ATX Manual Fluid Flush - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
ATX Manual Fluid Flush

I have read the sticky on changing/flushing the ATX fluid however one part I'm still not clear on:

Here's what I did as per Dezurtrat's recommendation/experience. I started the engine and drain was in there. once it trickled out. I stop engine, added about 2.5 quarts and start engine.. Repeat. Until the fluid started to come out clean..er cleaner.. and no more stinky smell!!

Are you supposed to be adding fluid as the engine is running and the fluid is being pumped out or as said above you run the engine until it starts to trickle out, stop...add fluid and repeat? Is there a possibility of burning anything up via this method as there would be a brief period of time that the tranny will have no fluid? This method flushes out the cooler as well as the torque converter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Nobody??
Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That method replaces the fluid in the torque converter as well. It is what my factory Ford shop manual states as a pump flow check and flush service. You can add fluid as it is being drained or not. So long as you don't just let the engine idle for hours and hours, you shouldn't damage the torque converter.

It doesn't take long to pump all the fluid out, which is why I recommended to people that they simply crank the engine with the starter to pump fluid out. You should've pumped all your fluid in about 5 seconds if you'd already changed the filter and not refilled from that exercise. If I had an ATX, I'd also consider using this method to pump out fluid before dropping the pan to change the filter.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks