Door Lock Broken? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
kavolier
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64446
What I Drive: 05 White ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 kavolier Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Door Lock Broken?

Hi guys, bear with me I'm new, so I'm not sure if this exact problem was posted anywhere else. I did a quick search but didn't see anything.

I have a 05 ZXW SE. I discovered today that my rear driver door lock does not lock - does not move actually. All the other doors are fine (they work with the key fob or the lock button). If you try to push the button locked manually - it won't push locked either. I have no idea how long its been like this and of course I find out the day before I have to leave for a business trip and will have to leave it at the airport for 4 days. Lucky me.

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to what the problem is? Can I fix it myself (with some of husband's help)? How much will it cost? And is there somewhere I can get really really good instructions on all of the above? (I am a diagram person.)

Any help is so greatly appreciated - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
kavolier
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64446
What I Drive: 05 White ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 kavolier Good Standing Member
Bump!

Really, no one has any idea where to get started trying to solve this??

The other 3 locks and the trunk are OK. Is it mechanical? Electrical?

Should I just take it to the dealership?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
egburtus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 65013
What I Drive: 04 glacier blue wagon German build

FF Reputation: 1 egburtus Good Standing Member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavolier View Post
Bump!

Really, no one has any idea where to get started trying to solve this??

The other 3 locks and the trunk are OK. Is it mechanical? Electrical?

Should I just take it to the dealership?

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have the same problem with my rear passenger door. The lock button moves freely in with the handle when I open the door, toward the "unlock" position, but cannot be pushed or actuated with the remote. It did the same thing about a year ago, and to the best of my memory, I just forced the button into the lock position. It worked fine until about a week ago. I tried pushing it, with no luck. Obviously, something is bound up inside the door. I tried removing the door panel, but got stuck with the window crank. Can't figure out how to remove it without breaking it. Anyone out there know how to fix this, or keep it from happening again?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,247, Level 93
Points: 23,247, Level: 93 Points: 23,247, Level: 93 Points: 23,247, Level: 93
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hmm well I have the same trouble.....I think. My right rear door will lock alright if I press it manually, but with the remote it will not....it makes that really annoying loud motor sound.

I had my shop teacher look at it and he says the motor/actuator itself has likely been stripped, and I'd need to get a new one. Only problem is if you do buy a new one, it comes with the door latch as well, which means more cost.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
From the description it probably is a bad actuator..... and it does come with the latch. They cost around $140, from the dealer.

As to installing it yourself.......not a job for a beginner. You'll get in over your head in a minute or so.

My driver door actuator/latch broke under warranty. The Ford mechanic who was doing the job, broke some linkage pieces during the installation. I was waiting....they ended up giving me a free rental car for two days.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Happenedtoyou
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11169
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX5 with SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Happenedtoyou Good Standing Member
Door Lock

Good News and Bad News...

Good news is you probably don't need a new lock cause it an easy fix... but the bad news is, it is a bitch to take the whole thing apart.

I had the SAME exact problem on the SAME exact door, only on my zx5. You need to get the actual electronic mechanism out, in your hand, away from the door. Take that apart till you see the wheel in there and the motor, and make sure it moves freely. I did this, and what seemed to happen is that the gears jumped a step.. and they need to be put back literally. I fixed it, and it works now.. FORD wanted to charge me 50$ to check it out, and probably would of charged me over $100 to get a new lock..

It took me an hour to fix it with the help of my roomie.

Good enough?

SPZ
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
maestro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76258
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 maestro Good Standing Member
Question How to fix this?

I seem to have the same problem with a European 2000-2005 Focus. My rear door would not lock and the lock button on the door would not press in to lock. The central lock would not work either.
Any new advice on that? I couldn't find anything better than this thread.
I managed to take apart the door's panel & insulation and then to unscrew the lock itself, but I didn't manage taking the lock mechanism out as it's attached to the outside handle and it's too difficult seeing what's inside the door's body.
I'm afraid a mechanic would just replace the whole assembly for too much $$$.
It can't be something requiring a reset, can it?
Any advice on how to take the lock out or otherwise fix this? Maybe schemes of how things look inside the door?

Thanks in advance for any idea!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,958, Level 63
Points: 8,958, Level: 63 Points: 8,958, Level: 63 Points: 8,958, Level: 63
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
FWIW - try spray lube on mechanism first, rear door TSB on my '04 to do this to prevent such problems, and just a good general practice anyways...
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
maestro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76258
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 maestro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
FWIW - try spray lube on mechanism first, rear door TSB on my '04 to do this to prevent such problems, and just a good general practice anyways...
Thanks sailor.
I did use WD-40, although I later read someone recommending against this one.
It never got tough to lock tho. It went straight to impossible.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,958, Level 63
Points: 8,958, Level: 63 Points: 8,958, Level: 63 Points: 8,958, Level: 63
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Ah well, never hurts to try - spray penetrating grease for general maint. is the ticket - WD-40 as you tried to free up something that's already not working well.

Sometimes the problem with not locking is that it isn't fully latching, preventing the lock mechanism from working - normal operation as it won't lock when not fully latched...

So lubing then cycling mechanism by opening and closing a number of times would be the trick to be sure the "simple" fix isn't all you need.

Sounds like your problem is deeper, but this works for some with less of a problem..

Bookmarks & Social Networks