How do I reset the check engine light? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
babzog

Fan#:
How do I reset the check engine light?

Hey folks,

Car is an '02 Focus SE Wagon, Zetec engine. It's been seeing less use these days as we're trying to sell it. When I took it for a trip to work last week, the CEL came on. Dealer said they couldn't just read the code, that they'd have to diagnose it, road test it, yadda yadda. At least $110 just to tell me what is wrong. He said if the car is running alright (which it is) and the gas and oil are full (oil was fine and I'd just filled the gas that morning as it was quite low), then just drive it and see if it goes away (it hasn't).

Question: I would like to just reset it and see if it comes back. Is there a "pushing buttons" trick to reset the light or do I have to disconnect the battery?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,550, Level 75
Points: 13,550, Level: 75 Points: 13,550, Level: 75 Points: 13,550, Level: 75
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
an auto parts store should be able to read the code for you for free, call around to find out.

you can disconnect the negative side of your battery for 15-20 min and that will reset the CEL but that wont prevent it from coming back.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
substanger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63761
What I Drive: 2003 Focus/1993 Mustang 'vert 5.0

FF Reputation: 3 substanger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
an auto parts store should be able to read the code for you for free, call around to find out.

you can disconnect the negative side of your battery for 15-20 min and that will reset the CEL but that wont prevent it from coming back.
Actually disconnecting the battery for 1-2 minutes will suffice. The PCM has what is called KAM or keep alive memory powered by the battery. Once battery power is removed, the KAM is erased.
2003 Focus. Former U.S. Navy Submariner-13 yrs. 2nd career-Ford driveability tech-8 yrs. 3rd career-vehicle service contract mechanical claims adjuster for Zurich North America (aftermarket warranty) and U.S. Air Force reservist.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
justjake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60533
What I Drive: 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 7 justjake Good Standing Member
^^^in order to reset the KAM you actually have to hold the positive and negative terminals together so oit will discharge the li'l bit of energy left to support the KAM. Once you do that you'll have to go through a relearn strategy (drive it about 50 miles).

The other option since you'll want to go to the parts store and have the codes read (scanner) the scanner will have an option to clear the codes, Just select that and the light will magically disapear until it's triggered again.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Points 2,010, Level 27
Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
You'll want to get that code read, it's good information to have. There's no reason to reset it if you haven't fixed the cause.

Don't hold the + and - leads together unless both are disconnected! Holding the leads together is not necessary for resetting the ECM's memory. You'll know if it's reset properly if the first time you turn the key on after reconnecting the battery, the speedo & tac go to max for 1 second, then back to 0(at least on my Zetec).

Like I said, don't reset it until you get the code read. Autozone will do it for free. Dealerships always rip you off, there is no exception.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
substanger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63761
What I Drive: 2003 Focus/1993 Mustang 'vert 5.0

FF Reputation: 3 substanger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallieConGoggle View Post
Dealerships always rip you off, there is no exception.
Sorry to the OP for the hyjack, but what experience/knowlege do you base this on?
2003 Focus. Former U.S. Navy Submariner-13 yrs. 2nd career-Ford driveability tech-8 yrs. 3rd career-vehicle service contract mechanical claims adjuster for Zurich North America (aftermarket warranty) and U.S. Air Force reservist.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Dealerships always rip you off, there is no exception.

I understand your point; however, I think it would be more accurate to say "Most dealerships usually rip you off, but there are some exceptions."
Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
babzog

Fan#:
Quote:
Like I said, don't reset it until you get the code read. Autozone will do it for free. Dealerships always rip you off, there is no exception.
I reset the code today while checking the tire pressures. There is/was no reason for a code to "magically" show up so I figured I'll reset it and see if it comes back. After driving 20km, it hadn't reappeared so I'm sure it was nothing of consequence (the car was running fine while the light was on).

It's at my BIL's shop now where there is much greater public exposure to help sell it. He was telling me that many of the codes that are set are checked at intervals. Some of those intervals could be every engine start, some could be every 1000km, in which case, whatever code was set could have been cleared soon enough on its own.

Anyway, apparently he has a reader (didn't think to ask since his is a bike shop) so if it reappears, he'll check it then.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

Points 2,010, Level 27
Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27 Points: 2,010, Level: 27
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I understand your point; however, I think it would be more accurate to say "Most dealerships usually rip you off, but there are some exceptions."
That's probably fair, I've just never gone to the dealership that was the exception.

I found two receipts in my glove box for the EXACT same service, one from Ford, one from Meineke.

Cost:
Meineke: $30
Ford: $136

I needed to have my AC checked to see where the leak was. Ford charged me for refrigerant to do the test, and when I asked why he acted like you can't do a leak check without it!

Ford told me that there was a leak, Meineke told me that it was in the condenser. Bottom line: anything George Forman sells is awesome.

Just one example of many, and it's pretty frustrating after awhile.

Want more? I once broke a wheel bearing... ok make that 3 times I've broken wheel bearings (MI roads suck).

Ford: $530
some brake shop: $250
did it myself: $58

I know that there are some good ones out there, but getting ripped off really pisses most of us off. It's not like I've never been ripped off by non-dealership mechanics either.

Peace
Zetec Crew #190
Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Again, I get your point and rarely use a dealer myself, but to be fair, here' my experience with a 1992 Taurus A/C repair for a rusted-out line with a recharge.

Cost $520

Period before A/C compressor seized: 12 months.

Amount of oil in the compressor after seizing: 0

Amount of freon in the system after seizing: full charge.

Obviously when Midas "fixed" it they did not put any oil in the system.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.