First time @ track... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
SVOrange
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63725
What I Drive: 2004 Competition Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 3 SVOrange Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First time @ track...

Well I wanted to get a baseline before I start really modding, so I went to my local dragstrip. Elevation is around 400 ft. Keep in mind I am learning this car and had NO idea what the best method of launch was. I have standard all season 60k mile tires. BTW, rather than making you search for constancy, I will tell you my number is 223F.

The first pass I tried what I always do when performance driving any car. Needless to say, it didnt work. I revved to 2000 RPM and tried a combo of slip and added gas. I dont know if this is due to the dual mass flywheel or a clutch that has 82k on it, but it slipped ALL the way through first even after I dropped off the gas. Here is the time slip.

By fiveohwblow

The second pass I just tried to idle off to cure the slipping. This worked, but produced turtle 60 ft times and crossed the line with a 16.1. Here is that slip.

By fiveohwblow

Now, after I was turning around to collect my slip I stopped while no one was around and tried a 2k side step. SOB it worked!!!! I thought since when I feathered it and it slipped it would be worse with a side step but it wasnt. This left me with my third run. I tried a 2.5k side step but was so distracted I took FOREVER to take off and once I did I got a chirp chirp BOG.. Not enough, but here is the time slip.

By fiveohwblow

The last run of the night I tried a 3300k side step. It hooked immediately but only "sort of" it felt as though I was scratching the tires but truly my clutch didnt like that launch too much. Although I slipped the entire way I would only say at a rate of about 30% which is detrimental to 60 ft times, but helped my overall time. I was rewarded with my best time and decided to call it quits. Here is that time slip.

By fiveohwblow

So my question is, would a new clutch and flywheel enable me to feather the clutch and add gas from the line in the future or is this the doomed SVT behavior? As an FYI, I have tried every way known to me to test this clutch and it does NOT slip anywhere else, just on hard launch.

Thanks!!

The SVT Focus- Fords best kept secret
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,659, Level 78
Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
not bad at all. all the tracks around here are 1/8th mile tracks and you are getting about what i was with bolt ons. a new clutch and light flywheel will help you alot on the launch. also you should look into getting limited slip differential if you are getting the tranny dropped for clutch. you might spend a little extra cash but you wont regret it. your 60ft times will drop to around 2.2-2.0 with LSD and decent street tires. put DR's and dump the clutch at about 5000 and you are looking at sub 2 sec 60ft times easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,634, Level 78
Points: 14,634, Level: 78 Points: 14,634, Level: 78 Points: 14,634, Level: 78
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
does your car have traction control by chance?
And yes, it does sound like your clutch is about to end it's life... or your trannys if it decides to explode.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
SVOrange
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
does your car have traction control by chance?
And yes, it does sound like your clutch is about to end it's life... or your trannys if it decides to explode.
Lol my tranny is in pretty good shape, but I cant say so much for my 5.0

It does have traction control but I disengaged it and it effectively is disengaged thanks to Toms tune.

The odd thing is in my experience the clutch usually will slip while going down the road lugging it in say 5th or 6th at lower speeds such as 50 or so. Mine does not do this and grips all the way through first if I dont feather the clutch, just leave like I would from a stop sign.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
SVOrange
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
not bad at all. all the tracks around here are 1/8th mile tracks and you are getting about what i was with bolt ons. a new clutch and light flywheel will help you alot on the launch. also you should look into getting limited slip differential if you are getting the tranny dropped for clutch. you might spend a little extra cash but you wont regret it. your 60ft times will drop to around 2.2-2.0 with LSD and decent street tires. put DR's and dump the clutch at about 5000 and you are looking at sub 2 sec 60ft times easy
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,026, Level 100
Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I trick I use to do is hold the ebrake on hard why slipping the clutch then release both at the same time , this loads the car and takes the shock out that causes the most damage to things but is rough on the clutch if done for long times , I would do it when i saw all stage lights

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
SVOrange
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I trick I use to do is hold the ebrake on hard why slipping the clutch then release both at the same time , this loads the car and takes the shock out that causes the most damage to things but is rough on the clutch if done for long times , I would do it when i saw all stage lights

Tom
Awesome thanks! I will give it a shot next time I go
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
B3NN3TT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64245
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

Points 1,244, Level 19
Points: 1,244, Level: 19 Points: 1,244, Level: 19 Points: 1,244, Level: 19
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 B3NN3TT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have found that in cars like these, making less than 200 horsepower, feathering the clutch is a huge waste of time. A nice quick clutch dump (I don't like to side-step) gets your power down best, obviously, and with the least amount of damage.

The SCIENCE of it is finding the perfect launch RPM. If you launch at too high an RPM, you get too much wheelspin, or worse, wheel hop. Too low, and it bogs. You want to split the difference between bogging and spinning. It sometimes takes a few runs to figure out where the "sweet pot" is for launch. And it's different for every track.
2003 SVT #2370 • Hatch Nation #91 • 2000 Roush Cougar • 2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,659, Level 78
Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
oh Tom you really are a mad scientist. im so trying that next time i go to the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
SVOrange
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
I have found that in cars like these, making less than 200 horsepower, feathering the clutch is a huge waste of time. A nice quick clutch dump (I don't like to side-step) gets your power down best, obviously, and with the least amount of damage.

The SCIENCE of it is finding the perfect launch RPM. If you launch at too high an RPM, you get too much wheelspin, or worse, wheel hop. Too low, and it bogs. You want to split the difference between bogging and spinning. It sometimes takes a few runs to figure out where the "sweet pot" is for launch. And it's different for every track.
I agree and normally that is what I would be doing. Unfortunately when I tried to do that the clutch just spun 2k launch with VERY LIGHT feathering wasnt working. Pissed me off to say the least and this is why I think my times suffered. New clutch and I wouldnt side step. To be honest, the third run is the only one I did side step, the fourth I did just dump it but that led to clutch spin again. All well, looks like I was average with a horrible clutch and will be above average with a functional clutch.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.