INDash DVD / GPS Parking Brake Wire - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
tommyis3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60620
What I Drive: 2000

FF Reputation: 1 tommyis3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
INDash DVD / GPS Parking Brake Wire

I know this sort of question has been asked before and I did use the search button but I cant find what i`m looking for.

My son has a 2000 ZX3 and has just bought himself an in dash dvd / gps unit, he wants me to bypass the e-brake wire, but I do not want to do this, I want him NOT to be able to watch DVD`s whilst he`s driving, so what I need to know is where is the easiest place to get to the parking brake wire, and what colour is it, I dont really want to take the brake console apart, so is there any other way to get to this wire, what about tapping into the parking brake light in the dash would that work.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The easiest way.....remove the consul. The wire is exposed at that point. From there it goes into the main harness, up to the dash, etc. Tapping into the harness under the dash would be a PITA.

Tell you what though....your own kid may not know how to bypass that safety feature, but I'm sure his buddies do. Tell him if you find out the DVD player works while driving, he'll lose his car (or something equally drastic).

Kids get killed driving crazy, driving drunk, using a cell-phone.....no sense adding another way to die.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
selfguided
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49057
What I Drive: SVT3

FF Reputation: 4 selfguided Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
^
x
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Richard_Nixon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63870
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Richard_Nixon Good Standing Member
I agree, the easiest is to go right from the parking brake itself.

Why is he not installing this himself? If he is getting you to install it because he dosent know how, you get to make the decision on how to wire it up.

I dont even think I would let my kid get a headunit like that. Changing CDs and fiddleing around with a normal deck is distraction enough.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
jhurst747
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63743
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jhurst747 Good Standing Member
I have to agree with Richard_Nixson on this one. My kids will be priv'd like me in getting an ultra-crappy car until they can purchase stuff on their own.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
tommyis3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60620
What I Drive: 2000

FF Reputation: 1 tommyis3 Good Standing Member
Thanks for all you help guys, when I say my kid, he`s not really a kid he`s like 20, nearly 21, but they never stop being your kids do they!! But still if it was up to me he wouldn't have it in his car, but if I didn't install it he would just get one of his buddies to do it and you are right, i`m sure that they would know how to bypass the e-bake, that's why i said i would do it.

Thanks once again
Old 04-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Richard_Nixon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63870
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Richard_Nixon Good Standing Member
Haha, well don't worry. Im sure one of those buddies, will tell other "buddies" about his new stereo and it will be gone in a few months. HaHa.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
jhurst747
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63743
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jhurst747 Good Standing Member
At least you take a very active roll in your son's life. It's a great way to spend time together while monitoring the situation. While you're at it, install a GPS and a remote kill switch! haha
Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
rosefocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48647
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 rosefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
so I WANT to bypass the e-brake wire on my clarion vz309, but every time I search the forum the word "dvd" is omitted from the search because it is too common... anyone have a link for me pwuueezzz?
Sold: 2002 SVT 2dr w/ CFM STS, Magnaflow Catback, K&N HiFlow SR Intake, Wrapped Header, FRPP Suspension Kit w/ 22/25mm Swaybars, Thundervolt 8.2mm Plug Wires, Big3 Grounding, Rear VF Eng. Motor Mount, FS Front and Rear Strut bars, CM Stage 1 Clutch
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
daidie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70867
What I Drive: 2003 maroon red 3 dr hatchback(zx3)

FF Reputation: 7 daidie Good Standing Member
all you have to do is send the ebrake wire to earth. mine is earthed to my earth wire on my radio. simple

have you repped someone helpful today

Bookmarks & Social Networks