Electrical issue (Radio & Central Locking) HELP!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Lecky
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102721
What I Drive: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec, Blue, 1999

FF Reputation: 1 Lecky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electrical issue (Radio & Central Locking) HELP!!!

Long story short I have had this problem since I bought the car last august but it now a priority to be sorted as the car now tries to lock itself while driving and sometimes succeeds and will be *ed leaving my car running to warm up and locks the keys in the car.

The stereo has never worked until one day it did without doing anything it lasted a couple of days and now does no longer work.
I know now it is not the radio itself.

Central locking will lock with the key so that is fine but will NOT lock with the fob.
It WILL unlock with the fob but any attempt to lock the car with the fob you cant even hear a motor trying or anything.

On extreme cold conditions I have noticed the drivers side electric window buttons will flicker as if there trying to illuminate but only the drivers side all the others light up fine as normal.

Things I have tried:

Key Reprogam: turn 4 times from 2 to 1. wait for the beep then press any button on the fob. FAILED

Checked all fuses FAILED

Checked all relays for swelling FAILED

Checked and changed fuse 63 behind the fuse panel FAILED

Also opened both front door panels to check for any obvious electrical damage and cant see anything.

I do think it is all linked as the radio seems Dead as if its not getting power and so does the Locking side of the central locking but the Unlocking works.

Anybody got any ways to find the culprit or any experience of what to try next?

Cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Lecky
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102721
What I Drive: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec, Blue, 1999

FF Reputation: 1 Lecky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi Guys

Bit of a update on the electrical issue.

Problem found with the Central Locking not locking with the fob. Although I had taken the key apart and cleaned and put in a new battery. I borrowed a multimeter to check the actual fob circuit board and found that there is no continuity on the lock switch.

Just goes to show just cos it looks ok doesnt mean its still working.

Anybody got any ideas whether it can be fixed? Or can you buy the actual circuit board and then just reprogram the key with the above method?

Cheers guys

Bookmarks & Social Networks