overheating the power steering fluid? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
ZenRanger94
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46237
What I Drive: 06 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 5 ZenRanger94 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
overheating the power steering fluid?

After autoxing today, I noticed that when I complete a series of runs, my steering becomes quite difficult at low speeds. After popping the hood to cool down the engine bay a bit, I noticed that there was some fluid on the top of the reservoir. I didn't notice any other leaks, so I cleaned it up, checked the level, and it was a bit high, but no bubbles or anything.
Before my next set of runs, the fluid level seemed to drop back to normal. again after the final runs, the level rose back up and again there was more fluid on top of the reservoir.
So it sounds to me like I'm boiling the fluid at these high rpm speeds and rapid turing. After everything cools down, I don't notice any problems on the street.
So after all of that, I guess my question would be: what kind of PS fluid would you guys recommend that can handle the higher heat and pressure of autox, and, should I look into getting a PS fluid cooler?

Thanks,

-Ken

/\ /\ ST Crew #77 /\ /\
06 Focus ZX4 ST
F2 Intake, Trubendz 2.5in w/hfc, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP dampers, Motegi Tracklite wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I've never heard of that happening. What type of fluid are you using? My manual recommends ATF for our PS pumps.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
i dont autocross but just for my own piece of mind i wrapped the PS line that goes over the header. i used DEI's Cool tape. it is a thick reflective tape. again, my car doesnt see the track so i cannot tell you if it helps under those conditions. but i would have to assume it would. cost my 17 at advanced auto
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
ZenRanger94
Focus Enthusiast

whynot-The fluid in there is whatever the dealer put in when they had to replace it under warranty two years ago for a different issue, so I'd assume it's probably the ATF then. possibly a heavier duty ATF then?

scrammer- I'll see if there are any spots on the dura where that might help.

Thanks guys!

is there anybody else here that runs a cooling line like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-1009/?
/\ /\ ST Crew #77 /\ /\
06 Focus ZX4 ST
F2 Intake, Trubendz 2.5in w/hfc, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP dampers, Motegi Tracklite wheels
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
afraziaaaa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47383
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 24 afraziaaaa Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
I don't know anybody that uses that setup. You should try it and see how it works! Worst that could happen is you waste $35.

You could probably mount it near where the cruise control servo is in that empty little spot there.

There is no place to wrap the hose though because your PS resevoir is near the intake manifold and not the exhaust manifold like the 05 and prior.

You could also try retro-fitting an 05 PS resevoir. There are a few people who have done that, and I have never heard of anyone boiling fluid during racing with that setup.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I'm putting my bet on the exhaust myself. I don't know if ATF+4 will work or not. I'd be afraid to try anything other than what's recommended. Other fluids will too thin like the Mercons, or possibly too thick. Either way, something won't be entirely right.

IDK of a cooler specific to PS fluid, but I'm sure you could rig up a secondary transmission cooler to work. If you know any junkyards, these were fairly common on F-150's, Aerostars, Broncos, and Rangers. It will be mounted in front of the condenser. You'll have to add it to the suction line so it won't lose pressure. Mounting would be the same as for a transmission- in front of the condenser/radiator.

I'd still try wrapping the exhaust near the rack though.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
roosterst
фанатик

Fan#: 61461
What I Drive: '05 CD silver ZX3 ST

FF Reputation: 77 roosterst Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I'd definitely flush out the old fluid. And, that cooler looks like a great idea. What did the guys down in autox chat have too say? Anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
ZenRanger94
Focus Enthusiast

They were stumped by it too, maybe mine issue is just a fluke. I'm definitly going to at least change it out this weekend, maybe I just need some fresh fluid.
/\ /\ ST Crew #77 /\ /\
06 Focus ZX4 ST

Last edited by ZenRanger94; 06-29-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
roosterst
фанатик

Fan#: 61461
What I Drive: '05 CD silver ZX3 ST

FF Reputation: 77 roosterst Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Maybe it is. You going to do the cooler too?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
FRDPLAY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54842
What I Drive: 2006 F-150 4x4, 99 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 FRDPLAY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I noticed my power steering pump leaking on my 04 SVT. I pulled the pump off tonight (PITA) and will be looking for a new pump tomorrow. My fluid was black and smells pretty burnt. I don't know if the fluid had anything to do with killing my pump, but feel it didn't help!

Bookmarks & Social Networks