Ractive intake system works great! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
johngyver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10927
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 johngyver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ractive intake system works great!

I just put on the Ractive intake system into my 2002 SE sedan. This intake system is nice qaulity and priced very reasonable. I looked all over ebay and many Focus part sites before I decided to go with the Ractive intake.

The system costs about $100. The pipe is chrome with black rubber parts and stainless steel hardware. I installed it in less than 30 minutes. The system comes with both the zetec and the SPI rubber connector which is awesome! For those who plan on upgrading the TB can do so at a later date while still being able to install it on your current SPI TB.

The performance was better than expected. The actual horse power gained may not be huge but the throttle response to my otherwise sluggish SPI was great! It really made a difference! The car actually sounds great too! I personally hate the loud sounds many "Rice burner" cars make. I was not looking for anything stupid sounding! This system sounds very nice! I feel like I am in a sportier car with the additional sound from the intake! (In reality it is all in my mind... the car is still slow overall!) This upgrade is worth every penny!

Looks great, sounds great and performs great too! I am happy with this intake system!

PS - My stock SPI / SE sedan will be undergoing many upgrades guys.... this was just the first of many! I also have TCY tail lights, clear grill lights in the front and clear bumper lights too! I have 20% tint all around which makes my silver SE look awesome! (I need rims and tires which are next on the list!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
im_focusd01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 10432
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 im_focusd01 Good Standing Member
great review. where did you get your clear grill light
Old 07-25-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
johngyver
Focus Enthusiast

The clear grill lights were purchased on ebay about 3 months ago. I saw them every once and a while. I decided to jump on it before they went away.... which they seem to have. They were going for $120 to $180 plu $18 to ship. The clear lights make the car stand out compared to stock!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
bowersdaazian
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2963
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3 ; FSW/JCM PWSC SVT

FF Reputation: 8 bowersdaazian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
yeah ebay is the only place to find the clear grill signals. I just decided to save the money for clears and spray tint all my lights. looks sweet.

"Jam Harder, Penetrate Deeper, Dispense Longer"
and
"In God we Trust, All Others we Monitor, Jam or Deceive"
Old 07-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5034
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX SPI

FF Reputation: 1 LordMasterSi Good Standing Member
How do yous "spray" tint?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
nite shades. www.newedgeperformance.com carries some

as far as the ractive intake, the metal tube can kill power when the car is running at normal temps, the tube gets a good bit hotter and warms the air charge which means less dense air. also, which filter is on there? is it the one with the chrome heat shield? if it is u will see a bit more airflow going to an exposed cone filter, the filter inside that chrome shell is tiny! crack it open and look. i had a ractive on my zetec as my first intake, it was OK in the winter but during the hotter days it really got kind of bad
Old 07-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
johngyver
Focus Enthusiast

I'd hate to sound harsh but most intakes I see offered on the market are made of metal. So why try to bash the Ractive intake on that point? The only non metal intake pipe that I know of is the stock plastic tube from Ford. As far as the heat issue you brought up I live in Texas where heat is the only thing that is constant. I installed the unit In July which is one of our hottest months. The difference between the stock air intake system and the Ractive is very noticable. I have to restate that the performance gain was more than I was expecting. Um, you live in the city known as "Mile High" which makes you an expert in snow related topics. Leave heat related issues to parts of the country that actually have heat. Denver weather is well below our heat index. Now I am not saying that the Ractive is the best air intake out on the market BUT for less than $100 you can buy an intake that looks good, sounds good and most importantly works far better than the stock system.... and by the way.... it is the only air intake system that comes with both the zetec and the SPI mounting hardware that I know of. The cone filter can be replaced for $3 with a larger one if it bothers you that much, however, it works just fine (actually far better than the stock) down here in the Texas heat. The system is worth every penny. You don't have to modify your SPI TB to install it either. It is of great quality and it looks good. I am sorry but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Ractive intake system. :)
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Yeah like it never gets to be 100 degrees here. get with it eh. i was just giving u some insight on what another owner thought of it. i never said it was a bad intake and its ok for the money. just when it gets hot your going to experience power loss. i was tryin to give you the heads up on the filter too to help you squeeze a little more performance out of it but ok.

didnt mean to come off bashing so sorry if you misunderstood.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
jimnran
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8651
What I Drive: 2001 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 jimnran Good Standing Member
I had an aluminum pipe on my SPI for about 6 months until the rubber neck broke and I put a stock plastic pipe back on. I use a Ractive cone filter with no heat shield and I have to say it works great. I didn't notice any differance betwen the chrome and plastic tubes as far as heat and power loss. My wife has the Ractive filter w/heatshield on her '04 Elantra GT and I feel no differance between heatshield and no heatshield. I do feel a differance with the heat only with dramatic changes, kind of like "night and day". Just my 2 cents on the subject.

jimnran
Old 08-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #10
NIR Panther Jedi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4909
What I Drive: '06 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 NIR Panther Jedi Good Standing Member
Hey where you at in Denver dude? I was wondering if you wanted to meet up sometime..cuz me and my friend have a car club going in colorado..it's called Pro Customs Auto Sports, there are 2 focus's, an Evo VIII, Eclipse, Probe, and a WRX...Email me sometime if your interested...panther@cmconline.com
<Team Duratec #49>

CAI, Custom exhaust, 2.5" piping, 3A Racing Muffler...(Sounds pretty good..)

JVC Headunit: MP3/CD/AM-FM
2 12" Subs in Bandpass box
580WATT Dual 2/1 Channel Amp
Radar Detector

Bookmarks & Social Networks