Key getting stuck? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
zx3cutieinoc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10464
What I Drive: 2001 Metallic red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3cutieinoc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Key getting stuck?

Okay, so here's the deal!!! I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I figured it's worth a try to figure out if anyone else is experiencing the same aggrivating problem. My key gets stuck in my ignition. If I use my normal key, I can manage to get it out with a little jiggle and a twirk lol. But the other day someone else had put the key in the ignition for me, and it was JAMMED!! I mean all the way in there. There was no possible way of getting it out, other than getting the entire ignition replaced (According to Llovio ford in South Gate) Is anyone else experiencing this problem? And if you have, how did you get past it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
sitlet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 970
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sitlet Good Standing Member
this is a common problem for the focus. the only thing you can try is to wiggle the steering wheel. if it still wont come out, you will need to replace your ignition cylinder
Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
ztsfocused
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1700
What I Drive: 2000 ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ztsfocused Good Standing Member
That happened to me too man. What happens is the steering wheel column seizes up and you cant pull the ignition key out. Ther should be a recall on that. Just get the car towed to the ford dealership and call Dearborn Mich and complain to Ford. Thats what I did. They fixed it for free. The steering wheel column and ignition are faulty. Its a pain though.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
swk110
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9989
What I Drive: 2010 Red SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 swk110 Good Standing Member
I had it completely seize on me. I'll have to go back and look to see if I had to pay for the replacement or if it was still under warranty at the time.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
Kicknzx3
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
for one, welcome to the forum steph.

two, there is a tsb for this problem, number 02-18-2 ...its been around since 2002 and i think if u do head to ford, mention the tsb, u may not have much of a problem. have any warr. left?
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 07-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
thatgemguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10499
FF Reputation: 1 thatgemguy Good Standing Member
Unhappy Key stuck...

My wife had this problem on her 2003 Focus LX, the key got stuck in the ignition and would not turn.

She had to get the car towed to a dealer who replaced the lock and had to code cut new keys for the vehicle. We were charged over $400 for the repairs.

We know that this is a common problem for the Ford Focus, the tow truck driver said he tows a couple a month, even the Ford dealer who did the repair admits they have to fix this problem quite frequently.

I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Relationship in Dearborn, they said that there is no recall, and denied that there is any problem with the ignition lock.

This car is less than 2 years off the production line, and the problem occured at 38,000 mi. (just out of warranty).

I've read other places on the internet, that Ford was paying for this repair, if the car was less than 6 years old, with less than 75,000 mi.

This is the first Ford product that I've ever owned, even though I like the car, if Ford won't stand behind it's product, it will probably be the last.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
You can also run a search on this board, this has been discussed in the past before.....

Also, Welcome to the Site!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #8
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Re: Key stuck...

Quote:
Originally posted by thatgemguy
My wife had this problem on her 2003 Focus LX, the key got stuck in the ignition and would not turn.

She had to get the car towed to a dealer who replaced the lock and had to code cut new keys for the vehicle. We were charged over $400 for the repairs.

We know that this is a common problem for the Ford Focus, the tow truck driver said he tows a couple a month, even the Ford dealer who did the repair admits they have to fix this problem quite frequently.

I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Relationship in Dearborn, they said that there is no recall, and denied that there is any problem with the ignition lock.

This car is less than 2 years off the production line, and the problem occured at 38,000 mi. (just out of warranty).

I've read other places on the internet, that Ford was paying for this repair, if the car was less than 6 years old, with less than 75,000 mi.

This is the first Ford product that I've ever owned, even though I like the car, if Ford won't stand behind it's product, it will probably be the last.
give 'em the TSB# that kickn mentioned and demand a refund! someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but any issue that has a TSB associated to it is a free repair regardless of your current warranty status.

Mike
Old 07-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
2000FordFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9275
What I Drive: Vintage 2000 Focus SE Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 2000FordFocus Good Standing Member
we should file a formal complaint to ford and get it has a recall man, my car is out of warranty already and worry the up coming weather will get my key stuck again~
Old 07-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
sieben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8152
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sieben Good Standing Member
Re: Re: Key stuck...

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteboyslo
give 'em the TSB# that kickn mentioned and demand a refund! someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but any issue that has a TSB associated to it is a free repair regardless of your current warranty status.

Mike
A TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) is a bit of information for service issues. It does not guarantee any free work outside of the vehicles original warranty(unless stated in the TSB). On the other hand, a recall is a whole different story. With recalls most of the time a recall will extend extra coverage to that issue and only that issue like the firestone tire recall on the explorers.

Bookmarks & Social Networks