New '09 Focus, or a Fusion? Opinions! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Hotniks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62959
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE 2010 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Hotniks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question New '09 Focus, or a Fusion? Opinions!

So, browsing the lot of one of the local Ford dealerships today, I stumbled on an '09 Fusion they are trying to unload to make room for their 2010's.

It's nicely equiped, sticker is at $21,300. They're offering a $3500 rebate, which takes it down to $17,800. Then they offerred me $3600 for my Focus on a trade in, which is pretty reasonable according to nada.com. So I'd be looking at $14,200 + tax, less anything else I put down. Only downside is I do a healthy amount of highway commuting, so the mileage isn't fantastic at the 28mpg estimate. With 1.9% financing I'd be looking at something around $250 a month for a new Fusion.

Or, another local dealer has about 15 or so 2009 Focus's left to choose from. A couple of which are fully loaded for around $18,500. I didn't see what rebates they had, but being they are '09's, I'm sure I could knock off some of that. Then subtract my trade it, I could easily be in the $13,000 range for a new Focus. Obviously, I'd be getting better mpg with the Focus as well.

Opinions?

Of course I should follow up by saying I don't NEED a new car, I just figured with the way things are, it might be a good time for a good deal. I could very well hang onto my money and stick onto my '02 Focus until I run 'er into the ground. I am interested in seeing the new 2011 Fiesta when it comes out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The Fusion is fun just 'cause it has optional AWD! =)

Did you test drive both?
L.O.T.H. #9
Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Hotniks
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland07 View Post
The Fusion is fun just 'cause it has optional AWD! =)

Did you test drive both?
Nah, the Fusion was in the showroom. They said they could take it out first thing Monday for me, so I'll probably go back Monday after work and take it for a spin.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Foxtrot685

Fan#: 61209
What I Drive: 2008 black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Foxtrot685 Good Standing Member
^^^ ive never heard of a car dealer saying "sorry we cant move the car for you, the potential customer/purchaser, until monday. sorry." not saying it didnt happen, but i dont think i would be doing business with that dealer if they cant even move a car for me...

if you dont need the room, i would go for the focus. the 5 speed gets some amazing highway and city fuel economy numbers for sure! but if you dont need one now, why not hold out and see what ford has up its sleeve with the fiesta. by the time it hits dealer showrooms, we should be seeing some focus sketches/concepts in next years auto show circuit :)
Old 05-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Hotniks
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot685 View Post
^^^ ive never heard of a car dealer saying "sorry we cant move the car for you, the potential customer/purchaser, until monday. sorry." not saying it didnt happen, but i dont think i would be doing business with that dealer if they cant even move a car for me...

if you dont need the room, i would go for the focus. the 5 speed gets some amazing highway and city fuel economy numbers for sure! but if you dont need one now, why not hold out and see what ford has up its sleeve with the fiesta. by the time it hits dealer showrooms, we should be seeing some focus sketches/concepts in next years auto show circuit :)
I should have added they would have taken it out for me, no quesiton. I was kinda in a rush to get out of there though and didn't want to wait. I actually was planning on just driving through the lot and leaving, but I got deverted of course
Old 05-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Foxtrot685

Fan#: 61209
What I Drive: 2008 black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Foxtrot685 Good Standing Member
ahh... now that makes more sense! lol
Old 05-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot685 View Post

yea , i went to a hyundai dealer when i was 16 , i didnt have a license and they took a brand new accent out of the showroom and let me drive it around the lot for a while.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
I say get the focus if your going for a new car, I would say get a fusion if you were going for a V6 version, the 2.3 4cyl isnt great and barely adequate. But really you should wait if you wanna see what the 2011 fiesta is like or the next Focus.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The Fusion and the Focus are two vastly different vehicles. I know, I have both. Be aware that the Fusion is the same size as the Gen IV Taurus (which I also have) and is a much larger car than the Focus.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Granted that both cars are great cars it all boils down to what you need to use the car for. If you are looking for a great family car the Fusion would make more sense with more room in the back. But if you are looking for something as a weekend tosser and battle driven vehicle (daily driver) the Focus makes sense for it's fuel economy ratings and reliability. It all depends on what you are looking for. Why wait for a Fiesta? Blah, they are decent cars but the waiting list on them is going to be phenomanol and you will regret waiting that long for such a small car with a bit of pep. If you think the Focus is small step into one of those midget mobiles. Clowns would even have a hard time packing into one of those cars. I have driven and rode in many Fiestas from 94-05 models and just don't really care for them to much. They are really tiny and you feel as if you're in a grape just waiting to be squished. The reason they are popular around Europe is because the gas prices there are nearly double what they are here in some places and they are a cheaper vehicle to own and insure as well. Plus you don't have as many SUV's bearing down on you on the highway. Actually driving one reminded me of those little battery powered power wheels cars that your young son or daughter would drive around the yard. Fun as hell to drive around but scary as hell out on the highway when everything is twice your size lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks