Basic Bolt Ons: Cat back exhaust systems - Page 15 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #141
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib12SE View Post
I had a custom 3in straight pipe on my turbo corolla. the megan racing muffler came with a silencer, without it, my car would give you a headache at highway speeds. With it, my car was not much louder than stock, i was able to have conversations and hear the radio while on the highway. Import Tuner did a test and found that silencers don't drop power (in lower power NA applications like the miata they tested)
Are you talking a headache from within the vehicle, as in being the passangers? Or do you mean it would give everyone outside the vehicle a headache?
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #142
phocusphreak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36424
What I Drive: R.I.P-01SPI&02SVT;^ 08DRTC & 03 SPI

FF Reputation: 3 phocusphreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
i got a couple of 304 steel sticks. anyone know where i can find an example layout of our exhaust? my buddy said his shop will bend the piping. i just have to let them know what i want for bends.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #143
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

If I go ahead and buy the Race Exhaust and install it, what do I do when Smog rolls around? It's not CARB legal, and I can't exactly put the stock one back on, so, what will I have to do in order to pass Smog?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #144
PStroked444
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83309
What I Drive: 03, Silver, 2.3L, ATX, 4dr,

FF Reputation: 1 PStroked444 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
there is one that is 50 state legal. It is there cat back exhaust. check it out fswerks....
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #145
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStroked444 View Post
there is one that is 50 state legal. It is there cat back exhaust. check it out fswerks....

Yeah, I'm not interested in the Street Exhaust. It's all sound with no real performance effect.

I want the Race, but if I do that, I need to know what to do when Smog rolls around. Do they even thoroughly look at the exhaust system?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #146
dhoff024
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78198
What I Drive: 2009,black,ford focus ses coupe

FF Reputation: 1 dhoff024 Good Standing Member
I have an 09 focus coupe that I am looking at an exhaust for I have looked at the fswerks as well as the trubendz ones. I like both systems the question I have is if you buy a trubendz I am pretty sure you can buy the whole system in 2.5 ss tubing for about $330 and you have the choice of a magnaflow muffler or an Aero turbine muffler. is this correct? if it is which muffler sounds better I am looking for a lower tone and not a loud whiny sound. I want anicetone nothing extremely loud. with the fswerks one I like nlboth the street and stealth models I just think the stealth is to quiet and I am not sure what kind of sound the street has any insite opinions or experiences are appreciated. I would love to just wait and get the St but I am looking to see what upgrading mine would b like. plus the St keeps being pushed back.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #147
ppcblaster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66656
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 ppcblaster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
The next thing most people install on their cars is an aftermarket exhaust to help it breathe better to free up a few ponies as well as give it a sportier tone. Headers are covered in a different topic. All these models will fit all Duratec motors unless otherwise specified. The only exception are those with the factory 06-07 Street Appearance Package which may require a little modification.

Common brands are:

Magnaflow

Borla (discontinued)
Trubendz
MBRP
FocusSport regular and stealth models
F2
NEW!Ford Racing (2012 Only)

"Lunchbox delete"

There is also always the option of having a system custom ran at a local shop. Make sure you are specific about exactly what you want done so you don't end up with a cheap muffler and 1" rusty tubing.

There are many issues to discuss when talking about cat back systems. Here are a few of them.

SOUND
One thing an aftermarket system will always have over stock is a distinctive sound. Sound is a personal choice, whether you want it to be loud and deep or quiet and rumbling, there is a cat back setup for you.

Many systems are much louder than stock. When this becomes a problem especially when combined with a race header, you have a few things you can do to quiet your system down. FocusSport offers a stealth option which adds a larger resonator to the system, Trubendz offers the ability to customize your set up by choosing your own muffler and resonator.

PERFORMANCE
This is to me one of the most important aspects of a an exhaust system. To start with, when choosing your setup, you need to take into consideration some of your future plans. If you are planning on staying relatively mild and just using bolt ons, then a 2.25 system will be more than enough for you. However, if you plan on a serious N/A build or the use of forced induction, a 2.5 system will provide much better gains. Borla, MBRP and Trubendz make the best 2.5 cat back systems

PRICE
Cat back setups can run anywhere from $125 all the way up to $650, its up to you what you want to spend. The gains are not increased by spending more however the advantages of Stainless Steel (especially in northern climates) are well worth the money.

LINKS:

Trubendz Exhaust System Install on a 08' Sedan

Exhaust Videos and Sound Clips

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!
FocusSport regular and stealth models

F2

Are dead links
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #148
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Yeah, I'm not interested in the Street Exhaust. It's all sound with no real performance effect.

I want the Race, but if I do that, I need to know what to do when Smog rolls around. Do they even thoroughly look at the exhaust system?

As long as you don't mess w/ the converter, which you have a mani/cat. The manifold is also part of the converter. If you get the race exhaust later you might need a resonator or a muffler behind the flex aka Stealth muffler.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #149
2010sesblue
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104691
What I Drive: 2010 eletric blue ses

FF Reputation: 1 2010sesblue Good Standing Member
Need an exhaust for a 2010

Well like the title says i have a 2010 focus ses and i need an exhaust for my car i dont like a rattle can sound im looking for a low growling rumble not to loud i know its asking a lot but i would like to have one i was looking but i cant seem to find one anyone help?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #150
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010sesblue View Post
Well like the title says i have a 2010 focus ses and i need an exhaust for my car i dont like a rattle can sound im looking for a low growling rumble not to loud i know its asking a lot but i would like to have one i was looking but i cant seem to find one anyone help?
Have you looked at Fwerk's. They also have sound clips too.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks