Stealth CAI--What to expect and what NOT to do. - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #31
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEX53 View Post
Excellent posts. I have an '05 ZX3-S, that I purchsed new and now has 56K on the odometer. My reason is down the road, to replace air filter and not for performance related but the cost down the road at the dealer. Is there a simpler air filter replacment for under the hood. I have the basic tools but my back conditions won't let me contort into tight places. Thanks.
JT
There are no simple drop in filters or the such for the duratecs for the 05-07 models. Your only real choice is replacing the stock intake (I believe that is recommended maintence around 100,000 miles) or switch out the stock one for a CAI or SRI. The cold air or short ram would involve some time under the car and slouched over the engine bay removing the different parts of it. Which there are several parts and could cause you discomfort with your back.

Also, check the regional forums here too. Texas has lots of Focus owner's that would probably help tackle your install with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #32
JTEX53
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76909
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JTEX53 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rambleon84,
Thanks for your reply, if that's a pic of your Focus, mine is the same Sangria Metallic color. As far as mine, the after market rims makes a very basic car, look somewhat sportier. Way far from an SVT! I'm from the era of the muscle cars but at least todays cars last much longer than 3 years and worn out before they're paid for but costs are relative to the times of a min. wage in the 60's of $1.25 p/hr. We didn't even worry about insurance because there wasn't laws requiring it!
JT
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
J-Town_2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77950
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 R.I.P.-Currently 02'zx3

FF Reputation: 3 J-Town_2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
Will you get a louder sound using the stock equipment on the top side of the intake (OEM box, resonator, etc.)? Can you take the resonator off using this setup as well?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
itzblu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68057
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 itzblu Good Standing Member
yep

On my '05 FoFo with a 2.0 Duratec engine, the resonator comes attached to the cold air plastic pipe that is running down the inside of the driver's side fender. the piping including resonator had to be at least 3ft long! it was ridiculous.

my car sounds a tad throaty (?sp) but the only problem I have is that my car sounds like a HUGE vacuum on startup and does so for a few minutes.

I used the same filter/adapter setup that JHurst used and tried like a mad man to get the 3" adapter to work but no dice after 30 mins and tons of lubing. finally decided to use the 3.5" adapter and while it fits after tightening down the clamp it doesn't seem to be perfectly sealed. I wonder if this is the reason why I have that ridiculous Vacuum/sucking sound on startup?

any ideas?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
princecahan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76970
What I Drive: 2005 Tan ZX4 S

FF Reputation: 1 princecahan Good Standing Member
did you get an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smantilla View Post
i recently tried this out and somewhat had success. It works awesome and you can notice the difference but whenever i hook up my mass air flow sensor the car starts to spudder at around 3000 rpm. its so bad that all through 5th gear i can barely go past 45. any suggestions? i've tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer but no luck. it works just fine without the MAF but the check engine light turns on. any help would be greatly appreciated.

i was thinking of doing this mod to my '05 ZX4 S but am now reconsidering it because of your issue. did you ever get a response and/or find the sloution to correct the problem?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #36
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
dang why cant we put a simple better air intake on the 05-07s and not have issues with the ECU? sucks
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #37
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
I tried the stealth and found it a waste of time.
went to a steeda and have had no problems...

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #38
BlazingCopper_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23208
What I Drive: 2005 Blazing Copper ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BlazingCopper_ZX3 Good Standing Member
So when you Dyno'd your Steeda Short Ram what was your actual HP and Torque increase?

Color Matched Grill, Mid-Wing Spoiler, Clear Side Lights, Audiophile Sound System, Stealth CAI, SVT Suspension and EAP wheels, FRPP Strut Tower Brace and STS.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #39
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
I never got a stock baseline since a buck decided to fubar the ds of the car and break the stock intake tube and filter.
it did dyno with the steeda at 114.5whp and I forgot what the tq was. 2.0 w/auto and no other mods.
I havent dynoed it since I put 103's in but expect another couple hp.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Just did this to my wifes ZX4, only took an hour including setup and cleanup. The car sounds better & my butt-dyno says the engine responds better

*edit*
I used a K&N RU-3580 available on amazon for $33.20
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->