The N/A Zetec Performance Thread - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #71
blkthunder
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34375
What I Drive: 06 G35

FF Reputation: 5 blkthunder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Exhaust, then full intake (cai/sri, throttle body, possibly early 00 intake mani)
Tune
Cams w/gears
Head work
Then possibly race intake manifold and possibly 4.10 gears at that point.

The list goes on and on, just depends where you wanna stop.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #72
2003 ZX3 2.0L
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90121
What I Drive: 2003, Black, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2003 ZX3 2.0L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How can i get my 2003 zx3 to 200+hp
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #73
jchris17
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82587
What I Drive: 2002 techno blue and gun metal zx3

FF Reputation: 1 jchris17 Good Standing Member
Nice list, I've been debating what to do to my zx3 performance wise and this does help out a lot
Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #74
xScreamerSE
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90662
What I Drive: 2000 Black-Black Flowmaster Cat SE

FF Reputation: 1 xScreamerSE Good Standing Member
Okay i have a 2000 Focus SE and i just put a Flowmaster catback exhaust on the other day. At first it was kinda quiet but then i let the gas run out and put 93 grade gasoline in. It sounds a whole lot better but the downside is when i rev; the RPM's drop down and theres low popping or grumbling sound like a Honda with a 3.5 inch exhaust smh. My friend told me that i may be running rich; because i do have a huge problem with gas and i need to replace my plugs because the maintenance of this car wasn't done entirely before i bought it earlier this year. What by this what do you think my prob is?

what else could i do to boost performance after this. I also installed a Steeda CAI.
im trying to get to at least 250hp by this upcoming summer.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #75
Pepsibottle1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95750
What I Drive: 2004 Honda Element EX AWD

FF Reputation: 1 Pepsibottle1 Good Standing Member
Sorry for the bump but I've been doing a lot of research myself as I'm considering buying a ZX3 Zetec and doing an all motor build.

What strikes me as intriguing is when you compare the Zetec to say stock rice B series, there's a 20 horsepower gap between the two despite the Zetec having a slightly higher capacity. On the other hand, the Zetec is much torquier. Also interesting is where the two engines are making these numbers. The Zetec peaks at around 5800 revs whilst the B16 is making peak power up at 7600. Other than that, the two engines are similar.

After reading around on the forums, I just wonder why the general consensus is that 200hp is the max output for a Zetec? Guys are pushing 240-250 with N/A B16's, what's holding the Zetec back? Forget about the money nor time needed to do so, I want to know if one of these engines can push 235 all motor.

I'm going to be going to ODU this fall to study Motorsports Engineering Technology and when I get out (or hell, if I had $8000 bucks to spend), I want to build an all motor Zetec pushing over 200 (235 ideally). It's crazy as hell and although I could easily get that with forced induction, you have to respect a 4cyl making numbers like that N/A. I'd also like to take a S-Type and do a possible AWD conversion but that's a whole nother thread altogether and I won't go into that.

So 235 is what I believe to be the ideal number. Anymore than that I feel is overkill for a front wheel drive car because I want something more track oriented and torque steer would be a big issue.

The question lies in how to get there. Obviously, you'd have to go the whole nine yards. Pistons, rods, port, head, camshaft, there'd be some serious engine work to be done. Compression ratio through the roof. But is it possible? I think it is. What I'd like to know is how the Zetec would perform if one was to fully build one out and run it at 8000rpm. With a higher compression ration, better breathing, crazy cams and some ecu work, could we be pushing power past 6700rpm? That's what I wanna know. It looks to me that there's a lot that can be made with the engine IF one had the dedication to go that route. I also would be interested in seeing a Zetec put on a airflow bench. That would tell us what could truly be made

"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict. "
- Carroll Shelby
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #76
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 136,249, Level 100
Points: 136,249, Level: 100 Points: 136,249, Level: 100 Points: 136,249, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 69%
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
The head on the zetec does not flow now where near like the B-series motors that's why we can't make the power they make. Or well we can get close but by then your using race gas. Also you can take the zetec to 8k rpm but we are known to have oil pump failures even with the billet oil pump gears they can still break.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #77
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,320, Level 100
Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsibottle1 View Post
Sorry for the bump but I've been doing a lot of research myself as I'm considering buying a ZX3 Zetec and doing an all motor build.

What strikes me as intriguing is when you compare the Zetec to say stock rice B series, there's a 20 horsepower gap between the two despite the Zetec having a slightly higher capacity. On the other hand, the Zetec is much torquier. Also interesting is where the two engines are making these numbers. The Zetec peaks at around 5800 revs whilst the B16 is making peak power up at 7600. Other than that, the two engines are similar.

After reading around on the forums, I just wonder why the general consensus is that 200hp is the max output for a Zetec? Guys are pushing 240-250 with N/A B16's, what's holding the Zetec back? Forget about the money nor time needed to do so, I want to know if one of these engines can push 235 all motor.

I'm going to be going to ODU this fall to study Motorsports Engineering Technology and when I get out (or hell, if I had $8000 bucks to spend), I want to build an all motor Zetec pushing over 200 (235 ideally). It's crazy as hell and although I could easily get that with forced induction, you have to respect a 4cyl making numbers like that N/A. I'd also like to take a S-Type and do a possible AWD conversion but that's a whole nother thread altogether and I won't go into that.

So 235 is what I believe to be the ideal number. Anymore than that I feel is overkill for a front wheel drive car because I want something more track oriented and torque steer would be a big issue.

The question lies in how to get there. Obviously, you'd have to go the whole nine yards. Pistons, rods, port, head, camshaft, there'd be some serious engine work to be done. Compression ratio through the roof. But is it possible? I think it is. What I'd like to know is how the Zetec would perform if one was to fully build one out and run it at 8000rpm. With a higher compression ration, better breathing, crazy cams and some ecu work, could we be pushing power past 6700rpm? That's what I wanna know. It looks to me that there's a lot that can be made with the engine IF one had the dedication to go that route. I also would be interested in seeing a Zetec put on a airflow bench. That would tell us what could truly be made
Yes it can be done I did it back in the early 2000`s for a track car , almost 14to 1 compression , custom cams , HUGH head from a casting you cant find any more , custom intake , SVT header etc , question is ... why do it needs 12.00 a gallon fuel , will eat it self in about 5000 miles , to much cost for the return but it has been done , did 230ish

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #78
Pepsibottle1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95750
What I Drive: 2004 Honda Element EX AWD

FF Reputation: 1 Pepsibottle1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Yes it can be done I did it back in the early 2000`s for a track car , almost 14to 1 compression , custom cams , HUGH head from a casting you cant find any more , custom intake , SVT header etc , question is ... why do it needs 12.00 a gallon fuel , will eat it self in about 5000 miles , to much cost for the return but it has been done , did 230ish

Tom
Well, it's something that I've thought of for awhile and to pull something like that off I feel would be a pretty large feat. I mean, even getting to 210 would be more than enough and if you did decide to go forced induction, you would have a great base to work with. But a 230 horse Zetec? That's some major respect points. Personally, I'm an all motor guy myself so that's why I would go that route and it's something I've always dreamed of doing. Noone would expect a N/A Zetec to make that power and that's what is so appealing to me. Heck, I'd be satisfied with 210 or 200 like I said

I've looked about and there is a English company called CNC heads that sell custom fabricated cylinder heads. I wonder what the gains are from those.

"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict. "
- Carroll Shelby
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #79
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,426, Level 86
Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I should be able to confirm weather or not better than 200 is possible in the next few months.
Also once the summer fuel comes back I need to run a before dyno. My bottom end will consist of Eagle rods and Wossner 12:1 pistons. With my shaved head this should put my static compression ratio near the 14:1 point, I'll have to clay/measure to make sure though. last dyno was half-assed tuned and on a different intake manifold. I now have the Ford Racing Intake Manifold and a bit more tuning into it as well as more RPM.
Even still I'm easily 200 motor HP as it sits.
My goal from the get go has been 200 wheel HP, at reasonable cost.

I see 235 being easily attainable, with enough RPM. Which happens to be what you're overlooking when comparing the zetec to Honda's. I'm sure once you get a bit of schooling under your belt you'll understand the interactions better and see were you're errors are.

The kicker on any high compression build is the quality of the fuel. Pump 93 isn't going to cut it if you want good real power.
... but I'm not using 'gasoline' so I'm not really scared of deto.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #80
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,320, Level 100
Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
E85 isnt going to cut it either at 14.1 compression , what are you going to Alcohol ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.