Good news for Steeda SRI owners! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Good news for Steeda SRI owners!

Well as I mentioned in another thread I planned to use my friends scan tool and look at the IAT (intake air temperatures) from my Steeda SRI at idle AND driving.

The discussion came about when the problem of a CAI being too close to a radiator hose heating the pipe and in turn heating the air entering. After that the once again long debated subject of SRI heat soak came up, well with this I hope to solve this argument.

Just a recap of my engine mods...

Steeda SRI / bottom half of stock intake still on and capped off.
FC 65mm TB
FS 2.25 exhaust

Todays temps at 4:30pm CST was 96 degrees, this was taken off the scan tool and confirmed by weather.com

THE BAD NEWS

The test began after first driving 13miles home and immediately connecting the scan tool to my car idling, the temps began in the high 90's after 5min. sitting in the sun with the hood closed it hit 111* after 10min. idle it hit 120*!!

THE GOOD NEWS

This part was surprising to me, there has also been discussions that the CAI is a all around better option for your car b/c it will pull colder air than a SRI can get stuck in the engine bay. Today I confirmed that theory to be FALSE!!! Even after hitting the 120* mark I take off from my drive way and by the time I hit 55mph the temp had gone to 109, by the time I got to 65mph (posted speed limit) the car IAT has gotten to a LOW of 97* THATS 1 DEGREE HIGHER THAN THE OUTSIDE AIR!! I'd love to see a CAI of ANY kind get better than that, the engine also never showed any sign of heat soak while first driving after hitting 120* IAT.

In traffic (work traffic in the city) I hit a total of 4 traffic lights all lasting about 2min. each. With the combining stop and go / slow moving my intake temps reached a high of 102, the car showed no sign of bogging or heat soak.

Conclusion, if you have a SRI and its 100* outside don't let you car sit for more than 5min. and don't expect it not to start sucking hot air if you do. If your at the drag strip try to leave your hood popped before you race in the staging lanes. If you are on the highway you will be getting JUST AS COLD AIR AS A CAI CAN GET, IMHO the SRI is the best SAFEST way to get the most performance out of your engine while protecting it from the dangers of hydrolock.

I really hope this helps and if others would like to repeat this test to confirm results please do so, I would like to put the heat soak myth to rest.

Jon

GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I have to agree with you. The Steeda SRI uses that heat shield to prevent any rising heat from getting to the filter. It's an almost flawless design.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

To be honest I believe the heat shield is just a pretty piece of metal used to dress up the engine bay. The high amounts of wind (even at 55) under the hood is what causes the severe temp drop.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
focusboy5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50002
What I Drive: Four Wheels

FF Reputation: 31 focusboy5 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I like cause i has. Great work! Rep for you. Good to have some numbers behind it.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
captcurt_18
Freeskiing Fanatic!

Fan#: 49565
What I Drive: 2005 Light Tundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 26 captcurt_18 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
badass! nice research!
Sedan Revolution Member #120
University of Montana
Photoshop Guru! PM me if you need something chopped up
Give me rep if im helpful!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks for the conformation......those temperatures are similar to what I have found with my Steeda SRI (using a wireless temperature sender). I placed my sender practically touching my Steeda air filter and did all sorts of testing under different conditions.

My conclusion.....as long as you're moving, the intake air temperature to the Steeda will be practically the same as the best CAI system.

Now to lower the air temperature at the Steeda filter, I constructed a dedicated intake fan which blows cooler air upward toward the Steeda. I have this fan wired to come on with the ignition, but I can turn it off from the driver seat while moving. This fan lowers the temperature at the Steeda quite a bit when driving slowly.....almost 25 degrees. I did testing with/without this fan in operation.

My take.....buy a SRI and don't worry much about getting a hydro-lock. Your friend with his CAI has nothing over you, except he's taking a risk that you're not. The CAI thing is a MYTH.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
tetra
pwned

Fan#: 60621
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 10 tetra Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice work for sure. I did get heat soak once though.. On a busy highway traffic was car to car and when I started moving my car started to bog. It was about 94°F outside but humid as well in Toronto.. This was the only time I ever had heatsoak. Your conclusion of 100 and sitting outside for 5 mins are exactly right.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
Thanks for the conformation......those temperatures are similar to what I have found with my Steeda SRI (using a wireless temperature sender). I placed my sender practically touching my Steeda air filter and did all sorts of testing under different conditions.

My conclusion.....as long as you're moving, the intake air temperature to the Steeda will be practically the same as the best CAI system.

Now to lower the air temperature at the Steeda filter, I constructed a dedicated intake fan which blows cooler air upward toward the Steeda. I have this fan wired to come on with the ignition, but I can turn it off from the driver seat while moving. This fan lowers the temperature at the Steeda quite a bit when driving slowly.....almost 25 degrees. I did testing with/without this fan in operation.

My take.....buy a SRI and don't worry much about getting a hydro-lock. Your friend with his CAI has nothing over you, except he's taking a risk that you're not. The CAI thing is a MYTH.
Thats a very cool idea and I have been playing with an idea like that in my head for a while but have yet to put it into gear. I'm glad others have gotten close to the same results as me.

Thanks for the Rep focusboy.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
jeff434
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46982
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 jeff434 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You're saying that the SRI is fine, but you forgot the most important part. You didn't test it against a CAI at the same time. You'd be more credible if you would have. I'd be willing to bet money that the IATs at idle and speeds no higher than 35-40 mph the CAI will have a lower average than the SRI. I can just imagine the difference between the two in stop and go traffic with the a/c cranked.

Obviously when the car is moving @ 55+ mph you are not going to have a heat soak issue with a SRI. It is the hot summer traffic jams where the problems exist. I live in Salt Lake City and our summers get up around 100-105 at the most and with the traffic here on days like that, I can assure you heat soak is a problem.

i agree with you here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusin View Post
Conclusion, if you have a SRI and its 100* outside don't let you car sit for more than 5min. and don't expect it not to start sucking hot air if you do.
and here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusin View Post
To be honest I believe the heat shield is just a pretty piece of metal used to dress up the engine bay. The high amounts of wind (even at 55) under the hood is what causes the severe temp drop.
I'm not calling BS because you are right, but how often do you drive at speeds higher than 55mph the majority of the time? I know for me and probably a lot of other members that the majority of driving is spent in the 35-40mph range give or take a little.
Last of the hatches #43
Team Duratec #666
Midwest Crew #24
Steeda SRI(winter), K&N FiPk(summer) Steeda STS, Trubendz 2.5'' SS w/ Magnaflow, Toms tune
Old 06-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff434 View Post
You're saying that the SRI is fine, but you forgot the most important part. You didn't test it against a CAI at the same time. You'd be more credible if you would have. I'd be willing to bet money that the IATs at idle and speeds no higher than 35-40 mph the CAI will have a lower average than the SRI. I can just imagine the difference between the two in stop and go traffic with the a/c cranked.

Obviously when the car is moving @ 55+ mph you are not going to have a heat soak issue with a SRI. It is the hot summer traffic jams where the problems exist. I live in Salt Lake City and our summers get up around 100-105 at the most and with the traffic here on days like that, I can assure you heat soak is a problem.

I'm not calling BS because you are right, but how often do you drive at speeds higher than 55mph the majority of the time? I know for me and probably a lot of other members that the majority of driving is spent in the 35-40mph range give or take a little.
I would love to have tested the CAI but sadly no one around me has one on a duratec and our SVT uses a ram air set up. I completely agree that at idle and stop and go traffic the CAI will show lower IAT but if the only issue is heat soak bogging your engine down you are not needing full power in stop and go, also if your running your A/C your REALLY bogging your engine down anyway.

I really wish someone with a CAI will do this test in a HIGH TEMP area, b/c my theory is you will still be getting HOT air. If your stopped on a street in 100 degree weather and the sun has been baking the street all day that heat radiating UP off the pavement is doing the same as the engine bay heat and its more than 100 degrees for sure.

You asked how often I drive at 55 +, to be honest I drive 65mph (70 when on the interstate) 90% of all my driving. Lower Alabama is FULL of highways and the city traffic is only bad on the way to the beach where again its 55 MOST of the way. When traffic is real bad I don't feel any heat soak b/c I'm not pushing my car to race in traffic.

I've never seen any issue with heat soak since I bought it in 2006 in Alabama 100+* weather. Although if you have a CAI and can perform the test that would be great!

I enjoy all your feedback on this issue, challenging ideas is the only way we can determine the final result on CAI Vs. SRI.

Jon
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
cai vs sri, heat soak