08-11 driver side Halo Projector went out - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103345
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 z4nder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
08-11 driver side Halo Projector went out

Hello, I just noticed backing out of drive way that my driver side halo projector started to dim, and turn off leaving just the halo ring and LEDS on. As I was driving I would see it turn back on and shut off or dim. When I got home I got out of the car kinda tapped the headlight to see if movement turns it on and nothing happened. I tried turning my lights on and off and still nothing turned on. I'm wondering if this is a wiring issue? Or just the bulb is faulty. I'm running the bulbs that came with the new projectors which I got back in march. Tomorrow I'm going to take the head light out and see if the bulb shows signs of being faulty and check the wiring. If I happen to need to replace the bulb I mine as well replace the other because they're not too much brighter than stock. What would be a good set of bulbs to go with? I'm hoping anyone with the same head lights will chime in to help, and to see if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks, Alex

Sedan Revolution #287
Tennessee Focus Owner #12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94135
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just grab a set of HIDs. You now have projector lamps so they are legal to run. O got mine from DDM it was like $60 for the set shipped. Took like 3 weeks to get them but they were some of the cheapest that came from an actual retailer. Had them for going on 2 years now haven't had any real issues yet.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah I was thinking about getting a hid kit, do you have high beams with your kit?
Sedan Revolution #287
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94135
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
There's an internal flap that drops the cut off line inside the projector itself. That is wired into the plug that attaches to your stock H13 socket and that's why the projectors use an H9 single filament bulb. Kind of nice, instant on HID high beams.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Alright thanks, I will probably go with the hid kit, could you link me to the kit you have please? I wanna make sure I get the right one.
Sedan Revolution #287
Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4nder View Post
Alright thanks, I will probably go with the hid kit, could you link me to the kit you have please? I wanna make sure I get the right one.
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/D...ast-35W-or-55W

You want a 35W (w is for watts), H9 bulb size, and either 5000K or 6000K bulb color. Also I don't know about anyone else, but I had to bridge two different wires with vampire clips in order to get working high beams. I suspect this is due to the fact that I had a harness for hi/low HIDs because at one point I was running them in the stock housing. Also this picture was taken right before I cleaned all the wiring up for reference. It's much neater and more hidden now.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks, this helps a lot! I haven't gotten a chance yet but when I get home i am going to check my wires and the bulb to see if I just need new bulbs or just need to unplug and plug in the wires again to see if that works. I noticed today the driver side head light still turned on but went off after a few seconds and didn't come back on.

So if it is a bulb I'll need to do modifications to retain high berms with the hid kits?
Sedan Revolution #287
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukttape View Post
Just grab a set of HIDs. You now have projector lamps so they are legal to run. O got mine from DDM it was like $60 for the set shipped. Took like 3 weeks to get them but they were some of the cheapest that came from an actual retailer. Had them for going on 2 years now haven't had any real issues yet.
Technically no it would likely still be illegal to run HID unless they are DOT stamped and approved for them. There is more to it than that but I don't think we need to start that debate here.

Edit: I deleted part of my post because I realized that I misread the OP
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
z4nder
Focus Enthusiast

Alright I got home and found time to get the head light out enough to get the bulb and check wiring. I took some pictures for anyone to see if anything looks wrong. It seems everything is ok, even the bulb. Sorry if the pics are bad.

This part that plugs in the I guess socket for the bulb when plugged in if I press it more together in the socket the light comes on, like it's not tight enough together to keep the light on. What would be recommended to do at this point? I don't believe I actually need new bulbs, but what would be good for keeping the connection tighter?

Sedan Revolution #287
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Sorry to take so long to reply to this. I had a connector where I needed it tighter and I just wrapped one side of the plug (I believe it was the male side) with a few layers of painters tape and that did the trick for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks