Rat rod planning stage - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #41
LongDucDong
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 59052
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF 3 door

FF Reputation: 10 LongDucDong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Zetechse View Post
a newer car ratted out is a modern rat and you are talking about a traditional hot rods

i look at it as if you dare to be different dont let anyone or anything hold you back . if u like the final product be proud ifnnot you know better next time around
If there is anyone that understands, it would be me. As I stated earlier, its cool to want to be original, but some of the stuff Ive seen people try to make into a "rat rod" is no worse than ricers, IMO. Kinda like taking a Cobalt, putting genuine wood and wool in it, and calling it a luxury car. Sure the basic ingredients are there, but the base is just completely, utterly wrong. A flat-black, pinstriped, chopped, louvered, Mexican blanketed Hyundai is not a rat rod, but simply a custom import. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i agree with that thats why i am going open fender with a v-8 engine because it has to have a big motor to be cool :D
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #43
LongDucDong
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
i agree with that thats why i am going open fender with a v-8 engine because it has to have a big motor to be cool :D
A V8 is cool, indeed. But open fenders and a V8 or not, wont make it a "rat rod". In the end it will be a modern, custom Ford Focus, which just gets back to my original point that the term "rat rod" and "hot rod" gets thrown around incorrectly these days. I think your project is very original, and I wish you luck on it, but if youre going to build a "rat rod", use the right ingredients.

And youll see a TON of rodders using the car's original engines (modified), too. A hot rod doesnt need a V8 to be a rod. Youll see TONS of straight 6 engines in many hot rods, even turbo diesels from time to time.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #44
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yeah i realize it will never be a "ratrod" technically but i am theming my custom focus like one using painted steelie rims no interior and a few other things
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
LongDucDong
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
yeah i realize it will never be a "ratrod" technically but i am theming my custom focus like one using painted steelie rims no interior and a few other things
What engine you gonna run? I think a 351W would be killer. Even better: 427.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #46
karguy427
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDucDong View Post
I think thats going a little far. Sure some guys will use a PBR bottle for a reservoir, etc, but the whole rat rod scene has attracted some newbies to the scene who think theyll be "cool" by finding garbage (literally) and installing it on their cars. Going to a junkyard is cool and dandy, but picking up used beer cans on the side of the road and putting them on a "rat rod" is . Being into rods for many years now, Ive seen the scene go from incredible machines like Cleen Rock One's '29 Ford and Voodoo Larry's "Voodoo Diablo", to some questionable rides by newbies who think putting junk on their car qualifies them as a "rat rod". Ive seen ratted out Hondas, Hyundais and Jeep Wranglers and its getting stupid. Sorry, hot rods died in the 60s, but the scene carries on PROPERLY by those who build their rods to be period-correct.
You're taking the idea of a 'hot rod' and putting into a museum. A true hot rod belongs on the street, and it's whatever the builder wants it to be. I agree that using old beer cans for velocity stacks is a bit stupid. What 02Zetechse is planning however, is no different from what hot rodders did in the early 50's - taking what they had (a body and a motor) and BUILDING A UNIQUE CAR.

Props to him.........
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #47
LongDucDong
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy427 View Post
You're taking the idea of a 'hot rod' and putting into a museum
Why would you think that? I never stated that nor implied that I believe that rods should be in a museum or of museum quality. Im a FIRM believer that cars should be driven! Trailer queens suck!!!! Those that use fiberglass 32 shells with billet this and billet that are not what Im talking about. If youre gonna build a traditional rod (rat or not), it needs to be driven. I happen to love "rat rods" and frequent many shows and have chit-chatted with many old timer greasers in these clubs (ie Chrome Czars, Voodoo Kings, Bare Bones, Suicide Axles, etc, etc). Ive seen true rods and billet banker wankers, and I wont even give the billet rods a glance, theyre stupid, IMO.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #48
02ztsian
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14466
What I Drive: V6Mistake, 03 ZX3

Points 2,896, Level 32
Points: 2,896, Level: 32 Points: 2,896, Level: 32 Points: 2,896, Level: 32
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 8 02ztsian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
The beer cans may be a bit over the top but the idea is to use your brain and what you have rather than your checkbook. We would much rather be driving our cars than rubbing on them.
Same applies to stupid.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #49
LongDucDong
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ztsian View Post
The beer cans may be a bit over the top but the idea is to use your brain and what you have rather than your checkbook. We would much rather be driving our cars than rubbing on them.
Once again, why assume that I meant a traditional rod was to be a museum-quality piece?

My point is, a modified Civic, Focus, Tiburon, etc, is just a modded import, not a "rat rod", no matter how rat you make it.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #50
karguy427
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDucDong View Post
Why would you think that? I never stated that nor implied that I believe that rods should be in a museum or of museum quality. Im a FIRM believer that cars should be driven! Trailer queens suck!!!! Those that use fiberglass 32 shells with billet this and billet that are not what Im talking about. If youre gonna build a traditional rod (rat or not), it needs to be driven. I happen to love "rat rods" and frequent many shows and have chit-chatted with many old timer greasers in these clubs (ie Chrome Czars, Voodoo Kings, Bare Bones, Suicide Axles, etc, etc). Ive seen true rods and billet banker wankers, and I wont even give the billet rods a glance, theyre stupid, IMO.
Ok, then. With your prior comment you seemed to be stating that a built vehicle should fall into a specific category ("Rat Rod" - personally, I hate that term - been over used and misused). I don't think Zetecse cares what category it falls into - he's just making something that HE likes.....

Personally, I think it's a novel idea. Kind of reminds me of the old 'jalopy' racers at Accot Speedway in Gardena, California in the 50's......
--- Yeah, I'm old.

Bookmarks & Social Networks