Checking Ford PCM Updates Yourself...Extremely Helpful Site (MotorCraft) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Checking Ford PCM Updates Yourself...Extremely Helpful Site (MotorCraft)

Hi guys, in my never-ending search on how to improve my Focus, I have come across this site that is KEY for anything Ford-related. The site itself is:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...p?menuIndex1=2

It is just a part of the Motorcraft site. If you want, you can subscribe as well, for all access. Luckily, there are some tools in there that you can use without a subscription. In this case, I am talking about the checking for Updates section. You can also look for TSBs, if you subscribe...from what I know, their online subscriptions for their tech manuals cannot and will not be bettered by anyone else. Blows ALLDATA out of the water. Trust me on that one.

I have had a lot of people asking me about TSBs and updates, so I decided to post how to look them up yourself. The TSBs you need to subscribe. The updates you do not. I am going to post the how-to from a dealer I know of that has posted them up already. This will let you know if there actually is an update out there for you...not just for the Focus, but for any Ford. That way, you do not have to waste time/money bringing it in to the dealer.

Please read the how-to. It seems complicated at first, but it really isnt. Once you understand it, it takes less than a minute.

Thanks.

GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
This is the How-To, Thanks to Drew

This is basically what I do at work, but more on the GM side (since they are a lot easier). Ford put catchword stickers or "tear tags" on their PCMs and either under the hood or in the door jams of the Front Doors. They are usually hard to find, but for my 2000 4.0L SOHC it was right on the computer/connector (passenger firewall).

go here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...p?menuIndex1=2 and then click on Quick Guides in the left hand column, and then Latest Calibration Information (read that if you must) but then click on the bottom link on the page that says "Latest Calibration Information in Excel"

Here's a pic of the tag you need:

So lets use that for an example. So the code is JFA8. What you do is bring up your Excel sheet and type CTRL + F (which is FIND). Type in your code: JFA8

What it'll do is take you to the catchword that goes with your vehicle. These catchwords are model specific.

What you see should be your vehicle. In this case it's a 2000 Ford Focus with a Zetec 2.0L

Now what about those part numbers?

Well the part number on the left (98AB-ZJ) is your old one (which is probably in the vehicle - unless you know it's been updated). The one on the right is the new update YU7A-DTA. Now, before you think that's too easy...you're right. What you have to do is try to find that "new part number" in the old part number section. If you find it (which you will), and theres another part number to the right, that means the update has been updated (basically two updates for your vehicle). If it has a hyphen in the New Part Number section then that last part number you looked at is the newest update. It sounds hard, but it isn't.

So on the Excel line 6950 you see YU7A-DTA in the Old Part Number section. And then in the New Part Number section you see a hyphen. That means YU7A-DTA is the latest update for that vehicle.

What sucks about this system, it doesn't tell you what the update does. GM's website tells you exactly what the update does. Ford will not until you get into the whole reprogramming ordeal. Also what sucks, is that to find EXACTLY what software part number is in your PCM you have to hook up a scanner (I have used a factory NGS for older vehicles, but the new laptop based Ford software IDS will work - I have not had to use it yet). The NGS will work on mostly everything 2005 and back, while the IDS will work on 05-06+ due to it being CAN capible. The NGS can be updated to CAN, but if you are going to get the IDS software then there's no reason.

Hopefully that gives you a little idea of how things are done. Enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
gokart2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31234
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ST w/SAP#1

FF Reputation: 14 gokart2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very nice! You say they do "re-tag" the ecu after a reflash?
ST Crew #90
My wife---><----Me
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

They should.

The purpose of this is just to see where you are...if you have had an update done once or twice, just make sure they give you the latest catchword...you should be able to call in for that if you are not sure.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
justjake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60533
What I Drive: 2001 zx3

FF Reputation: 7 justjake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I support the motorcraft website actually. And if you've noticed we actually offer free technical assistance by calling us! Totally free!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Do you guys handle radio issues?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I wonder could you just call in with your VIN and find the date of the latest PCM program. Like if you've owned the car for a year, and the latest update is six months old, you could get a reflash (paying for it of course).

Getting the # off the PCM module won't tell you if the thing was ever reflashed...they don't mark the PCM with the new reflash #. Don't think anyway....
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
tetra
pwned

Fan#: 60621
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 10 tetra Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice find! I think BradWhite has a subscription to that site. I bug him when I need some specific specs!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
I wonder could you just call in with your VIN and find the date of the latest PCM program. Like if you've owned the car for a year, and the latest update is six months old, you could get a reflash (paying for it of course).

Getting the # off the PCM module won't tell you if the thing was ever reflashed...they don't mark the PCM with the new reflash #. Don't think anyway....
yeah...well u would have to know where u stand. with no point of reference, it wont work.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

can this be stickied?

Bookmarks & Social Networks