First HPDE Event! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50146
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Co0p3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well, i didnt want to tear up my SVT, so Im currently looking for a built CRX, another one of my favorite cars, to use as a dedicated track car, and I will be attending as many HPDE events as I can, Im hooked beyond belief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co0p3r View Post
Well, i didnt want to tear up my SVT, so Im currently looking for a built CRX, another one of my favorite cars, to use as a dedicated track car, and I will be attending as many HPDE events as I can, Im hooked beyond belief.
Smart choice not to trash a perfectly good SVT. Some of the SVT purists around here would want your head on a plate for doing something like that. LOL

A friend of mine is selling his 1980 RX7, for $3500. It's an older car but very well sorted out. I drove it in March for my race school/license test, it was lots of fun. The last time we went racing he almost had a first place finish in IT7, and actually lead for 2 laps. If I was not such a gearhead and determined to build my own car, I would have bought it for myself. We did a dyno session and it was hitting around 120 to the wheels and the car weighs around 2250 lbs.

CRX is a great car too. You always see them for sale, race ready between $4500 and $9000 depending on year and quality of the car.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hell I could have had a CRX for a first car (would have been a good "extra" car lol. hey maybe I can still get one when the fo's down )

awesome sounds like you had a great time.... I gotta watch that video then
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
why not just pick up a used zx3??? make it into a spec racer?

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

because, spec is very far away from my time now, i have atleast a couple years, so when tha time comes I will have a brand new focus and use my svt as a spec car. :) make sense?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Ah, the hook is set and you are being reeled in on the go fast crack pipe.

Spend your money going to events to learn how to drive better and not on another car dedicated for track use. It is a slippery slope and not something to contemplate after only one event.
The SVT really doesn't need anything to be entertaining on track. I've been in the passenger seat of probably fifteen to twenty of them while instructing and no one could drive the car anywhere near it's potential after one event or two or three. Some unfortunately never.
Most people only run a handfull of events a year so there isn't much abuse to the car except for the brakes and tires. Brakes mainly because novices tend to over use them.
If you have a passport, Track Guys will be at Mosport next Monday and Tuesday. I will be there with my 04 PWSC five door after running an event at Calabogie on Sunday.
trackguys.motorsportreg.com
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Getting a crx was a idea that would have a double edge behind it, I did indeed want a crx to tear up on the course, not worry about it getting hurt, hit, etc. And something I could drive in the winter and not hurt my SVT in the harsh Ohio winters. As some of you know, I just got my SVT completely painted Pitch Black again, And hate to drive down a gravel road, yet 120mph down a course. I loved the SVT on the track, and did not feel I had the even 70% of its potential. But I want to learn on something I can afford to break if the matter happens, and drive during the winters. Does anyone see where Im going?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
yup, so just get another SVT!!! lol

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

they are too nice to abuse and gut out for a race car lol i get cheap honda
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
they are too nice to abuse and gut out for a race car lol i get cheap honda
I have one ready to go...

My little SVT has almost as many track miles as street miles on it.

Hands down, BEST track car I've ever owned.

Is it the fastest? No. Is it respectable? Yes. Will it keep up with a lot of much more expensive cars? You betcha.

Is the car modified? Nope....

The only thing I do to the car is change fluids, put gas in it and change the brakes. Oh, and some REALLY sticky tires.

I agree with Shelby and Tbb on this one. Invest in seat time before you buy a dedicated track car. It is singularly the best investment you can make.

- Driving a street car to the absolute limit on track is a challenge. The measure of this is not the number of cars you pass, but lap times. Lower your lap times and you improve - getting closer to that limit. When your lap times for the session get to tenths or hundreths of seconds (optimum conditions) within each other, you have either found your limit or the car's. Find that and you will see a lot more cars in your mirror.

- Expense. A wise man once asked me "Would you like to have a small fortune?" I said "Of course!" He responded "Start with a large fortune and go racing". You have no idea how incredibly expensive this hobby is/can be. Parts, entrance fees, fuel, fluid, safety gear, food, hotels and time. All of those things are paid before you even put rubber on the track. Take what you paid for your HPDE event and triple it (at a minimum) for one race weekend. Because now with a dedicated race/track car you will have to tow it - which means buying another vehicle. You change fluid and brakes after every event, sometimes after track session, licensing fees, and the list goes on.

- Race/track cars fall into two categories:

a) REALLY easy to drive fast because they are purpose built. You will wonder why you EVER drove your street car on the track
b) REALLY GHASTLY to drive on the track. Twitchy at all times that has none of the forgiveness that a street car has - that means you get in trouble a LOT faster. Tempermental thoroughbred that is prone to mechanical failure for the simpliest of things - all of which are ridiculously expensive to fix an NO ONE ever has the part you need. Oh, and remember all that money you spent getting ready? The entrance fees, the prep work and time? *poof* all gone and non-refundable.

- Your car. If you are REALLY serious about going racing, USE YOUR street car at HPDE events for at least one year. That will give you a taste of what your pockets will have to endure.

I am not trying to discourage you. Rather, the opposite, but with a strong dose of reality. EASE into this hobby. There may come a time in your life where you have to walk away from it for a while (family, work, tired of working on cars at 3:00 a.m. before a race). When that happens, and it will, you are now stuck with a huge investment that has no monetary value. You will invest 10X more than you will ever recover if you sell off all your gear. Walking away is much easier if all you have to worry about are a few extra spares and some track wheels.

Finally, and here we agree, to really commit yourself to this hobby, you MUST emotionally disconect yourself from the car you drive - street car or race/track car. At the end of the day, it is a tool that might break or get broken. You HAVE to be willing to accept that it is not IF you go off track, but WHEN you go off track. If you are lucky, you are spending the rest of the day pulling grass out of the calipers. If you are not so lucky, you throw the car away. that is much easier to do if you have another vehicle to get you home and to work on Monday.

You have to be comfortable with that...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->