lights flickering while driving and battery light turns on - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
aces ST
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56568
What I Drive: 1994 mustang SC / 2004 Excursion

FF Reputation: 2 aces ST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
lights flickering while driving and battery light turns on

so under hard acceleration my headlights and interior lights will flicker like they are about to go out or they just dim, right when i let of the throttle they will go back to normal. Some cases the battery light will turn on for a little bit and then turn back off.

The car still drives fine, starts fine and everything just the flickering. It did sit in storage for seven months while i was deployed. any help thanks

NW POSSE #8
Sedan Revolution #166
ROTM Oct 2009 SOTM Aug 2009
http://www.zazzle.com/aces_st*
Fofo sold..94 mustang GT twin screwed 389whp/393tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator! Don't wait until your stranded to get it checked (auto zone) and change it. I'm 95% sure from the description that it's your alternator, but there is a chance it could be something else.

I'd be surprised to see the alternator go on such a new car, hopefully it's warranty.

If the cause is low battery due to storage, it wouldn't have started without a jump.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
03FocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61785
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
^^^ i am also 95% sure that it is the alternator, get it checked!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Thenicky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64757
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Thenicky Good Standing Member
No Means to thread jack but it falls under same category
But When i come to a stop my lights like to flicker and at idle they dim a little
then when i accelerate i see my Mileage screen get brighter until i come to a stop and or idel. could this also be an altenator
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Thenicky
Focus Enthusiast

on another note. i only started noticing this after i changed my vac lines and reset my ecu.

Sorry to OT but they seemed the nailed your prob with 95%
Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenicky View Post
No Means to thread jack but it falls under same category
But When i come to a stop my lights like to flicker and at idle they dim a little
then when i accelerate i see my Mileage screen get brighter until i come to a stop and or idel. could this also be an altenator
That sounds more like a low-idle problem. When the alternator is spinning too slowly, the voltage is low and the headlights dim. Some dimming of the lights at idle is normal for all cars, but if lights are flickering or too dim you may have a low or rough idle. It is also possible that your alternator could be juuust starting to die on you. It couldn't hurt to get it tested at auto zone, as this is a free test. If you do have a low or rough idle, check your new vac lines for leaks and try cleaning your IAC by spraying carb cleaner into your idle bypass with the engine running.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Thenicky
Focus Enthusiast

IAC is this the same as MAF. Becuase i cleaned the MAF with solvent?
Sorry i dont know what IAC is...

And i replaced the 45 deg and 90 deg as well as cleaned my PCV out and replaced the line going from valve cover to airbox.

I Have the vac diagram and my chiltons but im so new its hard for me to understand by putting the diag with the chiltons... im more a visual learner...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
IAC is this the same as MAF. Becuase i cleaned the MAF with solvent?
Sorry i dont know what IAC is...

And i replaced the 45 deg and 90 deg as well as cleaned my PCV out and replaced the line going from valve cover to airbox.

I Have the vac diagram and my chiltons but im so new its hard for me to understand by putting the diag with the chiltons... im more a visual learner...
Good question. The IAC is not the same as the MAF sensor. It is the Idle Air Control valve, and it is located under the intake manifold. When the throttle is closed (foot off gas) this variable valve controls how much air flows around the throttle into the intake manifold(on a Zetec).

To clean it, remove the hose between your MAF sensor and throttle body. Use carburetor cleaner (not MAF cleaner) and spray it into the throttle bypass several times while the engine is at idle. For extra credit, have your friend shut off the ignition while you are spraying and let it soak for about an hour. If you do this, the engine will die the next time you start it, but will run after that.

Again, some dimming of the lights at idle is normal. While driving the alternator should make about 14 volts, but at idle it's closer to 12 volts and you start to run on your battery. Depending on the severity of your dimming and flickering, you may not have a problem at all.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Thenicky
Focus Enthusiast

I dont have a zetech so i will look into my chilton and see if i can find the IAC. and once i find it clean it with carb cleaner. If all goes well...
But you want me to spray carb cleaner into the throttle bypass? sorry like i said im very new.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I dont have a zetech so i will look into my chilton and see if i can find the IAC. and once i find it clean it with carb cleaner. If all goes well...
But you want me to spray carb cleaner into the throttle bypass? sorry like i said im very new.
yeah, I don't have a pic - and mine's going to look different than yours. When you take the hose off of the throttle body, you will see the throttle plate. If yours looks like mine, there will be a vent beside the throttle plate. This is the passage that the IAC air draws from. Look in your manual for anything related to the throttle body, there should be pictures. I'm not sure if they'd have the exact procedure that I'm describing, but you should be able to make out the orfice that I am describing.

Removing the IAC to clean it will take much longer and may require removal of other parts (i.e. alternator or intake manifold).
Zetec Crew #190

Bookmarks & Social Networks