know, its a costly hobby, that is why I have a good job and im keeping my feet clean. :) dont discourage me.. lol
Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #25
Kfokus
Focus autox'r

Fan#: 40398
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 41 Kfokus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co0p3r View Post
Yes i did, one of the best experiences ever! I did have one of the slowest cars on the track by horsepower 170hp. But that did not matter one bit, I hung with everyone through the turns and even passed about everyone at least once after riding their license plate through all the turns. I love my SVT and it truly is a great track car, the back stretch started me at 95 mph before braking, by sunday night, i was hitting 115mph before braking, the car ran great all weekend and I cant wait to do it again, I ad a awesome instructor that drilled into my head that smooth is fast, I kept with it and got much faster, dusted the following cars through the turns: Miata, RX-8, Stock 350Z, Prelude, Civic, 2.5 RS, 944. The other cars in my class i couldnt touch, but hung with them in corners, evo, vette, sti... LOL :)
Good showing man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co0p3r View Post
Well, i didnt want to tear up my SVT, so Im currently looking for a built CRX, another one of my favorite cars, to use as a dedicated track car, and I will be attending as many HPDE events as I can, Im hooked beyond belief.
Yea I KNOW that'll happen to me, when I pop my HPDE track event cherry.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #26
tb1999
Focus Addict

Points 24,017, Level 94
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
That's another thing to add insult to injury. Many tracks, including Watkins Glen, at HPDE events hold the participants responsible for damage done to the track infrastructure during an incident.
I've heard that Monticello Motor Club charges to replace the "sod" if you go off track and tear up the landscaping, so anything other than a "perfect day" there will incur extra fees.......

In contrast, if you disturb anything at summit point they would probably just thank you for rerranging the scenery provided the timing and scoring system is still functional.

They are soooo laid back in WV, I really like Summit Point

I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #27
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1999 View Post
I've heard that Monticello Motor Club charges to replace the "sod" if you go off track and tear up the landscaping, so anything other than a "perfect day" there will incur extra fees.......
I only ran there once, but don't recall any mention of such a provision...and the place has such garbage for grass that you'd never notice if you went off. The ONLY thing that's completed at that so-called 5-star track club is, well, the track (WITHOUT proper gravel traps and/or paved runoff where it's really needed), the security "toll booths" and the almost ridiculous, huge custom shiny metal (or metal look) entry gate, fashioned after the logo for the place. There's not a single permanent building on the property, and even the simple pit wall (no garages etc etc) was some of the crappiest concrete work I have seen.

All that's just so you can be sure to ignore all the flashy promo video hype the place puts out. The 4 mile TRACK, as long as you stay on the pavement and don't kiss any of the miles and miles of Armco (much of which is not protected by tires!) is a wonderful challenge. I loved every lap...so many types of corners, many tough combinations that really test your "forward thinking". My vote: A must drive.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #28
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1999 View Post

In contrast, if you disturb anything at summit point they would probably just thank you for rerranging the scenery provided the timing and scoring system is still functional.

They are soooo laid back in WV, I really like Summit Point
Summit Point views that kind of activity as "adding character to the racing environment."

That quote is non-attribution.

However, it speaks volumes about Summit Point's attitude towards their customers....

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #29
tb1999
Focus Addict

Points 24,017, Level 94
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex214 View Post
I only ran there once, but don't recall any mention of such a provision...and the place has such garbage for grass that you'd never notice if you went off. The ONLY thing that's completed at that so-called 5-star track club is, well, the track (WITHOUT proper gravel traps and/or paved runoff where it's really needed), the security "toll booths" and the almost ridiculous, huge custom shiny metal (or metal look) entry gate, fashioned after the logo for the place. There's not a single permanent building on the property, and even the simple pit wall (no garages etc etc) was some of the crappiest concrete work I have seen.

All that's just so you can be sure to ignore all the flashy promo video hype the place puts out. The 4 mile TRACK, as long as you stay on the pavement and don't kiss any of the miles and miles of Armco (much of which is not protected by tires!) is a wonderful challenge. I loved every lap...so many types of corners, many tough combinations that really test your "forward thinking". My vote: A must drive.
That's interesting, I need to search youtube for some videos......

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.