anyone ever get their entire car painted? I'd like to know the costs. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
spacegravity4me
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 30431
What I Drive: Gray 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 42 spacegravity4me Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
anyone ever get their entire car painted? I'd like to know the costs.

Hey, had an idea today, need to know how much it would cost to paint the entire car. Anyone? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
TrueBlue02
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64124
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, Blue

FF Reputation: 2 TrueBlue02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
There are a million variables - what kind of paint, color change, what damage is on the car, etc.

I am getting mine painted right now. I had a few dents, some cracks in the rear bumper, filling in 4 holes from license plate in front bumper, keeping the same Sonic Blue color.

I am paying $1200 through a friend on the forums. I got a quote for about $1700 from somewhere else. Custom will run really high.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
partial jack...... so to get the same color repaint, probably a lil cheaper than $2K?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
TrueBlue02
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64124
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, Blue

FF Reputation: 2 TrueBlue02 Good Standing Member
I am getting body work done and same color for well under 2K
Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
x FoCuSfReAk x
Lets get twisted

Fan#: 60594
What I Drive: '05 Jeep WK

FF Reputation: 7 x FoCuSfReAk x Good Standing Member
I've heard around $1600 tp $1700 as well from local shops. It depends on where you go and if you are getting it custom done or not.

Not to thread jack but I have a question about painting. Do most shops leave the engine bay the stock color? Cause I was thinking about going liquid grey or sonic blue but my car is yellow now. But I don't want some ugly color contrast going on. I kinda figured they would have to remove the engine to do it but I just wanted to see. Or if it's possible for them to paint the more viewable areas near the top of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
lol I bet that was a kick in the ego pants.....
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
kjsoccerdude
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I've heard to get a different color than the one you have now and to get the engine bay and entire car costs over $3k. But if it's the same color around $2k. If you take away the the engine bay closer to $1.5k.

But that's just what I've heard. It's also why I'd never dream of getting one. I'd much rather spend my money on other stuff to put in/on my car.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Prices are going to vary from place to place and region to region. It also helps to know someone that does body work, I had my friend paint my fiberglass body kit and install it for me for just under $1200. To bad that didn't last long. The next year I went out and had the bottom half of my car painted blue for only $600, then later I had it changed to a different body kit being painted and various other parts mounted and painted as well for just under $1,000. It's all in who you know and how much time they are putting into it. Granted I did go out and buy all the supplies that run me an extra $220. Nothing like knowing the right people for when you need stuff done. But I am guessing if you don't know anyone that does this kind of work you are going to be looking at something around $2,000 or more. But if you are wanting to get down into the door jams, engine bay and every other part to where the old color would be showing you're looking at something in excess of $3,000 easily for the cheapest job to be done. That's probably just going to be for the labor cost of it too.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
jasper46
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65470
What I Drive: .........

FF Reputation: 3 jasper46 Good Standing Member
overall

Everyone here has given you some good advise! (give rep to them please).
My boyfriend and i run a paint shop, and the first thing we ask people is, ?how much do you want to spend? Thats really going to dictate what kind of finish you will get. Some of the clear coats we have used can get up towards $1000.00 a sprayable gallon. And thats not including base coat, any repairs, etc.etc... Just really think about what your ultimate goals for the car are. Remember, paint will not make you go faster, if anything it will add about 150lbs to the car! We allways recommend doing all your paint work last, after all mods/restoration. That way it doesn't get jacked when your workin' on it! Just take it slow and really think about what you want. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
evanjfrancis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58870
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 evanjfrancis Great Standing Member
depends if youre getting the same color again or new. repainting same color is a lot cheaper
Old 06-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
j-zetec_pr
MACHINERY TECHNIAN

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
prices here are anywhere between 1600 and 2000, but that's outside only and basic (same color, no jambs, or underhood)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
cost, paint, price