Guidance In replacing TPS - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Zanderone
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64938
What I Drive: 2000 Green Ford Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Zanderone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Guidance In replacing TPS

Hello,

I need to replace the TPS on a DOHC 2000 ford focus wagon.

Is there any comprehensive guide for doing this with text or graphics? I am very inexperienced, but have read through many forums on this.

My concerns:
-reports that new pieces down fit with old Throttle Body.
-unsure about calibrating TPS after installed - I am not sure what this means even or how to do it. I do have a volt meter though so i could with guidance.
-possibility of making problem worse or creating larger problem?

Please help me out with any advice possible!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,965, Level 97
Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, for starters I'm unsure why you think you need a TPS. Typical TPS failure symptoms are rough idle after driving, engine will typically die or come close to sputtering out when coming to a stop, and will pop and sputter on acceleration.

As far as changing the TPS, there's no calibration that I know of on these vehicles. Perhaps checking the calibration to be sure that you have 4v at WOT, but that's all I can think of. Problems like that would not be a bad TPS, but a worn accelerator cable. OK, here's all you need to know to remove the TPS and replace it.

First, unplug the TPS, and remove the screws holding the TPS to the throttle body. The TPS should tilt slightly towards the front of the TB losing it's alignment with the screw holds. If it does not tilt slightly, wiggle it a bit until it does. Note this angle before removing the TPS. You will have to install the new TPS at this angle to be sure that it is properly seated on the throttle plate shaft. People who screw this up line the screw holes up without paying attention to how the TPS was removed. The TPS is slightly sprung when installed correctly.

Push the TPS in flat with the TB at the angle you removed it. You might have to shift it slightly to get it to fit on the shaft. There is no forcing it. If the inside of the TPS is not flush with the TB, then you do not have it aligned correctly. Wiggle it until it slides on completely without force, then tilt the TPS so that it lines up with the screw holes, put the screws in, and plug it up.

I would then (or previous to the repair) remove the neg battery terminal for 10 mins and reset the ECU before driving the car again. I would also allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes after starting which will speed up the re-learning process by resetting the air/fuel ratio. The actual test the ECU does takes 5 minutes after the engine has warmed up out of cold start. I say 10 mins assuming a cold engine. Do not touch the accel during this time.

That's about it, if the TPS was your problem, the that would fix it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Zanderone
Focus Rookie

Thanks so much for the info.

In terms of diagnostic: The check engine light code says the TPS is the problem. I am frequently losing the ability to accelerate as if the transmission is slipping. I notice no rough idle and there is no stalling or sputtering or popping sounds.

As far as finding the TPS i hoped to recognize it after looking at the replacement. My understanding is it is at the back of the motor and I need to remove the air hose that is above it.

Hopefully noting the angle and everything will be apparent once I am in there.

Reseting the ECU: is accomplished by leaving the car unplugged for 10 minutes or is there another step?

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,965, Level 97
Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97 Points: 26,965, Level: 97
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You should check the Focus Fanatics Complete How-To Archive, I'm sure there's a TPS replacement thread in there already for your engine. That should provide you with a tutorial and pics to guide your way.

Trouble code scanners should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to diagnosis. There are different TPS codes. Some for range too low, range too high, no input, etc. For example, the TPS signal goes to the computer, and from that it figures out what you're doing with the gas pedal. Since you have an automatic transmission, this reading also dictates when to upshift. A low TPS reading tells the computer that you're moving at a steady speed and it will upshift as far as it can to increase fuel economy. It also tells it when to downshift for acceleration. Now your problem might be intermittent signals from the TPS which is making the transmission hunt for the right gear. That's a hard one to diagnose and be sure that you're replacing the right part at fault. If you have an electrical tester then turn the key ON, engine OFF, and test the terminals on the TPS with a voltage tester. Between 2 terminals you'll have 12v, between the other 2 you should have 1v with the throttle closed. Now work the throttle by hand and check the voltage with the throttle all the way open (WOT). On older Fords it should be 4v, but I'm not sure about the newer ones. Perhaps someone else can help. Anyway, if you get readings like I described, then you probably don't have a bad TPS, but the problem you do have looks like a bad TPS to the computer.

As a rule, I recommend to people to go over all the things that can be done free or virtually free before spending money on parts. In your case, I'd recommend removing the air intake and cleaning the TB with a rag and carb cleaner as there is black buildup over time around the throttle plate which can cause problems. I'd also consider a new transmission filter. I do not ever consider transmission flushes except in the case that you need to test your transmission pump flow. When you change the filter, you'll change over half the trans fluid anyway if you simply drain the pan. That should take up a whole new thread if you decide to take my advice.

Once again, check the complete how-to archive for pertinent articles. Other FF"s have taken their time to build these How-To descriptions for us, so please use them!! Look at the top of this Forum, or in my signature for a link.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Zanderone
Focus Rookie

Hey Thanks again.

I looked before I posted and there is no article on TPS in the how-to, maybe this is a good start to one.

I will look into your suggestions and then get back to you.

Thanks!

Alex

Bookmarks & Social Networks