NY state inspection laws - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > North East Fanatics

North East Fanatics Serving the Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New England, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
MidnightZX3focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9457
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 MidnightZX3focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
NY state inspection laws

Hey what's up everyone. I'm moving to NY in august and I am wondering about inspection laws. I'm in Massachusetts now and we have some $hitty laws here....I want to make sure that I don't have to worry about mods. I have a marcy intake now...I am ordering the FS exhaust which I know removes the 2nd cat.....will this be an issue when I register my car in NY and get a new inspection sticker? I would really appreciate some info....let me know what I can do to my car as far as mods go...thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
QuikHAtCH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2694
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3, '94 h22 Civic Hatch, '02 Suzuki GSX-R 750

FF Reputation: 1 QuikHAtCH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Im in NY, inspections here aren't too strick. Shouldn't really matter what mods you get 'cuz someone on here said the 2.3 would pass emissions inpesction with no cat at all...how true that is I don't know.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
2fast4u
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2375
What I Drive: ZX-3 gone, now 05 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 2fast4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
not true,,,new york is a green state,,,,too pass emissions you need a cat or pay someone to get you the sticker,,,mods you can do,,just dont gte stopped by a cop,,,because if you cant prove your headers and whatever else isnt carb legal, you will get a fat summons,,,,,basically it sucks here too like mass. just be careful not to get caught,,,im modding too, but conservatively and lsowly,,,so,,,,good luck
quikhatch: 2.3 will pass without a cat and plus once u put headers i heard you get cel
Old 07-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
djtwig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 896
What I Drive: 2006 focus street edition

FF Reputation: 1 djtwig Good Standing Member
THIS IS TRUE YOU DO NEED A CAT UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE ON THE SIDE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK OF INSPECTING IT, OTHER THAN THAT THEY ARE NOT TO STRICT. WHAT PART OF NEW YORK ARE YOU MOVING TO????
Old 07-18-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
SVTMIKE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6109
FF Reputation: 1 SVTMIKE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect

Emissions Inspection for Gas-powered Vehicles
Read the FAQs for inspection stations about the new New York State Vehicle Inspection Program (NYVIP) and the OBDII test of vehicle emissions control systems.

Read the FAQs below to learn about the current emissions inspection program.

New York City Metropolitan Area Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program

In January 1998, the emissions inspection and maintenance program used in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA) was improved to meet new federal standards. The NYCMA includes the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County and Westchester County. All gas-powered vehicles registered in the NYCMA require a high-enhanced emissions inspection. Inspection facilities outside the NYCMA cannot do this inspection. Some vehicles are exempt from this requirement.

About the Test

The high-enhanced emissions inspection tests the air pollution control system and exhaust emissions of a vehicle. All vehicles receive a gas cap check and a visual inspection to find evidence of tampering and to prevent malfunctions in the air pollution control devices. The test is done annually at the same time as the safety inspection. The fee for the emissions inspection test is $27, plus $10 for the safety inspection.

The model year, weight and vehicle type determine the test methods and standards used, as follows:

1981 and newer models that weigh 8,500 lbs. and under go through a dynamometer test for exhaust emissions that exceed the acceptable limit. 1996 and newer models also go through a check of the on-board diagnostic computer.
Vehicles before model year 1981 that weigh more than 8,500 pounds or have full-time traction control or all-wheel drive equipment receive the idle speed tail pipe test only.
Vehicles Exempt from the Test

These vehicles are exempt from the gas-powered vehicle emissions inspection:

Vehicles less than two model years old, or more than 25 model years (for example, a 1975 model in 2001)
Diesel-powered vehicles
Electric vehicles
Motorcycles
Vehicles registered as farm equipment or with historical plates
Annual safety inspections are required for all vehicles unless exempt by the law. To learn more about safety inspections, read the DMV brochure, New York State Vehicle Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks.

If an Inspection Expires while the Vehicle is Outside the NYCMA

If the inspection for a NYCMA registered vehicle expires while the vehicle is located outside the NYCMA, the vehicle operator can get a temporary waiver. Request form VS1078 (Temporary Certificate of Emissions Waiver) from any DMV office and take the form to a DMV-licensed inspection station. The inspection station will do a low-enhanced emissions inspection, which is valid outside the NYCMA. The operator must get a high-enhanced emissions inspection and a safety inspection no more than 10 days after the vehicle returns to the NYCMA.

If a Vehicle Fails Inspection

A vehicle must pass the emissions inspection test to receive an inspection sticker. The failure of the vehicle to pass the test can prevent the registration of the vehicle. You must have the vehicle repaired to meet the standards and pass a reinspection. If the vehicle does not pass a reinspection after major repairs are made, the DMV can issue a one-year waiver. To qualify for a waiver, the cost of the repairs cannot be less than $450. The maximum amount of the repair cost that qualifies for a waiver is adjusted annually with the Consumer Price Index.

If your vehicle failed the emissions inspection within the year before the date of the registration renewal, you cannot renew the vehicle registration. Inspection stations electronically send a record of all emissions inspections to the DMV. The DMV must have a record that your vehicle passed an emissions inspection during the previous year. Keep the receipt of your emissions inspection sticker to prove that the vehicle was inspected.

Where to get an Emissions Inspection in the New York City Metropolitan Area

Inspection stations that conduct emissions inspections in the NYCMA are licensed by DMV and must use approved and certified equipment. DMV has prepared a list of certified emissions inspection stations, sorted by county. The list is updated when more inspection stations become certified.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #6
hkysk8r07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5957
What I Drive: 00 I-R ZX3/ 07 Reflex Silver GTI

FF Reputation: 1 hkysk8r07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
that sucks cus if you're in CT we dont even have emissions because the whole system was screwed up. it was letting clean cars get hit for having bad emissions and the other way around too.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
MidnightZX3focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9457
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 MidnightZX3focus Good Standing Member
im either moving to the westchester area or the very south western corner of CT.....perhaps ill see you at a g2g sometime.

peace

Bookmarks & Social Networks