Need Mtx-75 rebuild help ASAP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
burkej62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62689
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Zx3 5 speed, air ride.

FF Reputation: 1 burkej62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need Mtx-75 rebuild help ASAP

My tranny just started crunching and cracking thinking my final drive or diff went out finall. I can NOT find a rebuild kit for this damn thing some one please where can I find a rebuild kit for my mechanic to fix this thing. My syncros ere shot anyway .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Honestly its going to be more cost effective to source a new trans. Just the 1st gear synchro for the thing through ford is 150 bucks. And if you have been driving while grinding gears for a while, chances are the gears themselves will have to be replaced as well. If the diff is truly shot, then theres another good chunk.

But here is a decent looking site. You will need to know how big your rear pinion bearing is though to order the correct kit. They sell a bearing kit and bearing kit with synchros. Probably have to call em to find out a price.

http://parts.mackstrans.com/bkits.ph...&bktmake=MTX75
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
burkej62
Focus Enthusiast

In my area buying a whole other tranny is not an option. Unless someone has one in PA close by. This tranny has been around forever I know someone has to know a reliable source for a rebuild kit
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
You don't have junkyards in PA?

That's where I'd go, a transmission shop or just the parts are going to be more than a junkyard transmission. Most yards have 30 day warranties too so you can see if it works. That's actually why I never really took the time to figure out how to rebuild transmissions- the parts are expensive, loads of special tools needed, and I can go get another one for $200 or less.

The main thing about the MTX is you're going to have to make sure that it's the right bellhousing for your engine. I don't think an SPI MTX will bolt up to a Zetec, but surely there's a way to tell the difference- bolt position, # of bolts, etc. Use the money you save on a new clutch, slave cylinder, etc.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
burkej62
Focus Enthusiast

My clutch is brand new. I have quite a few junkyards, very little manual focus and because of the low customer flow everything is marked way up. Farnsworth wants over 400 bucks for their last 5 speed. (with 65k) Plus this is my second used transmission and they have all had a nasty 3rd gear grind that I don't want to deal with again. My cousin was a ford tech and voulunteered to do the rebuild if I supply beer and rebuild kit
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Huh, we have a place in Memphis (trucking hub for East to west coast) that might be able to ship you a transmission for less than $400. They only deal with Ford products.

You can try them at http://www.warfordautoparts.com/, I don't know if they would ship or what it would cost. I wouldn't think a transmission would be more than $200, shipping is uncertain and could be costly, but might be less expensive than a rebuild.

If you really want to rebuild the transmission, as far as I know there's not a kit, you just take it apart and order what you need, but you can ask Mike at Hilbish. Look in our vendor section, and read Mike's sticky posts about calls. Most of the time, the easiest way to get in touch with him is like calling any other dealership- call the main number, ask for parts, then ask for Mike, and be sure to tell him you're an FF member. He's very honest and knows his stuff, if he knows somewhere else you can get the part for less, then he'll tell you.

IF I were you, I'd be checking around everywhere, even if I had to go to Philly or Pitts to find a junkyard it would probably be cheaper than rebuilding an MT- unless it's just one gear or synchro that's screwed up.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
burkej62
Focus Enthusiast

As far as I can tell it's all in the diff, but my 3rd and 4th gear yncros are shot too...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->