My SVT vs. GTI VR6 - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #21
turbocro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3688
What I Drive: 2k2 vw gti

FF Reputation: 1 turbocro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by soniczx3fokis
yeah youre right, but that suspension can be acheived by a few good mods, right?
yes and no, the focus suspension is more advanced at it is truly independent in the rear.

To cope with this you have to add a stiff sway bar, stiff shocks and sturs (all linear) and dial in about 1,5 degrees of camber (all you can get without cutting off the tops of the struts). you will handle possibly even better than an SVT Focus, but at the expense of any kind of ride quality - do the same mods to the Focus and the Focus will be ahead (but only suspension wise).

I dunno, i'd rather have a better suspension than hp - but its all about preference

As far as the r32 goes, it;s a great lil ride- but overpriced for the performance you get out of it - awd is great off the line and for drifintg around in the snow, but on the track it still has no impact on grip and no change in suspension geometry -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 PM   #22
turbocro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
I once got my ass handed to me by what appeared to be a modded GTI 1.8t - he obviously had an exhaust, he had debadged the hatch, etc, but I only know what I could see since he left me so fast I couldn't even catch up to ask what he had done to it. To be fair though he did get the jump on me, I had no idea he was going to gun it when the light changed, but I guess he wanted to see what an SVT could do... I sure embarrassed myself on that one.
watch out for those as they are very quick in a straight line, but 99% of these guys ride coilovers which make them handle worse - so wait till the twisties come up and laugh away - but beware of the one that have an inverted rake (aka pop a wheelie look) - they are running a shine suspension (actually makes the car handle better)
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #23
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I miss my VWs...and Waterfest
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 PM   #24
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by turbocro
watch out for those as they are very quick in a straight line, but 99% of these guys ride coilovers which make them handle worse - so wait till the twisties come up and laugh away - but beware of the one that have an inverted rake (aka pop a wheelie look) - they are running a shine suspension (actually makes the car handle better)
Ha, really? When I see a car with that stance my first thought is usually "man, they must have something really heavy in there." I guess if I see any GTI's that look loaded down with bags of cement I better watch out.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #25
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by turbocro
makes me wonder how well my car would handle with springs instead of coilovers. I can take corners quite a bit quicker than Jessicas SVT

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 PM   #26
turbocro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicHatch+SVT-F
makes me wonder how well my car would handle with springs instead of coilovers. I can take corners quite a bit quicker than Jessicas SVT
it all depends on suspension goemetry - on the Gti using the old school machpherson setup - a car dropped more than .5-.75" will have unparallel control arms resulting in less suspension motion through turns and more understeer

and for the record - Waterfest was lame this year
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #27
2fast4u
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2375
What I Drive: ZX-3 gone, now 05 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 2fast4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
one of close friends has a gti 1.8t, and that is wicked fast, he put a short throw, blow off valva, and an intake, and now finished chipping it. the car is putting down more than 200 hp....i raced him with my zx-3 and ona str8 takes me, but i have to say handling wise through traffic i beat him everytime,,,,,,vr6 are fast but 1.8t are lighter and better for modding,,,i would take the 1.8 anniversary editon over the r32 any day. too much much money for that thing and only 250 hp,,,300 hp then maybe i would consider it
Old 07-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #28
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Yeah, the anniversary edition, I'm not real up to speed on my VW tech, but I have to say that is a REALLY nice looking car. I just love the look of it, right down to the retro "Rabbit" badges.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #29
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
Look at the R32 from a tuning aspect though. This is a small little hatch that has the potential to be putting down 600AWHP and still be a daily driver.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
YellowSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10395
What I Drive: 2004 Screamin Yellow ZX5 SVT Euro

FF Reputation: 1 YellowSVT Good Standing Member
yeah get the r32 and get a twin turbo installed, youll be able to outrun ferraris and porsches. were talkin like 3.3-4 second 0-60, that would be sweet.

Current Installations: FC 65mm TB, Steeda Short Ram Intake, 5% Tint on all windows.

Future Installations: Steeda Short Throw, Upgraded Headers, ORP, Maybe some various other Mods, any suggestions?

I FREAKIN' HATE IMPORTS!!!

PAPA ROACH'S NEW CD "GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER" IN STORES 8/31

Bookmarks & Social Networks