flywheel questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
stueysdad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63712
What I Drive: Soon to be black '03' zx5

FF Reputation: 1 stueysdad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
flywheel questions

Hey all, just got my 03 zx5 at last. Can't find any info on here about lightened flywheel benefits or flaws. I was thinking of the Fidanza unit and a new clutch. Any info would be great. Also, who makes a high flow exhaust system that's not too loud. I'm 39 now and try to avoid detection wherever possible. any help would be great.

Cheers,

T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
cwatson411
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60321
What I Drive: '03 Torador Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 cwatson411 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
good choice on the flywheel, thats the one i would pick. if your going to stay NA maybe you could look at the centerforce clutch.

Focus Sport has a stealth exhaust option with their catbacks, they are 2.25" in diameter and ive heard good things about them. i went with a borla b/c i love the sound of it.

Snoochie Boochies
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
volcom8716
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51408
What I Drive: 01 twilightblue wedge

FF Reputation: 2 volcom8716 Good Standing Member
i got a fidanza 8.5 lb flywheel absolutly love it and i got the centerforce dual friction clutch love it so much, grips hard isnt a hog to drive and even with the flywheel starts are still really easy... light peddle pressure... no clutch chatter..... only thing is because the flywheel is lightened you do get some transmission chatter.... and id either say magnaflow.... or focussport stealth exhaust
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
stueysdad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63712
What I Drive: Soon to be black '03' zx5

FF Reputation: 1 stueysdad Good Standing Member
cool s$%t

Sorry to sound like a tit here but, transmission chatter, could you describe that cause I've never heard of it. Yeah, I want the stealth exhaust, I want the cops to say "what was that?" rather than "get ready, he's almost here!" While I have your attention here's my list of performance mods I plan. I'd love some feedback.
1.flywheel clutch
2.intake not full CAI as I don't want to get water in it and cause myself grief.
3. underdrive pulley
4. catback exhaust I have emissions police to worry about here.
5. Maybe a header and inline cat somewhere but not right away.

I don't want to pressurize as I do want to retain some gas mileage and i'm not interested in building a grenade either. It's all about the feel and pickup of the engine not necessarily the top speed. I spend all my time trying to navigate the morons that populate the streets of this planet. Thanks in advance and cheers all

T
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #5
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
good mods you have listed there. underdrive pully is a waste of time and money. get an SVT header swap, its the best you can get it you still pass emissions with it so no problems there. fidanza 8.5lb flywheels are great, hugely improved throttle response. i had an exedy OE replacement clutch on my car for 70k+ miles and loved it, swapped it for an ACT 6 puck and had it for 12k so far and love it, the exedy still looked nearly new. throttle bodies make for much better throttle response as well, almost as much as the lightened flywheel. if you are going to have the tranny pulled to get a flywheel and clutch put on your might as well get a differential as well. the stock diff is the weakest part of the mtx-75 tranny. i had a stock diff bomb on me and this is what happened.

got a new tranny and put in a torsen LSD. let me tell you that thing is BULLET PROOF.
a set of 4.06 final drive gears would put alot more pep in your ride as well by shortening your gears a little. i would suggest that as well if you are going to have the tranny out. those are just a few things that should get you started off on the right foot. the things that i listed for the tranny will not only make the car faster but it also will make it more reliable under daily driver and extreme race conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
stueysdad - for an intake id go with the stock svt airbox it flows the best. if not that then a volant.
-Underdrive pulleys are useless all they do is make the motor rev a little better.
-For exhaust focus sport stealth if you can wait a little bit they are making a 25" stainless steel exhaust soon.
-For the header go with the svt header. It is the best header for gains and you can keep the cat(the only long tube for the focus that allows it).
ZC#200
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
volcom8716
Focus Enthusiast

when your car is in neutral and you dont have the clutch engaged it sounds like tic tic tic....... im pretty sure since your taking off alot of rotating mass the flywheel dosnt keep its momentum like it used to it slows up faster and the gears in the transmission clink a bit its nothing bad or takes life off yorur tranny its just what happens, it will actually increase the life of you engine by taking stress off the main bearings.... ill try to get a decent digital camera and get a clip for you so the sound quality isnt piss poor
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
volcom8716
Focus Enthusiast

oh and faster then you nice to see another foci with the shocker
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom8716 View Post
oh and faster then you nice to see another foci with the shocker
thanx man. were is yours? post a pic.
ZC#200
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
cwatson411
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60321
What I Drive: '03 Torador Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 cwatson411 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_than_u View Post
stueysdad - for an intake id go with the stock svt airbox it flows the best. if not that then a volant.
-Underdrive pulleys are useless all they do is make the motor rev a little better.
-For exhaust focus sport stealth if you can wait a little bit they are making a 25" stainless steel exhaust soon.
-For the header go with the svt header. It is the best header for gains and you can keep the cat(the only long tube for the focus that allows it).
FS is coming out with 2.5"?! cool, thats the main reason why i didnt get there exhaust.

Snoochie Boochies

Bookmarks & Social Networks