How to: remove rear seats w/ pics - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Interior Mods & Upgrades

SVT Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2002-204 SVT Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
sunyfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38913
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3 2.0L DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 sunyfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to: remove rear seats w/ pics

Since I was taking my seats out I thought I'd do a quick how to with pictures.

Time - about 10 minutes

Tools required -
T40 torx socket
T45 torx socket
Socket wrench

Step 1
From inside the car remove the two bolts holding the lower section of the back seat using the T40 socket.

Step 2
Lift up on the backside of the lower seat and remove it from the car

with the lower section out of the car you can replace the two bolts so you don't lose them.

Step 3
Using the T45 socket remove the mounting points for the 3 rear seat belts, middle and both sides.

It is necessary to remove the sides because you have to unloop the shoulder straps on the sides through the elastic, you could skip removing the two sides and just cut the elastic if you wanted to also.

Step 4
Open the hatch and remove the cargo cover by unclipping the strings attached to the hatch lid

Slightly lift up on the cover and pull it toward you, it will pop out now you can lift it up and slide it out.

Step 5
Push in the seat release buttons and flip both sides of the rear seat forward

The back seat should now look like this, with the lower carpet removed.

Step 6
In the middle of the two hinged seats you will see a bolt this holds the middle hinge for the seats.

Using the T40 socket remove this bolt and slide the metal piece it was holding toward the front of the car to remove it.

Step 7
On the left and right sides there are 2 bolts still holding the seats, use the T40 socket to remove them.

Step 8
Lift up on the right side section of the rear seat, with some effort it should pop out of the middle hinge and right hinge

You should now be able to remove this smaller section by pushing it to the side away from the larger seat section.

Pull the larger section out now and replace the bolts in the seat backs so you don't lose them

Replace the piece of metal and bolt in the middle hinge.

And you're done the rear seats are out of the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
kjsoccerdude
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I don't honestly see myself ever doing this, but very nice write up!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
FocusontheZX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64304
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST II

FF Reputation: 5 FocusontheZX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Very good write up... The people who do this though are typically going to take all the brackets out and do a rear seat delete. If you are doing this for some wiring, you can just do step one and remove the bottom seat bench. With that out of the way you have all the access you need to do your wiring.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
ottotroll
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63610
What I Drive: Now -2002 svt.....build #3789

FF Reputation: 4 ottotroll Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
nice write-up....actually, with any luck, I am picking up rear SVT seats to match the fronts I put in in April....
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
bonejob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
Great write-up, but I have a question...

When I am driving, especially on the lunar surface streets of Madison, WI, I hear an infernal squeaking from the rear seat area. Just for kicks, I made my wife ride in the back seat yesterday on our commute to work. MIRACLE!! NO SQUEAKING! As soon as I dropped her off at her job and the rear seat was vacant once more, the squeaking returned. At the end of the day when I picked her up, I made her get in the rear seat again, and once again the squeaking disappeared. This problem seems obvious, right? Something in the rear seat is squeaking, and the weight of a person sitting on the seat stops it.

The trouble is, I have tried everything short of removal and disassembly of the seat to find out what is causing the problem. I tried moving the seat bottom up and down, that hinge does not squeak. Moving each half of the upper, no squeaks there either. Fold the seats down altogether, in cargo mode, squeak is still there. It only goes silent when the seats are up and someone is sitting back there.

Oh, and I thought of the seat belts, too. The reels do not squeak and I even tried fastening the belts with no one in the seat and that did not quiet the squeaking either. The only thing that quiets it is the weight of something substantial - like a human body.

Since you have completely disassembled the seats, I think that qualifies you as an expert on Focus rear seats. WHERE is this squeaking coming from and how can I silence it - short of permanently strapping my wife into the seat and never letting her out?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
SOHCTUNER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62463
What I Drive: 2002 harvest Gold Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 SOHCTUNER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Maby you have mouse in the seat?LOL a Dog toy mouse LOL! also if you do remove the rear seats we typically remove the brakets and all bolts and even the seatbelts and seatbelt buckles. its up to the person if they want a rear seat delet i didnt.

"I think thats the most exciting thing my girlfriends done in her life" Me at last Dez meet after my girlfriend went head on towards a truck and well made it!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
sunyfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38913
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3 2.0L DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 sunyfoci Good Standing Member
I get the squeak sometimes too after ive removed and reinstalled the seats i've determined its coming from the locking latch for the upper seatbacks if you don't bolt the hinges in just right they squeak like crazy, i usually loosen them up if they are squeaking, move them around a bit then tighten them back down and the problem is usually solved
Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
CaptainChaos!
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71253
What I Drive: 2004 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 2 CaptainChaos! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just a thought, but if a squeaky hinge is the issue, perhaps a small dab of wheel bearing grease will shut the thing up. I've done this successfully on door hinges, just don't go crazy with it. A little dab will do ya.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49331
What I Drive: 86 ranger, 2007 focus zx3 s

FF Reputation: 38 pistolgripbmx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Good write up. It seems like a lot of people get confused when it comes to removing the back sections. This should help.
teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
N4niner206
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99796
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 N4niner206 Good Standing Member
Thank you for sharing this!!! Repped.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->