Exhaust Leak Up Front - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
wgb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1939
Points 910, Level 16
Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust Leak Up Front

Hi folks:

We noticed some abnormal exhaust sounds coming from the front of my wife's 2001 Focus SE. Over a week's time it got to the point of being really noticable and there seemed to be an attendant loss of power.

I thought it might be a blown manifold gasket, although I'm certainly no mechanic. My wife took it into a muffler shop and they said it was cracked exhaust manifold.

I called my Ford dealership to price this repair and the service advisor said he doubted it was a cracked manifold, and that I should bring it there for diagnoses. I got the impression he suspected something errrr.... "more common".

I called another shop that had done good work for me in the past, and they too said right away that they doubted the exhaust manifold was cracked. He said they have seen several Foci come in with a leak around the manifold from some kind of "heat tube" that comes off the manifold. The service advisor said he was willing to bet this was the problem. He told me to bring it in tomorrow for diagnoses. Does anyone know what part specifically this guy is talking about? I want to price out this part and repair before I take it in.

If it is in fact a cracked exhaust manifold my extended warranty covers it. Ford said this repair would be $650 CAD ! I don't think i'm covered for any part coming off the manifold unless this is covered by some kind of secret warranty by Ford.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
the focus doesn't use your typical cast exhaust manifold. it uses a crude tubular header-style manifold. these are very unlikely to crack.

the only tube i can think of is the EGR tube that goes into the catalytic converter. it may have have bent, cracked, or simply come loose.

Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
craigjturner

Fan#: 2969
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 craigjturner Good Standing Member
it's the EGR tube. (exhaust gas resurculation) I have the same problem i had to use thread lock to keeo it tight.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
craigjturner

Fan#: 2969
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 craigjturner Good Standing Member
the EGR tube comes off the manifold, not the cat
Old 07-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
^^^ doesn't come off the exhaust manifold. it comes off the cat assembly. might not come directly off the cat itself, but the EGR tube is downstream of the header/cat flange. i'm sure of that.

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
wgb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1939
Points 910, Level 16
Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wgb Good Standing Member
Thanks a lot folks. Great help. I'm going to take it in tomorrow and I'll let you all know what the final verdict/damage is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks