Full-recline mod to stock seats.....56k friendly. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The mod worked!!!!! Total cost $0......even better. Total time not including contemplation....maybe five minutes. Simple enough most of you could do it in your driveway, without even removing the seat.

I simply drilled out the single pin.....used a #2 drill bit. Mask the area so the metal doesn't get in the seat track, and put a flat piece of metal behind the hole so you don't drill into the seat cushion.

If you drill right, you'll go through the center of the pin, and out the other side. Pry out the hollowed out pin. You can see the top of the toothed "J" bracket which no longer has a stop-pin to prevent reclining.

With the head-rest removed, and the seat pushed forward.....here's what it looks like. Unfortunately the seat-back is too tall to recline completely.....it rests against the edge of the rear seat bottom when fully reclined.

As I thought might happen.....the teeth on the "J" bracket don't go down far enough to lock the seat back when fully reclined. But you can recline and lock the seat back maybe 30 degrees further than stock.

What I didn't expect......with the seat fully back and reclined, it makes a very nice sleeping surface. All you need is a pillow. The seat back is supported by the bottom of the rear seat cushion. (In the photos my rear seat bottom is removed and replaced with a thin pad, covered with vinyl).

I'm still wondering if I should make something to lock the seatback fully reclined. Right now it will spring up without any weight on it.....but it will only go so far till it locks. When you're laying on it, you don't notice a thing.

Another nice part of this mod....if you don't like it when you're done, you could replace the drilled-out pin with a small bolt and a loc-nut. Back to stock. With this seat mod completed, you won't notice a single thing different.......except your seat will now recline. You could do this mod to the driver seat also, but the steering wheel may hit your knee if you try to recline fully.

Happy modding.

I think this may be a completely original mod on a Focus.....be the second on the block to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Photobucket is screwed up today...the pictures aren't showing yet.

Fixed now..
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Here's the quick/easy to hold the seat-back fully reclined. I ran an 8mmx.125 bolt into the unused rear seat hing hole (sticking out about 2"). Then I bent the ends of an adjustable strap slightly. It works.....since is will be used only occasionally, it doesn't have to be too fancy.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Little update to this project......I was painting the seat trim piece while I was working on the seat. Well I found out I had to trim the inner edge slightly, at the point the toothed "J" arm now goes up further than stock. Here's what it looks like now with the trim back on. Takes only a few minutes extra.

And while I was painting the driver side trim, I did this mod to that side also. Glad I did. Now if you get tired driving, you can pull over somewhere and rest awhile, even if you have a passenger. A safety mod.......
Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

I got a chance to test out the carrying capacity of this recline mod.....that's a 7' long piece of molding in there......without even reclining the rear seat back. Measuring....there's enough room left that it looks like you could carry at least six (maybe more) 8' 2x4s in the same spot. This is exactly what I was hoping for....

Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49331
What I Drive: 86 ranger, 2007 focus zx3 s

FF Reputation: 38 pistolgripbmx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
nice, gotta bust out my drill!
teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #17
Xornok
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61963
What I Drive: 2013 IS Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 1 Xornok Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bluefront, you are easily my favorite person on this site.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Thanks...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #19
FocusedEnergy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48574
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Gray ZX4SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusedEnergy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Nice write-up. I had heard of someone doing this before on this site (sorry) but I'm too lazy to find it here. This should go into the how-to archive.
SEDAN REVOLUTION #51
The tighter the budget, the slower the mod progress. Estimated completion date: September 2057
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #20
ChuckDee
Ehh...

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: 02 SC SVT

Points 17,687, Level 84
Points: 17,687, Level: 84 Points: 17,687, Level: 84 Points: 17,687, Level: 84
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
^^^i agree, i wanna try and do this mod also .

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.