My in-car wiring diagram for datalogging/tuning - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg65 View Post
are you running livelink on 64bit windows vista? I thought their were compatibility issues with the software. I couldnt get the new version to install on my laptop
I do my tuning on my laptop (Macbook with Intel processor). I'm running 32-bt Windows XP as a Virtual Machine using Parallels. Livelink and Advantage both work perfect, and the SCT licensing dongle is also recognized just fine. Neither program require a fast computer, so they run quick enough. The only drawback is that the Macbook gets warmer and uses more battery while running a VM. I'm planning to dual-boot OSX & Windows so I can run Windows natively, giving me more battery life for tuning. I'll leave the VM setup on OSX, too, so I don't HAVE to reboot to get at Windows if I am already in OSX.

I think the only confusion is that screenshot on the laptop shows 64-bit Windows 7. I have Advantage installed on both my Macbook and my desktop (the computer I use 90% of the time, 64-bit Windows 7, 3.2ghz AMD 64 X2, 8gb memory). I only have Livelink installed on my Macbook. I was just slapping that illustration together all willy-nilly on my desktop , so I pulled up Advantage and did a screenshot to photoshop onto the Macbook screen.

I suppose I should re-do that with a LiveLink screenshot since Advantage isn't supposed to be shown online like that, but I figured its sufficiently small and blurry to be irrelevant. SCT has clearer screenshots on their own website, anyway.

Last edited by mellephants; 08-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
iceberg65
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64382
What I Drive: 00 laser red cougar

FF Reputation: 2 iceberg65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thanks. I was mostly hoping that their was an easy way to run livelink on my laptop running 64bit vista without having to set up a different operation system.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

gotcha, Sorry I haven't tried that yet. It would be useful to have livelink on my desktop (1920x1200 is way moar bettar than 1280x800), so maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. Chances are you might have to run it in a virtual machine. (There are free VMs for download online).
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

little side note incase anyone is using this as a guide of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaysE View Post
Simply going off my experience in pro-audio, splitting the knock sensor signal without amplifying it first is going to reduce the voltage going to the J&S, a potentially dangerous situation. This is entirely dependent on the headunit's internal wiring, as it might not be an issue when you're not listening to it through the speakers, but it also could be a problem. It will definitely reduce voltage to the J&S when you're listening through the speakers, though.

This works for illinipo because he's not tuning with the sensor and he's not using a J&S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
Yes that is possible. It will be disconnectable, so I'll measure with and without it before leaving it hooked up while driving. I am expecting to adjust the J&S sensitivity to compensate.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

I hooked up the XCAL2 & both analog inputs tonight and both worked perfectly. I have a datalog showing J&S Safeguard knock detection activity. Don't worry, I turned the sensitivity up to get some false positives for testing purposes.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

All I need now is a female 3.5mm jack & a capacitor for the KS audio monitor.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Update: this all worked exactly as planned. Yay!

The one change I've made since this post is that I sold my J&S Safeguard and the gauge because I could hear knock before the J&S could pick it up.

A J&S is definitely still nice to have for datalogging... if it picks up any knock you can review the datalog to see exactly when and where it happened. It is also nice insurance against bad gas, etc.

I still decided that I'd rather have the money for other things, so I sold it off. I just do a few pulls while listening to my KS after filling the tank, especially if its at an unfamiliar gas station.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
I hooked up the XCAL2 & both analog inputs tonight and both worked perfectly. I have a datalog showing J&S Safeguard knock detection activity. Don't worry, I turned the sensitivity up to get some false positives for testing purposes.
PLEASE keep in mind you are ONLY turning up the J&S sensivity which on full J&S sensivity you are at stock ECU sensivity , I have been talking about changing the ECU sensivity with in the tune under knock sensor there is a sensivity setting for each load/rpm/cyl in my SCT Tuning software , the PRP and most shop SCT Tuning software does not show these or have the ability to make changes to them

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing MemberBlivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Knock sensor gain adjustment on the SVT is different from the regular zetec. SVT knock gain adjustment is by rpm only which is very odd. I know there are tables there but they do not do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
PLEASE keep in mind you are ONLY turning up the J&S sensivity which on full J&S sensivity you are at stock ECU sensivity , I have been talking about changing the ECU sensivity with in the tune under knock sensor there is a sensivity setting for each load/rpm/cyl in my SCT Tuning software , the PRP and most shop SCT Tuning software does not show these or have the ability to make changes to them

Tom
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
The gain for SVT and STD Zetec they both show load vs rpm on the gain so im curious what you mean by RPM only ? and what you mean by there there but they dont do anything ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks