Washington/Oregon Tail Light Laws - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Regional Forums > North West Fanatics

North West Fanatics Serving the Oregon, Washington and Alaska regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Knoxcide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54901
What I Drive: 2003 Nissan Frontier Supercharged

FF Reputation: 1 Knoxcide Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Washington/Oregon Tail Light Laws

Hey guys,

Had a quick question, maybe one or some of you may be able to answer. What is the state(s) laws on Tail Lights? I want to smoke mine in the future, however I do not know the law, is it legal? The brake light needs to be visible to a certain distance right?

If anyone can shed any light on this, that'd be great!

I thought I seen your tail lights were smoked Brad, does that mean its legal??

- Casey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
djo90
because race car

Fan#: 60957
What I Drive: 2007 ms3

FF Reputation: 6 djo90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
They probably are. They are in ID I believe I have a friend who gets pulled over for them
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 45759
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

Points 95,704, Level 100
Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100 Points: 95,704, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 21 gonefhsn Great Standing Member
You have to beable to see the tail and brake lights from 1000 feet away here in WA. Hope that helps ya

FFMODERATOR

Last edited by gonefhsn; 03-26-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
RCW 46.37.100
Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, back-up lamps, and reflectors.

(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop lamp or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that on any vehicle forty or more years old, or on any motorcycle regardless of age, the taillight may also contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a back-up lamp shall be white or amber.

RCW 46.37.050
Tail lamps.

(1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in RCW 46.37.020, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, shall have at least one tail lamp. On a combination of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

(2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.

(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

RCW 46.37.060
Reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That vehicles of the types mentioned in RCW 46.37.090 shall be equipped with reflectors meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.110 and 46.37.120.

(2) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2), and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1970, shall be visible at night from all distances within three hundred and fifty feet to one hundred feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.

Everything above talks about the "lamp" color and visibility requirements, I could not find anything in the RCWs that says the "lens" on the tail lights has to be red. But I'm not an attorney and who knows where they may have stuck some other law. I copied all of the above to a word doc and put it in my glove box so I'll have something to discuss with the cop that pulls me over.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Knoxcide
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome guys! Thanks.

Printing and putting this in the glovebox is a clever idea brad!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
leh0825
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!

Fan#: 63206
What I Drive: 04 F250 FX4 6.0L

FF Reputation: 8 leh0825 Good Standing Member
so im confused djo... they are "illegal" in idaho.. i know the headlights that you can get the smoked cover for are pretty much illegal.... but tail lights i don't know about..... i was going to do the night shades.....
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
BlinkSterZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14493
What I Drive: 2003 SVT, BRIGHT ASS YELLOW, 6 spee

FF Reputation: 1 BlinkSterZX3 Good Standing Member
well even if it legal or illegal

if it is legal or not, you probally still get harassed, I painted mine, on my black zx3, it looked really good, 20 times better then night shade!! the tinted windows and blacked out taillights, and side markers!! really cleaned it up! but i was harassed alot, had not got any tickets, from it though, but they would still stop me, for noise or speed, at times. There was the one cop who stopped me, i turned my light off cause it was night, and he walked up and hit my tail light, when i mean hit , i mean pounded on like thump thump!!! it pissed me off, so bad, i didn't get a ticket though for any thing he pulled me over cause i turned into a parking lot, and then turned out of it on to another road, cause i missed my turn!! he said something stupid! but anyways if you do tint them or whatever, make sure your bulbs are bright enough, that was a problem i had. I treid those dumb LED replacement bulbs and they were not very bright at all the cop said something about those to, but lucky i had the stock bulbs in my car so my friend and i got out and changed right there on the side of the road at like 9 at night. good luck just remember the more your car stick out from the others on the road the cops are going profile you!!!

EUGENE CREW 1#
Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Captain Moonpie
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Like said above, if they can see the lights from 1000 ft away you are good. However, if a cop wants to get after you, he could say the way the sun was behind you made it dificult and would then ticket you. I took my tinted tails off for this reason.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Knoxcide
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good replies fellas. I think I will purchase a back up set of tail lights, and smoke the other, in case i need to switch them back :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.