How-to.....Make the rear seats livable for your passengers. - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #41
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
^^^^Too much trouble for not enough gain. Not much noise comes from over-head, Plus I don't thing that Eco-Carpet would stick well up-side-down. The time is probable better spent elsewhere in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #42
Wagglyfawn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50988
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Wagglyfawn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmike2485 View Post
It looks good. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time but never figured out the less expensive alternative. I don't know what kind of reduction I'd get with covering the trunk though. I do notice a lot of road noise, especially when it rains, coming from where the seatbelt comes out of. It's like it belts you right in the left ear. Great ideas, keep em coming!
OMG!!!! I'm not the only one!!! When it rains and I'm driving for more than half an hour, that noise makes want to drive my car off a g cliff.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #43
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53658
What I Drive: 2004 Light Tundra SE Wagon (SPI)

FF Reputation: 1 shane_c Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagglyfawn View Post
OMG!!!! I'm not the only one!!! When it rains and I'm driving for more than half an hour, that noise makes want to drive my car off a g cliff.

I was thinking the same thing on the drive in this morning! The roads were wet and now that I've quieted down the road noise from the hatch area I could clearly hear a constant noise in my left ear coming from the driver's seatbelt area. So my plan tonight is to take that apart and put some carpet padding in there and see if it helps any.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #44
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
^^^^Too much trouble for not enough gain. Not much noise comes from over-head, Plus I don't thing that Eco-Carpet would stick well up-side-down. The time is probable better spent elsewhere in the car.
I had a look at it last night and it didn't look too bad on my wagon. There was the rear light and then 2 of those plastic rivets and then the grab handles for the front and back passengers. I figure I wouldn't even have to take those off. If I remove the rear section I'm thinking I should be able to just slide a piece of carpet padding up through the rest.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #45
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

Bluefront,
I have another question. I've put quite a bit of carpet padding in the back of my wagon with great results but can still hear some 'wooshing' air when I'm on the highway, especially when the roads are wet. It would seem the noise is coming from the upper back corner panel that looks like a vent. I popped it off last night to have a look and it seems quite open to the inside of the frame so I'm sure that's the spot but if I'm guessing if I put some carpet padding in there that I may run into some issues with the windows fogging up. Or are they more decorative since there wasn't an actual vent tube or anything running to them?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'm not totally sure what you're referring to.....at the very rear lower corners of the hatch area (behind the side trim), there are vent holes that open up behind the bumper. At the top back there are openings that lead into the cabin. It is essential that there is space enough left between the lower vent and the upper openings.

This venting gives the car some "flow-through" ventilation when you're driving along, or the system is in the "fresh-air" position with the cabin fan going (windows closed). It also makes the doors easier to close. I put carpeting back there, but left plenty of space.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

I have a wagon so I'm not sure if that's any different or not. But in the back corner between the rear hatch window and side window there is a vent. I think I'll pull the panel off and put some carpet padding in there but cut a few slits in it so that air can still flow.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #48
shane_c
Focus Enthusiast

Update... I removed the upper rear corner panel in my wagon and put some carpet padding in there and put 2 holes in the padding for the vent. I found it to really cut down on the sound of "wooshing" air coming from the back.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #49
X-Rated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55237
What I Drive: 03 Tan ZTW

FF Reputation: 4 X-Rated Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
This definitely sounds like a mod I would want to do in my wagon also, but now the question...the tiles that Bluefront and others are talking about and using or getting carpet padding as shane_c is using + also using some spray adhesive to hold it place (all inside the car)

Answers anyone?

Drive it like you stole it!!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
westwood55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95850
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback - Grey

FF Reputation: 1 westwood55 Good Standing Member
Carpet Tile to soften the sound in the Focus Hatchback

The carpet tile to soften the sound in the 2012 Fous Hatchback can be purchased at Home Depot and is called TraficMaster Carpet Tiles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks