Replacing engine mount 2005 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
MadFF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62398
What I Drive: 2005 Brown Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 MadFF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replacing engine mount 2005 Focus

Hello all...

I previously posted in the huge thread about the Zetec engine stumble about my wife's 2005 Focus wagon engine vibration.

Another person posted about changing the passenger side engine mount which helped with his vibration. I have gone over everything I can think of with the engine (including bringing it to the dealer), and so now I want to try changing the passenger side engine mount.

Is this easy to do? I could ask (or demand) the dealer to do it, but I prefer working on my own vehicles. Looking at the engine, it looks like I just have to move the radiator reservoir out of the way, and there are 4 or so bolts to remove while supporting the engine. Looks almost too easy, lol.

2005 Ford Focus ZXW (wagon), 64,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I think you've got it figured out.....looks easy to me also. Not everything on these cars is difficult to replace, although it sometimes seems so.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
just be sure to already be supporting the engine before you start disassembling.

Before you go ahead and replace it, check the dog bone engine mount. To me, that is the most noticeable one for engine vibrations.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
MadFF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62398
What I Drive: 2005 Brown Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 MadFF Good Standing Member
Will do. Speaking of which.... how do I "check" the engine mounts without removing them? I was just planning on replacing the passenger side mount since I've read in a couple places to do that for vibration. I can push on the mount(s) or engine, and there is a little movement, but I don't know if that is normal or not.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
jdl_131
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66168
What I Drive: 2004 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 jdl_131 Good Standing Member
I replaced all of my mounts and when I did the transmission mount (dog bone mount) last...I didn't notice any improvement in vibration until I did that one. Even then I felt like it was still a little heavy on the vibration. Unfortunately the trans mount was the most difficult to work on for me. You are correct with how you said to replace the left front mount.

Not to be insulting but maybe you are in the same boat I was...I had never driven a "cheap" car or a 4 cylinder and I think I just wasn't used to the vibration or lack of sound damping.

The only other car I've had was a BMW and it felt like it was floating on the road. My other trucks were very expensive and ran like a dream but rolled like a lumber wagon. I guess the Focus is somewhere between.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Russellzxw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103101
What I Drive: 2005 silver zxw

FF Reputation: 1 Russellzxw Good Standing Member
Hi,

I have a 2005 Focus wagon with an engine vibration as well. Its most notable at lower rpms, at idle or coming to a stop. Wondering if you ended up changing your mounts, if so which ones and did it help with the vibration?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
focusgg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96641
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 focusgg Good Standing Member
I made a video on how to do this when I replaced mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_r0Jh294FM

It is a very simple thing to do. If you don't have an engine hoist, you may use a car jack underneath the oil pan. Just be sure to place a block of wood between the jack and the pan. I believe this is safe ... can anyone confirm?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
cal50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8140
What I Drive: 2 cars!

Points 188, Level 3
Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cal50 Good Standing Member
The upper fluid filled mount is simple to replace. I would suggest using a Ford mount. The autozone mount is pure garbage with a lifetime warranty. I went through 3 of them until I got a factory replacement and my money back from autozone. I did get pretty quick at the swap and I am down to 20 minutes.

Support engine under oil pan with a floor jack and piece of wood. I applied very slight upward pressure to it. Move coolant tank to side and simply remove the mount bolts and the mount. you will have to twist it around to get it to clear getting it out but it will fit.
You will need a vise or an air impact to break the nut loose on the mount once removed.
Put back together in reverse order.

The lower dog bone mount is also pretty straight forward to replace. Remove bolt and swing the engine to the front to slide the bone in and out.

Driver side mount made little difference on my car once replaced. On my 03 I pulled the battery and replaced the mount.

The upper passenger side mount and the dog bone will make the most noise when bad.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,138, Level 97
Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Holy cow, bring back a 3 year old thread next time.

It's really best if you post your own thread asking for advice. There are a lot of us who won't even respond to old threads. To do so, you have to be on the thread list page in General Technical Chat, at the top of the thread list, on the left is a yellow button that says "Post New Thread", click that and type away. You'll get more answers that way.

Motor mounts are a well discussed issue. There are 3. One on the front of the engine, one on the transmission under the battery, and one on the center underneath. Suspect and inspect all of them. The front mount is the one that typically loses fluid and won't work right. The rear mount is solid rubber, so look for cracks and damage there. The mount underneath the car should be checked for cracks as well- and also check the mounting bracket for that mount to see if it is damaged. If the bracket is damaged, then you'll have to get the Motorcraft part for it which should come with the bracket.

Good luck, and thanks for posting!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
drlenger
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99839
What I Drive: 2003, Focus, SE

Points 498, Level 9
Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 drlenger Good Standing Member
I just posted a new thread about this titled "Zetec Rough Idle Mystery Solved" trust me.....change all three and whatever you do.....DON'T use Chinese parts from Auto Zone, Advance, Oriellys, etc.....go to Ford and buck up....it will save you a ton of grief.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.