HID questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
xtremepitbull
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59713
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 xtremepitbull Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HID questions

ive searched and wondered on opinions for hids ... i just recently bought these headlights which are double projectors

now ... i bought a set of i think 9006 low beam bulbs from my friend and they are 8k blue nokya halogen bulbs ... completely removed the cut off shields cause if im correct they are suppossed to be covering the top not the bottom ??? ... modded blue leds into the high beams so it has a unique look ... and switched the high and low beam positions cause the highs used to be far inside and the lows outside ... so im looking into an hid kit ... and im lookin 8k cause its the bright white with a hint of blue ... i dont want straight blue ... i want function over rediculous looking blue that you really cant see ... the projectors are totally sealed except the crystal is exposed and has no cover ... ive seen projectors that arent a bowl but are actually open vented ... ive heard hids are illegal in stocks cause they are blinding and not dot approved ... and my car is already a ticket nightmare for the 5-0 ... im in indiana and if anyone knows the laws out here that would also be a help ...

im also lookin into maybe doin a retro of a dif projector so its better output but thats later ... chime in if anyone has done this on these cause im seriously interested ...

are hids hotter burning or colder? and what exactly should i do just the lows or highs too?

all opinions are gonna be greatly appreciated thanks

My GF told me its her or tha car... im single now
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
slowduratec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59069
What I Drive: 2006 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 slowduratec Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What you mean you took the cut-off shield completely???? That cant be good. Can you show a pic of that. I live in indy how often you get down here, wouldnt mind helping you with this or the retro-fit part of it bc i just finished mine. All aftermarket hid's are illegal

As for heat they may run a couple degrees cooler. For the color IMHO 4300k are the best you get a bluish/purplishfrom head on and a lil yellow from some angles then white on the road. 4300k will give you a stock look and cops wont pay much attention to them, unless you get 8000k like you were talking about

Do the lows only with hid's because if you do hids in highs, when you turn on your highs they have to warm up to get to there full potential and when they do that you just have to turn them back off. Hids are not made to do that, Not worth it to me just get some good halogens for brights
Team Duratec #236
Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowduratec View Post
What you mean you took the cut-off shield completely???? That cant be good.
i was thinking the same thing! The projector lens reflects everything upside down. So your cutoff would be on the top and the light output would be on the bottom. lol. I've also done a retrofit into aftermarket headlights. Let me tell you its totally worth it!

My retrofit thread is here: CLICK!

TheRetrofitSource.com also recommends the 4300K bulbs for the most usable light. Anything higher than that is just for looks. I went with 6000K and its plenty bright (check out the pics on page 10 of my thread). HID's do put out a good amount of heat but the bulb life is over 2000 hrs if I'm not mistaken.

As far as legality, I've had my lights finished for a week or so and no cop problems. No one has flashed their lights at me cause my lights are too bright. It could be because of the amazing cutoff of the Acura TSX projectors. Basically, any OEM projector will greatly out perform the projectors that are in your lights now. There are many options for OEM projectors also (eBay).
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07

Last edited by Jgrove998; 06-23-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
slowduratec
Focus Addict

^your retro-fit thread is way better than mine
Team Duratec #236
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Kauai Guy
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
^ both of yours was probably better than mine.

But yeah, i would put teh shield back in teh projector. it may look like it would be blocking the light, but the lens actually flips the light upside down. its kinda like how the eye works.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
xtremepitbull
Focus Enthusiast

well the cutoff shield on my projector fogs were on the top and they were mounted right side up thats why i got confuzzled ... as for the cutoff shields they are long gone from the projectors and thats kinda hence why i wanna do a retro when i get some moneyy ... for 100 bux i think im gonna buy a hid kit and if i get flashed ill try to turn em down or ill take em out til i retro ... any ideas of color temp cuz now i heard that 8k is REALLY blue and not slight tint ... my projectors are open and dont have a lens over em is this a problem? and they are only held on my 4 adjustment screws on the back so idk how they would fit unless they are a perfect fit ... ill try to get some pics
Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
xtremepitbull
Focus Enthusiast

well ... for some reason now i wanna do a retro to my stocks ... i dont think ill like these projectors
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Kauai Guy
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremepitbull View Post
well ... for some reason now i wanna do a retro to my stocks ... i dont think ill like these projectors
thats what i did.

As for color temperature, its really up to you. do you want output, or do you want color?

The best color temp for output is 4300K, which is roughly sunlight around noon. As you go up higher on the Kelvin scale, you lose output, 8000K being one of the worse since its pure blue light (and blue scatters very easily). But having color with a retrofit is rather pointless, you would prefer more color at the cutoff so you get that 'twinkle' effect.

oh, and i would highly suggest you put the shields back if youre gonna put a kit in those projectors. you wont be able to see teh road very well and oncoming traffic will see your headlights as moving stadium lights.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
slowduratec
Focus Addict

Yea if you took the shields out of your projectors, your just throwing light everywhere.

Do what kauai did it looks really good like that. Just do a retro take your time and do it right and you will get what you want.
Team Duratec #236
Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
xtremepitbull
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItKauai View Post
thats what i did.

As for color temperature, its really up to you. do you want output, or do you want color?

The best color temp for output is 4300K, which is roughly sunlight around noon. As you go up higher on the Kelvin scale, you lose output, 8000K being one of the worse since its pure blue light (and blue scatters very easily). But having color with a retrofit is rather pointless, you would prefer more color at the cutoff so you get that 'twinkle' effect.

oh, and i would highly suggest you put the shields back if youre gonna put a kit in those projectors. you wont be able to see teh road very well and oncoming traffic will see your headlights as moving stadium lights.

well i really love this look so much better than my aftermarkets ... i think i will look around for some good ideas ... and im definately not looking for pure blue hids ... im looking for right around 6k cause its a clean white with a small tint of blue ... looks plus function ...keep it kauai do you have any pics or your retro i really am interested in that

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.