New Ford Focus non locking fuel flap. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Mark Fraser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66538
What I Drive: 2008 blue focus style 1.6 tdci

FF Reputation: 1 Mark Fraser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Ford Focus non locking fuel flap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

I wonder if any of you who have the latest model ford focus,have found the lack of security on the new style non capless fuel system worrying.the fuel flap on the vehicles is open at all times,which means the flap can be opened at any time and liquids poured in,the liquids can seep in through the cap entrance even when fuel nozzle is not inserted,also the flap can be broken off at any time.I have voiced my opinion with ford uk but they do not seem interested ?.I have also emailed Top Gear as I think this is a bad lack of security on the fueling system.

cheers guys

Mark Fraser.
Gillingham uk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
zantar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33471
What I Drive: Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zantar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Futher to that I find the lack of tinfoil hats as an available option to be a problem as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Peter01950
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77199
What I Drive: 2009 Silver Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Peter01950 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fraser View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

I wonder if any of you who have the latest model ford focus,have found the lack of security on the new style non capless fuel system worrying.the fuel flap on the vehicles is open at all times,which means the flap can be opened at any time and liquids poured in,the liquids can seep in through the cap entrance even when fuel nozzle is not inserted,also the flap can be broken off at any time.I have voiced my opinion with ford uk but they do not seem interested ?.I have also emailed Top Gear as I think this is a bad lack of security on the fueling system.

cheers guys

Mark Fraser.
Gillingham uk
Hi Mate, just bought 09 Focus Zetec, pleased with it but discovered filler cap not locked and security hazard, then found your note, did you get any further with your enquiries?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
arlenn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67609
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 16 arlenn Great Standing Member
well they do have locking fuel caps available at most parts stores... might be an easier option for you?

I would actually like to hear jeremy clarkson's reply to that.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The new cap-less fuel system is designed to hold vapors in- not keep jerks out. I'd think that would come accompanied with a locking fuel door. That's quite an oversight. I think we should start giving intelligence tests to all Ford engineers now. It's not like locking fuel doors are a new thing. My old Aerostar had that.

Do you have any kind of a return law? I'd take a car back if I found something like that which I didn't notice when doing test drives or walk-arounds.

I'll bet we'll see a recall on this eventually. I'd definitely start searching for more phone numbers to call someone at Ford Corporate. They have complaint lines. It takes people like yourself to start calling in and putting out the word before actions will be taken. It won't happen overnight either. There might have to be some redesign issues.

Personally, my cap does not lock. All you have to do is flip the door, spin the cap off, insert tube, and start siphoning. Even in my high crime area- I never had a problem- even when our fuel prices jumped. Now when I was younger, I do recall an acquaintance who found a car in a parking lot and tried to find out if Drano made gasoline explode. That would be a good reason to have a locking cap.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
is there a problem with people messing with fuel systems in Europe. here in the US i almost never hear of people siphoning gas. if it happens they poke a hole in the tank because it easier.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I always believed the "sugar in the gas" story, 'till I saw a "Mythbusters?" episode debunking it.

Now, a large amount of diesel or some other incompatible chemical could cause problems, but you'd have to have someone with a serious grudge or a really warped sense of humor to spend $ & effort to mess up someones car...

Don't see many reports of such, but I suppose it happens from time to time....

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->