some ?s and advice before painting - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
bacc231
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1511
What I Drive: 01 lx flat black

FF Reputation: 1 bacc231 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
some ?s and advice before painting

Im gonna start prepin my car for paint in a few days and just need some help and opinions first.

First the rubber molding on the roof, if i take them off can i reuse them or do i have to buy new ones?

Second, the moldings on the doors, should i paint them or just take them off and smooth them out?

i think thats bout it, but if anyone has any ideas or opinions it would def help out.

Hope it works out for me, ill post pics as i go along

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
ilovemyfocus87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59804
What I Drive: 2000 pitch black zx3

FF Reputation: 3 ilovemyfocus87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
nah man i think with those mouldings you have to retape them or just buy new ones and would prob be better to just buy new ones also paint your moulding man if you smooth them out which i never heard of doing unless your painting them doesnt make sense to me and yeah man just paint the mouldings to match the car im gonna be doing the same to mine soon same with the bumper bottoms to match and the mirrors and handles lol and what are you prepping the car with ? hopefully nothing rougher then 400 grit and if you are using a d/a hopefully you are using an interface pad so you keep all your edges nice and round i work in a body shop and ive grown up in the buisness got any questions feel free to ask me bud
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
captcurt_18
Freeskiing Fanatic!

Fan#: 49565
What I Drive: 2005 Light Tundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 26 captcurt_18 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
take off your door mouldings and smooth it out! it looks awesome, and very unique like that
Sedan Revolution Member #120
University of Montana
Photoshop Guru! PM me if you need something chopped up
Give me rep if im helpful!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,353, Level 52
Points: 6,353, Level: 52 Points: 6,353, Level: 52 Points: 6,353, Level: 52
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I painted over my rubber moldings on the roof. Been almost 2 years and not a single issue. You'll notice that on the ends there's little pieces that come off, I'd take those off and then epoxy them back on.

The rubber molding around the windows comes off REAL easy by just pulling on it, but I think you need to take the b-pillar skin off first.

I would just leave the moldings on the door on and paint them just like that. BUT, make sure to use an air compressor to get all the moisture out from when you're done wet-sanding. That goes for behind the bottom of the hatch glass as well. I had some bad lifting because of the moister there.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
ilovemyfocus87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59804
What I Drive: 2000 pitch black zx3

FF Reputation: 3 ilovemyfocus87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i would take all the trim off which is.... handles,side mouldings,door trim,rockers,belt mouldings, trim around the inner and outer of the doors/hatch the back hatch moulding, everything overhaul the car man and take the damn roof mouldings off dont be a hack !
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
^ I agrre. Plus painting the door moldings on the car will never look right, and wil not give you the quality result I'm sure you want.
They are only held on by tape, I would try to remove them, and if they are not mangled by removal sand them down smooth and paint them. On the other hand, if it were me, I would sand and paint them, but leave them off for a while, you know, just to see how it looks without any moldings at all.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
bacc231
Focus Addict

yea i think im gonna smooth out the doors, make it nice and clean.

looks like i gotta wait another week or two tho, money got real tight real fast
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
bacc231
Focus Addict

hey dont buy cheap paint online.
guy told me it was a one step apint that didnt need anything added to it, i sprayed it 5 days ago and it wont get hard.
had a paint guy come look at it and he laughed at the crappy paint. now im out 50 bucks for the paint and a bunch of time prepping it.

o well lesson learned.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
jasper46
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65470
What I Drive: .........

FF Reputation: 3 jasper46 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockSVT View Post
^ I agrre. Plus painting the door moldings on the car will never look right, and wil not give you the quality result I'm sure you want.
They are only held on by tape, I would try to remove them, and if they are not mangled by removal sand them down smooth and paint them. On the other hand, if it were me, I would sand and paint them, but leave them off for a while, you know, just to see how it looks without any moldings at all.
Use a bondo spreader to remove door moldings, start with bottom or top strip of tape. (trying to get both off at one time is too hard on the spreader) push with your middle finger on the fat edge of the spreader and your index finger on the front of the spreader. use your other hand to grasp the bottom of the spreader and guide it along under the molding. (don't just pull the molding away from the car, it will crease the plastic) i promise you will not damage the car or the molding if you use this technique!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.