2005 ZX5 SES Deal Of The Century - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
aafflyer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10909
What I Drive: Bought a 2005 CD Silver ZX5 SES for my son -- I drive an 01 Sport Trac

FF Reputation: 1 aafflyer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ZX5 SES Deal Of The Century, $1117 below invoice / no trade!

For those who don't want to read the novel I wrote (sorry), the main point was Kearny Mesa Ford sold a 2005 for $1117 BELOW invoice! Original post below:

I just had the most pleasant buying experience of my life. I went shopping for a 2004 Focus "end of year clearance sale" for my son (college graduation gift / 21st birthday present), and came home with a 2005 and a sweet deal.

I had gone thru all the Friday and Saturday car ads, which had a number of 2004 Focus cars advertised, none of which really matched what I was looking for. But I printed several of the "best ads" in terms of maximum difference between MSRP and the before rebate price. There was one dealer offering $2000 off MSRP (before any rebates), one at around $1700 off, another at $1500 off. Finally, there was Drew Ford with their ad for $1200 off MSRP for any remaining 2004 Focus.

So, having checked all the San Diego area dealers inventory on the web, off I went to El Cajon Ford to see what kind of deal I could get on the car I really wanted. What a joke that was -- on a $18K MSRP Focus where they had two of the exact same configuration (even color), they refused to even go $1000 off MSRP (before rebates). So, not needing the car, I walked -- with the manager not even trying to say "wait" and call me back.

I then started driving all over San Diego, going to five more dealers and finding no 2004 cars that I even would want to try to negotiate on. I was about to the point of heading home and letting the whole idea cool, and see if El Cajon Ford called in the next day or two with a better offer -- which if they did I might have even just settled for them matching the Drew Ford $1200 off any 2004 Focus.

Then I went to Kearny Mesa Ford. Dan (a great salesperson, not the typical pond scum) showed me their 2004 cars. Yuck. He asked what I was trying to do by buying a 2004, as he had a lot more 2005 Focus cars he could show me. I explained that this was an unneeded purchase for my son who didn't even know I was looking, but that with the $3000 rebate and the clearance deals it was tempting. I told him I found a car I liked, but the dealer would not give me the $1200 off the MSRP which I thought was a bare minimum to make the deal. He then asked that if I could get an equal deal on a 2005, would I consider it. I then reminded hin that the 2005's had a $1000 less rebate, and he said "what if I got you the $2200 off a 2005?". I said "yeah, right". But he talked to his manager who said go find a car and then they would see what they could do.

Well, the only car that caught my eye was of course $19,935 instead of the $18K of the other, but I wanted to see what they would do so I said they could work the numbers. Well, back they came with $2200 off MSRP plus the $2000 rebates -- this was without any trade, so they were not playing games with make it up in the trade. I said it was more than I wanted to spend, but it was a great offer and I would need to think on it. They then asked if my son had a car to trade, and I said I had planned to sell it myself (1998 Cavalier, 75000 miles).

They then said they would appraise it and maybe it could help make the deal work. So, they took a look, and did hit me with a lowball appraisal. I laughed, said I would think about the new car. They then upped he trade in allowance, I still said no. So, now I'm getting ready to leave and they said they wanted to make the 2005 sale today without the trade, and offered me $17,000 out the door, tax licence, fees included, 2K rebate to them. I said, wait, what's this in terms of sales price. They put all the numbers down on paper and the net deal is it was $2500+ off of MSRP pluss the $2K in rebates.

Well, I pondered it, and finally said "ok" as I knew I was going to have a pretty happy / shocked son, and that this was a darn good deal. Well, I've just gotton done putting all the options into the web sites that give the invoice prices, and low and behold, I just got a 2005 for $1117 below invoice with no trade to muddy the water, plus the $2K in rebates.

Needless to say, I'm happy and my son's thrilled.

I told my salesperson I would try to send referals, so if anyone is in the market in San Diego for a Ford (or he says any other vehicle as Sunroad, the parent company of Kearny Mesa Ford, allows them to broker other non Ford products and my salesperson said he is approved to represent some 14 other brands), drop me an email as I would love to send business this guys way.

I'm still in shock that they sold a 2005 for that much under invoice!

Charlie

Last edited by aafflyer; 07-26-2004 at 11:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
KoRnGtL15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4258
What I Drive: 05 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 1 KoRnGtL15 Good Standing Member
I think the 05's suck. There just plain ugly. But sounds like a good deal you got there. Doesnt your son work?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
KoRnGtL15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4258
What I Drive: 05 Mazda 3i

FF Reputation: 1 KoRnGtL15 Good Standing Member
Oh yeah just noticed it was your first post. We get together at fudruckers in mira mesa every tues nite @8. Tell him to come on down if he wants to.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
aafflyer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10909
What I Drive: Bought a 2005 CD Silver ZX5 SES for my son -- I drive an 01 Sport Trac

FF Reputation: 1 aafflyer Good Standing Member
Yeah, the 2004 at El Cajon (ZX3 Premier package) did look pretty nice. It does seem as if everyone at this site is dumping on the 05's.

But, as the saying goes "never look a gift car in the mouth" -- my son is still happy, and you'd have to admit that even the 05 Focus blows away a 98 Cavalier.

I'll let him know about the Mira Mesa get togethers.

Charlie
Old 07-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
Jimmy Tango
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9212
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jimmy Tango Good Standing Member
well,, i cant say as i like the 05'z as much as the 04'z, but if u wanna pay for me one,, i'll take it,, especially since the 2k5'z have more power with the duratecs, and telescoping steering wheel, overhead storage, cd case holder, and even improved suspension, i think,, anyway congrats on your sons new car,, and welcome to FF
Old 07-25-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
scironzts
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 893
What I Drive: '04 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 scironzts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the boards!!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Nice purchase, I prefer the 04s myself, but there's a lot to be said for the 2005 styling too... especially if it's free (in your son's case)! Sounds like you did get a great deal, and your dealership cares about making customers happy instead of having a "screw that, let him find a focus somewhere else!" attitude.

And as you said, regardless of personal preference on the 05s I'm pretty sure anyone wuold agree it's better than the Cavi!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
bowersdaazian
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2963
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3 ; FSW/JCM PWSC SVT

FF Reputation: 8 bowersdaazian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The 05's are pretty nice, but i prefer the 04's (seeing as i got one for little more then ten grand).

"Jam Harder, Penetrate Deeper, Dispense Longer"
and
"In God we Trust, All Others we Monitor, Jam or Deceive"
Old 07-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Justine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7410
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, White, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Justine Good Standing Member
The SES model is sooo nice!! Congratulations!!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #10
dsk02c

Fan#: 6704
What I Drive: .. what?

FF Reputation: 1 dsk02c Good Standing Member
yup.

Quote:
Originally posted by KoRnGtL15
"I think the 05's suck. There just plain ugly. But sounds like a good deal you got there."
here here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.