Registered - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61033
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

FF Reputation: 4 steve35svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The amount of gas has two thoughts, run full or run empty. Empty if your worried about the extra wieght. I normally run full. The reason not to run half tank is fuel sloshing side to side can hurt the cornering. Running either full or empty minimizes that issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #12
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
wow ya i never thought of that thanks man. how much gas do you guys ussually so through in a day of auto x? form start to finish. i would think that its a pretty good amount cause your on it a lot all day. thanks guys for the info and help.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
I'll do about 6 runs on a fairly long track (they are usually in the neighborhood of 60 seconds) with lots of high speed WOT sections and generally I won't use up more than 1/8 tank or so. In fact if I fill it up, I leave the track with the needle still barely on Full.

However most of the time I run a 1/2 tank or less. I don't really notice the sloshing and I don't want to starve the fuel pump by running it empty. I do run a fairly stiff suspension though so that might have a little to do with it. I seem to be much faster without a ton of gas in the tank since my car has 0 power and likes to maintain low RPM (auto).

If you know where your weight is shifting then the sloshing isn't too much of an issue IMO. The only time it's really funky is quick turns like slaloms or chicago boxes and if you're pretty fluid with those generally you can keep it all together. With long sweepers you know where your weight is going and you can still transition smoothly.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
thehubster
Focus Addict

So i got to looking at the weather for tomarrow which is going to be my first autocross and it looks like it is going to be raining. though it is texas so it may be like 110 for all the weather man knows. they still run autocross if its raining right. and if it is raining what are some tips to help me out in the rain.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Yes, they still run in the rain, we only pause for thunder storms for cone picker saftey. I would say run the tires a little higher in pressure to open the tread blocks up to help hydroplaning thruogh puddles. There is more grip than you think but ALOT LESS warning when the grip disappears. Start slow. Running in the wet can give a huge education in car control.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 AM   #16
thehubster
Focus Addict

thanks man. but it is texas. its supposed to be raining right now where i am and its not. its perfectly clear out. haha i leave in about 2 hours and i really can't wait.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
thanks man. but it is texas. its supposed to be raining right now where i am and its not. its perfectly clear out. haha i leave in about 2 hours and i really can't wait.
Lucky you. Rained all day for me. The only thing that made the day worth it was the full drift around a second gear sweeper!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #18
thehubster
Focus Addict

well i went to my first autocross today and oh my goodness it was the best day of my life. working wasnt even that bad. i worked the first heat and it gave be a chance to watch and learn alittle. It was really cool. Then i got my car out there. oh my i never new my car could go like that but i must say that my tires are not good for autox. i was squeeling the whole way around. i had one of the guys ride with me and he said that i had good lines but i just wasn't agressive enough. so he set me up with a ride along. It was in a race car. this guy had rebuilt a lancer evo. it was completely stiped on the inside and it had every suspension mod imaginable. that car was a beast. he took off and i couldn't even pick my head of the seat. it was the craziest 46 second ride i have ever taken. and man that dude was an agressive driver. so my next run i get in my car and i pushed it. knocked nearly 3 seconds off my time. The best time i got while i was there was a 54.6. to put it in perspective the evo got a 46. i like my car even more now and i will deffinatly be doing this again. haha.

Here are a few pics of the cars that where there. unfortunatly i didn't get any photos of the car i road in.

this guy was really good and that car is awesome

this thing was awesome. one of the best looking cars out there. but it had to much power and it couldn't hold on to the road.

This guys name was steve and he was a real help though out the day.

So there you go and here is a link to a video of one of my runs. this guy was there and he was just taking videos.

http://www.fullsolo.org/videos/cover...x-john-huberty

hope you enjoy.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
thehubster
Focus Addict

here are a couple of videos of some of the other cars running the course. i was behind the trailer in one section of the track so you can't see the whole thing. but i hope you enjoy.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Good job , thanks for the videos.

Bookmarks & Social Networks