SCT X3 / LiveLink Data Logging Issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SCT X3 / LiveLink Data Logging Issue

OK, any help here would be appreciated. I'm trying to data log my A/F and not having any luck. I have an SCT X3 and I'm data logging via LiveLink. However anytime I select any analog input to log in LiveLink I get the following error;

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index"

My A/F meter is a Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite Wideband A/F meter (model 4378) from AutoMeter.
This one;

There are two leads on the A/F for data logging (blue and blue/black). The blue lead voltage fluctuates with the A/F meter while the blue/black reads a constant .07.

My FireWire cable is a six pin to four pin. Cut off the four pin connector and I have four wires (orange,red,blue and green). These wires do match up to the pin outs on SCT's wiring diagram (see below) with the exception of pin 1&2 which have no wires.

After talking with SCT today we thought we had it with the Blue lead from the A/F connected to Analog 1 (Pin 3 (orange)) and the blue/black lead from the A/F connected to Analog 1 Ground (Pin 4 (blue)). Nope, same error.

I have tried every wiring combination I can think of and still get the same error.

Also of note:
1. If the X3 is plugged into the OBDII port I get the error when I select any analog input and I get the error even if the FireWire is NOT plugged into the X3.

2. If the X3 is not plugged into the OBDII port I can select any analog input and NOT receive any error.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

PS: Yes, I have read all the threads on here and the internet that I could find. Everything I've found is for another flasher and A/F meter that uses a mini 9 pin cable not Firewire.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Points 14,482, Level 78
Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
hmm... I'm not sure about the autometer wideband but for the AEM, you have to put in an equation for the analog to read correctly. On livelink, once you select your configuration with analog, right click on the analog and there should be something for editing analog or analog options, something like that. It'll ask for an equation and put in V*2+10. That should give you an accurate reading.

Also, try turning on all 4 analogs at once. It could be that livelink is just reading on a different analog for your USB.

Something else you could try is checking your computer Mbps. Livelink likes to run at 38,500mbps. If you get any errors about it, then try 127,000mbps. Most computers have a factory setting of 13,400mbps so that could also be why livelink doesn't want to read it.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. I never get a chance to enter an equation, as soon as I select the analog input from the list of PIDs I get the error message. Currently I've left the equation in LiveLink on the default which is simply to monitor the voltage.

I've tried several combinations of analog choices including all 4 at once, still just produces the error message.

With the X3 the connection to the computer is USB, but the connection from the A/F meter to the X3 is Firewire. So you have the Firewire (A/F input) going into the top of the X3 and the USB out the bottom to the computer.

Also SCT told me it has nothing to do with any of the settings in the X3 which at this point is simply passing the data through to LiveLink.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Which version of livelink are you using?

Analogs can be chosen without even having the analog cable connected to the device so at this point it doesn't sound like a wiring issue.

When you have the analog chosen, do you have any other parameters up or just the analogs?

When the error message comes up is there an "ok" button or does the program close after that?

Also, as you have found out, the above wiring diagram is only for the cable we sell. If you were to buy even a 6 pin from the store the wiring and/or colors may be different and you would have to pin it out to find which pins go where.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Hi, it's version 5.1 build 0.

I believe I have tried it with a new configuration without any other parameters up but I will have to confirm that after work tonight.

The dialog box does have an OK button, which I can select and the program stays open.

I have pinned out the wires and they do match up with your cable.

One other point, this only happens when the X3 is connected to the OBDII and I'm selecting the analog inputs from the PIDs that come up then. If the X3 is NOT connected to the OBDII I can select any analog input I want and it works fine (meaning the analog inputs display in LiveLink - not that I can log anything at that point).

PS: Tell JR I said thanks again, he was great on the phone with me and very patient with my layman answers to his questions.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ok, thats good; you are using the latest.

Do you get the message only when using a configuration file or does it come up if you just choose the analogs fresh?

Next time you get it, try just hitting ok and starting the log. I have seen this error (or something similar) but it was on a GM and you could actually just hit ok and go on with no issues. This is the first I have seen or heard of this with ford.

JR is a patient dude. You kind of have to be to work in our tech support. I will let him know you said thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
Hi, it's version 5.1 build 0.

I believe I have tried it with a new configuration without any other parameters up but I will have to confirm that after work tonight.

The dialog box does have an OK button, which I can select and the program stays open.

I have pinned out the wires and they do match up with your cable.

One other point, this only happens when the X3 is connected to the OBDII and I'm selecting the analog inputs from the PIDs that come up then. If the X3 is NOT connected to the OBDII I can select any analog input I want and it works fine.

PS: Tell JR I said thanks again, he was great on the phone with me and very patient with my layman answers to his questions.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
Ok, thats good; you are using the latest.

Do you get the message only when using a configuration file or does it come up if you just choose the analogs fresh?

I'll have to play some more after work to answer that one for sure.

Next time you get it, try just hitting ok and starting the log. I have seen this error (or something similar) but it was on a GM and you could actually just hit ok and go on with no issues. This is the first I have seen or heard of this with ford.

After hitting OK LiveLink does not display the analog input under "signal and value".

I was just reading the known problems/issues with 5.1.0 and noted the "Analog inputs are not supported X3 GM (3400/3415)" statement. Do you think it would matter if I had not selected "Ford" under the Module menu? I can't say for sure that I have done that every time I've played with this.

JR is a patient dude. You kind of have to be to work in our tech support. I will let him know you said thanks.
Thanks for your time with this.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Yes, I still get the same error by simply selecting the analog input in a fresh file.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Damage
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10682
What I Drive: 04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 Damage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
If I remeber correctly, when I datalog the wideband signal I forgot to plug in the firewire once and it didnt give me an error, it just set at one value and didnt change. Did you try datalogging directly to the x3 and not using the livelink for now?
Tuned by Tom
Cluchmasters clutch/torsen diff
Old 06-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Thank you for reminding me, I have tried data logging directly to the X3 and that doesn't work either!

I can not log anything directly to the X3. Even if I only select one item to log, like battery voltage, it errors out after about 5 seconds and says "Communication Lost!".

And I know it's 5 seconds because the selected PIDs show on the screen (never with any values though) and the timer is running at the top of the screen before I get the error.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.